The Student Room Group

Official 2012 Biochemistry Applicants*

Scroll to see replies

Anyone had an offer from Lancaster? I've been waiting for ages :smile:

Also, did anyone receive offer for Biochemistry from St. Andrews?
Original post by CeeTay
which ones have you been to out of your selection? :smile: when i went to universitys i just got a 'feeling' like when i knew i wanted to be there or, for example, notts, i just felt like it was all very nice and i couldn't tell you what it was i didn't like it just didn't seem like where i wanted to be :smile:

The problem was I liked Leicester, York and UEA, so it was difficult to eliminate. I didn't like the feel of Nottingham either so snap :smile:
In the end, I chose York, I followed my heart. Cheers for your help! :biggrin:
I am wondering what i should take, biochem at Bath or Edinburgh. Can I please get your opinions.
Original post by Iamstudenter
I am wondering what i should take, biochem at Bath or Edinburgh. Can I please get your opinions.

Not sure but I (think) Bath is a bit better for biosciences
Original post by 365andaquarter
Applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Aberdeen and Strathclyde. :smile:
GCSE's: 3A*'s, 6A's
AS:AAA(Biology, Chemistry and Geography) Plus a C in A2 maths.
Predicted:A*AA (Biology, Chemistry and Geography)

I've got all 5 of my offers back:
Strathclyde (BScBiochem with Pharmacology): Conditional BBB
Aberdeen (MSci Biochem with Ind. Exp.): Conditional ABB
Glasgow (Bsc Biochem with option to do Msci): Conditional ABB
Edinburgh (Bsc Biochem): Conditional AAA
St. Andrews: UNCONDITIONAL! :biggrin:

I don't know whether to go to St. Andrews or Glasgow though, I loved the Glasgow campus and the Glasgow course gives me the chance of a year abroad or a year in industry but St. Andrews has an amazing reputation.

Just wondering where you guys think I should go in terms of better job prospects/employability after I graduate?
Reply 325
Disadvantages of bristol?
Reply 326
Original post by 365andaquarter
I've got all 5 of my offers back:
Strathclyde (BScBiochem with Pharmacology): Conditional BBB
Aberdeen (MSci Biochem with Ind. Exp.): Conditional ABB
Glasgow (Bsc Biochem with option to do Msci): Conditional ABB
Edinburgh (Bsc Biochem): Conditional AAA
St. Andrews: UNCONDITIONAL! :biggrin:

I don't know whether to go to St. Andrews or Glasgow though, I loved the Glasgow campus and the Glasgow course gives me the chance of a year abroad or a year in industry but St. Andrews has an amazing reputation.

Just wondering where you guys think I should go in terms of better job prospects/employability after I graduate?

Congratulations :smile: !! I really wanted Edinburgh but was rejected...
I would go there if I were you, :tongue: They're really well ranked in the world rankings, after them there's St Andrew's!
Reply 327
Original post by thelovecats
Anyone here definitely firmed Sheffield?

It's my insurance! :smile:
Reply 328
Hi I currently am firming an offer for Biochemistry at the university of Nottingham and am on a gap year.

I need to get back into refreshing my knowledge before I go off again because I've gone a bit rusty.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good magazine/ journals or even text books for me to subscribe to or buy.

Any help appreciated
Original post by ps_nick
Hi I currently am firming an offer for Biochemistry at the university of Nottingham and am on a gap year.

I need to get back into refreshing my knowledge before I go off again because I've gone a bit rusty.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good magazine/ journals or even text books for me to subscribe to or buy.

Any help appreciated

How much money are you willing to spend?
Reply 330
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
How much money are you willing to spend?

up to 200 single cost or 10- 30 a month
Hello,

Currently I've been rejected by both Edinburgh and St.Andrews. Nevertheless, I hold offers from Sheffield(4-year Masters) and York(Sandwich Year). Could you please advice me which uni is better and also what is more useful: Masters or Sandwich year? Also I'd like to acquire some knowledge of biochemistry in advance and thus I need a recommendation on textbooks. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by ps_nick
up to 200 single cost or 10- 30 a month

You might want to find out what core text books Nottingham suggests.

If you can't find anything, I'd recommend 'Biochemistry' by Voet and Voet (2011, 4th edition). It's a brilliant book that covers everything you could possibly want to know. That'll cost about £50.

Other than that, you might have heard of the journals 'Nature' or 'Science'. They've got websites with their latest publications. Everything new discovered in biochemistry will be published there.

You also can't go wrong watching some online lectures.
Original post by Valentas
Hello,

Currently I've been rejected by both Edinburgh and St.Andrews. Nevertheless, I hold offers from Sheffield(4-year Masters) and York(Sandwich Year). Could you please advice me which uni is better and also what is more useful: Masters or Sandwich year? Also I'd like to acquire some knowledge of biochemistry in advance and thus I need a recommendation on textbooks. Thank you. :smile:

Masters are more useful than sandwich years imo cos you get the extra lab experience but at the same time end up with a more advanced degree.
Is anyone going to University of Birmingham for MEdocal Biochemistry?
Medical*
Reply 336
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
You might want to find out what core text books Nottingham suggests.

If you can't find anything, I'd recommend 'Biochemistry' by Voet and Voet (2011, 4th edition). It's a brilliant book that covers everything you could possibly want to know. That'll cost about £50.

Other than that, you might have heard of the journals 'Nature' or 'Science'. They've got websites with their latest publications. Everything new discovered in biochemistry will be published there.

You also can't go wrong watching some online lectures.

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by Hullabaloo2803
Is anyone going to University of Birmingham for MEdocal Biochemistry?

I had an offer today so I guess I am.
Hello, just wondered if anyone is off to Exeter for biochemistry? After being rejected for veterinary I'm considering going through Extra. I'm looking at the 4 year with placement. I just wondered the pros and cons of the sandwich compared to MSci. I'm looking to do a phd after so thought the year placement would be good experience for that.
Reply 339
Original post by lauraxjane
Hello, just wondered if anyone is off to Exeter for biochemistry? After being rejected for veterinary I'm considering going through Extra. I'm looking at the 4 year with placement. I just wondered the pros and cons of the sandwich compared to MSci. I'm looking to do a phd after so thought the year placement would be good experience for that.

i have an offer, and I think i'm going to use it as my insurance.. you may need to email the university to check that they are actually in extra because being on ucas doesn't necessarily mean that they have places on offer :smile:

is anyone on here in edinburgh next week ? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest