The Student Room Group

Is the English language being destroyed?

To you agree that the English language is being butchered by texting, abbreaviations and the widespread use of 'Americanisms'?

I find that younger people today, with a wider access to mobile phones and other technology are becoming more accustomed to using text language and spend more time online than reading.

Are you concerned by this? What are your views?
Reply 1
can't you be reading when you're online? I do a lot of general reading on t'internet.
Reply 2
Language evolves and changes over time. Whoda thunk it.
I think that language itself is rather pointless.
Reply 4
Yes it is,soon most people won't speak any language in England because the teaching of MFL isn't going too well in the country and we can only speak English Language.How will we communicate?
You have no idea how language works do you?

"I am of the opinion that our tung shold be written cleane and pure, vnmixt and vnmangeled with borrowing of other tunges" That was John Cheke in 1561. He's probably laughing at your awful spelling right now.

Like most prescriptivists, you're just completely ignorant to how the development of language occurs aren't you?
Reply 6
Another fact to consider is the 30%,who fail English Language to grade C and the millions of adults who can't do english language,to grade G-12 million.
Reply 7
The English language has not fallen totally into desuetude but is at risk of becoming moribund; it is our bounden duty to revivify our mother tongue in our quotidian intercourse
Reply 8
nah im not worried by it. apart from the americanisms but thats just me, im just biased cause i dont like them. they dont make logical sense in my opinion...
Original post by GoingInsane
To you agree that the English language is being butchered by texting, abbreaviations and the widespread use of 'Americanisms'?

I find that younger people today, with a wider access to mobile phones and other technology are becoming more accustomed to using text language and spend more time online than reading.

Are you concerned by this? What are your views?

Seeing as two hundred years ago you wouldnt understand a third of the words used i wouldnt worry too much about it.

500 years ago and you possibly wouldnt understand a word of it

Languages change - roll with it
I don't have sleepless nights over it.

Although, text language is so common that I do notice and appreciate the rare occasion where someone goes to the effort to make sure their text is well written.

A lot of people use text language out of convenience and there is nothing wrong with that, however, It would be worrying if you didn't know the difference between "there, their and they're" or "to and too" etc...

Although, if children are using "shud" or "cud" in exams that would be worrying.
Reply 11

This is probably relevant
Not as long as there are people like me, who still use archaic words and are fascinated with the past. Just a few hours ago, I used the word 'equine' and 'notwithstanding'. People think such things posh; but they are part of the English language and we are in England/Britain after all.
Reply 13
No, not really. On the contrary, I think that the fact the English language can be adapted and changed in such a way shows just how diverse and interesting our language really is.
Reply 14
I'd personally argue that Destruction of a language happens when it fails to progress.

The beauty of the English language is that it is ever evolving; i'm all for archaic linguistics but any lack of development does what it says on the tin. Colloquialism and Idiolect are such fascinating things that their dismissal is ignorant, somewhat elitist and stops progression of thought. (language is of-course our biggest former of a concept of 'reality')

Many people when they speak to me make fun of the way i talk,'bruv' 'sick' 'bro' but most of it is ironic and I'll run rings around them if i so wished- 'proper' English (whatever that may be) has a time and a place.
I think it is evolving.
Original post by Kolya
Language evolves and changes over time. Whoda thunk it.
What I don't get is why people think this is a bad thing. Being overly rigid would be the end of the English language, not adapting to modern means of communication.
I hate pompous grammarians like you.

Read David Crystal's books on the Internet - Internet linguistics, Internet language, and the advancements of the English Language - and shut the hell up.
Reply 18
Read the original Canterbury Tales, then weep at what a feeble imitation of English's true form you really speak.

Then accept that in 500 years time the exact same thing will have happened.

Quick Reply

Latest