The Student Room Group

What would you rather: Fake friends, or no friends at all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
fake friends ... id get bored with no friends :rolleyes:
I recently dumped my fake friends when I realised they'd stopped inviting me on any nights out that weren't pool socials. I also quit the pool team. I've decided to be better friends with the acquaintances on my course (and two friends on my course that I made last year when I dumped my former best friend for sleeping with the guy I really liked), and it was the best decision I ever made.
Reply 42
Original post by cl_steele
fake friends ... id get bored with no friends :rolleyes:

Only boring people get bored.
Reply 43
Original post by minimarshmallow
I recently dumped my fake friends when I realised they'd stopped inviting me on any nights out that weren't pool socials. I also quit the pool team. I've decided to be better friends with the acquaintances on my course (and two friends on my course that I made last year when I dumped my former best friend for sleeping with the guy I really liked), and it was the best decision I ever made.

How can you know that it's the 'best decision' you have ever made if you only did it recently?
Unless you're Gatsby if you're not Gatsby than no friends.
Reply 45
Original post by Iron Lady
Only boring people get bored.

or people with no friends and as such nothing to do...
Reply 46
Original post by cl_steele
or people with no friends and as such nothing to do...

It's great being independent though.
Original post by Iron Lady
How can you know that it's the 'best decision' you have ever made if you only did it recently?

Recently meaning a little over a month ago, not too recent for me not to know but not a long time in terms of my life...
I'm much happier spending my Friday and Saturday nights chatting with people off my course (be that online or in the learning zone) than in clubs with people who are pretending to like me because we're on the same sports team.
No friends, though it's easier said than done. I'm a far more productive person when I commit to being a loner.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
In my experience as a woman, other women are more likely to be "fakers" than my male friends. I'm sure this is because of women's influence as social arbiters - I.e. they get to evaluate who's best for a particular social group. They put on a friendly face with everyone even those they don't like because it protects their reputation amongst their peers. Then if you're a woman, once you fall out with one person, you have to fall out with a whole bunch because of tribal loyalties. If you don't demonstrate your loyalty to one friend by hating on a woman she doesn't like, then you might have lost her as a friend. Whereas with men, they don't have the resources to waste time on those they don't like. If they don't like you, they don't tend to make a huge issue out of it (save the stereotypical exceptions).

Whether I think someone is worth keeping as a "fake friend" rather depends on who they are and how useful they could potentially be for my career/social aspirations. In such situations both parties are aware of the fakeness of their friendship and its mutually agreed benefits. These fake friends could be a route to making proper friends. However in general I'd rather have no friends than fake ones because I am confident in my ability to make friends with people as long as I am in the right place. I can tell you that having no friends really sucks though.
Reply 50
its funny i read this, there are about 10 girls in my year, all horrible little things and i as much as their supposed to be friends, all they do is bitch about each other behind their backs... its stupid and fake.

I actually have lovely, beautiful, genuine friends because i am a person that wouldn't say bad things about my friends behind their backs, and if i have a problem with someone, i say it to their face.
Reply 51
I just simply don't trust people. Theoretically I have people who I call my 'friends', there's always a laugh with them etc, but I know it's not true friendship. I wouldn't call them fake, because they feel the same way - we're great friends when we want to joke around, but when we have problems, we just don't tell each other. Not that type of a friendship...
It's so much better when you just don't trust people and don't care. Don't have to worry if people are being honest or not.
No friends.

Having had quite a number of fake friends, I can say that the experience was more crushing than when I was alone.
Reply 53
None at all. Although i would like to feel joy of using them.

Quick Reply

Latest