The Student Room Group

equations and bearings :S

hey so i came across this in my homewrok and i only got so far.
my house is north of st.damians church which is due west of joe's bar. the distance along a straight road, which leads from the church to the bar is 1/2km more than the straight road leading from the church to my house.
i) draw a diagram showing the positions of each building, joined by a straight road and represent the distance in km from my house to st.damians church by x.
ii) i have to travel a total distance of 6km in order to go from my house to st.damians church then to joes bar and then straight to my house. write down a linear expression in terms of x, to represent the shortest distance from my house to joe's bar.
iii) form an equation in x and solve it, so as to determine the distance from st.damian's church to joe's bar.

i manages the first part..and i have attached a picture of my drawn diagram.. any help is tremendously appreciated.
Reply 1
The distance from the church to Joes is actually (1/2) + x not (1/2)x.

ii) The shortest distance from my house to Joes is 6 - (distance from house to church) - (distance from church to Joes)

iii) Use pythagorus to get an equation relating the lengths of all three sides of the triangle.

Quick Reply

Latest