The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Postgraduate Application 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Those of you who are not applying for on-campus accommodation, how (or more importantly, when?) are you planning on sorting out your accommodation? I've got a conditional offer and don't really want to sign up for anything accommodation-wise before I know for sure that I get in, but I won't be in the UK over the summer so I don't really know what to do. The thought if leaving it until August is a bit off-putting!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 81
Original post by carmem
Hello!
Did you receive any answer from Edinburgh University?I applied on 22 of February but still got no answer...

I've applies on the 22nd too ... I don't understand why are they taking this long, it seems like forever! they haven't even processed all my papers, and my scholarship offer depends on their acceptance..I'm so stressed. which program have you applied to? :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Original post by LaMelp
I've applies on the 22nd too ... I don't understand why are they taking this long, it seems like forever! they haven't even processed all my papers, and my scholarship offer depends on their acceptance..I'm so stressed. which program have you applied to? :s-smilie:

Hi

If it says on their online system that they haven't processed your papers, that might not be the case. They requested more information for my application when I applied. I subsequently received an offer months ago but that change still sits in the under review section.

If you're worried (like I was), ring the office and ask (like I did) and they'll probably tell you everything is fine
Reply 83
Original post by ctopher
Hi

If it says on their online system that they haven't processed your papers, that might not be the case. They requested more information for my application when I applied. I subsequently received an offer months ago but that change still sits in the under review section.

If you're worried (like I was), ring the office and ask (like I did) and they'll probably tell you everything is fine

oh, really!:confused: It shows that half of my papers have been checked, but the rest not yet...I think you're right, I should probably ring them and tell them about my situation. I feel like i've been waiting for so long and Edinburgh is like my first choice..It's been driving my nuts.
Reply 84
Original post by LaMelp
oh, really!:confused: It shows that half of my papers have been checked, but the rest not yet...I think you're right, I should probably ring them and tell them about my situation. I feel like i've been waiting for so long and Edinburgh is like my first choice..It's been driving my nuts.

From what I can tell, they have a number of review dates each year. I got my application in in January and heard back within 3 weeks. My referees were only given a week to complete, so I’m assuming that’s because a review date was coming. You’re probably just waiting so long because of timing i.e., the next review date. Again, when you call ask them. They’re really helpful and gave me an estimate of when I would know.

P.s. GOOD LUCK!
Reply 85
Original post by ctopher
From what I can tell, they have a number of review dates each year. I got my application in in January and heard back within 3 weeks. My referees were only given a week to complete, so I’m assuming that’s because a review date was coming. You’re probably just waiting so long because of timing i.e., the next review date. Again, when you call ask them. They’re really helpful and gave me an estimate of when I would know.

P.s. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks. I'll try calling them then :smile: hope all goes well!
Reply 86
Original post by eggshell
Ah that's cool. Where did you apply for? I've just (well, yesterday) sent off an application for Ascham Court, Roxburgh Place and Richmond Place. Really wanting the Ascham Court, it looks fantastic. I'd have preferred catered, but they don't offer catered for 12 months which is what I need. I've also heard some pretty dodgy things about the food in JMMC but I guess we'll have to see.

I applied to West Mains Road, Blackwood Crescent and Causeway side, since these seem to be closest to the King's Buildings, where most of my classes will be. I've been living in a self-catered accommodation here for the past 4 years so I think I should be fine having to take care of my food myself! (although it would be nice to not have to cook for a whole year!)
Reply 87
I have an offer to read for the LLM in International Law next year, conditional on a 2.1 in my undergrad. I was wondering about accommodation as well - I don't get my degree classification until mid-July, and really don't want to tempt fate by applying for accommodation before then, but if I leave it, will I be too late to try and get uni accommodation?

And does anyone know the best places to start looking for shared private rents?
Reply 88
Original post by scorpri3
I applied to West Mains Road, Blackwood Crescent and Causeway side, since these seem to be closest to the King's Buildings, where most of my classes will be. I've been living in a self-catered accommodation here for the past 4 years so I think I should be fine having to take care of my food myself! (although it would be nice to not have to cook for a whole year!)

Ah yes, I've been self-catered for 3 years now. The only reason I wanted catered is because of the excessive amount of time I plan on spending in the lab, but oh well. Never-mind I guess!
Reply 89
Hi guys!
I applied for an LLM at the University of Edinburgh on April 30. I really hope to receive an offer because it is my first choice. Did anyone else apply in the same period for an LLM at Edinburgh?
Anybody going to Uni of Edinburgh for a postgrad? I'm an international student, hoping to start in September for an MPH--Master of Public Health.
Original post by Mystic123
I have an offer to read for the LLM in International Law next year, conditional on a 2.1 in my undergrad. I was wondering about accommodation as well - I don't get my degree classification until mid-July, and really don't want to tempt fate by applying for accommodation before then, but if I leave it, will I be too late to try and get uni accommodation?

And does anyone know the best places to start looking for shared private rents?

Try easyroommate (although you'll have to pay to actually be able to contact people), or gumtree.
Does anyone know of a Facebook group or something for new postgrads at Edinburgh uni? Would be nice to get in touch with other prospective postgrads and there are sooo few of us on this thread :frown:
Original post by linda helena
Does anyone know of a Facebook group or something for new postgrads at Edinburgh uni? Would be nice to get in touch with other prospective postgrads and there are sooo few of us on this thread :frown:

I am currently a postgrad, and I have couple of facebook links for 2011-2012 which are still running. So I hope they will might be useful till the end of August atleast.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/226175720726472/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/202168669841514/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Nirvana86
Hi guys!
I applied for an LLM at the University of Edinburgh on April 30. I really hope to receive an offer because it is my first choice. Did anyone else apply in the same period for an LLM at Edinburgh?

Hello everyone,

I have an offer to study the European Law LLM at Edinburgh, conditional upon getting a 2:1 in my current degree. Have you found out yet?

Did anyone apply for an funding? And has anyone heard back yet?
Reply 95
Original post by JLouisa
Hello everyone,

I have an offer to study the European Law LLM at Edinburgh, conditional upon getting a 2:1 in my current degree. Have you found out yet?

Did anyone apply for an funding? And has anyone heard back yet?

When did you apply for the European Law LLM?

I didn't receive any offer yet. I sent an e-mail to know the average time they need to consider an application, but they didn't reply.
Reply 96
Original post by Nirvana86
When did you apply for the European Law LLM?

I didn't receive any offer yet. I sent an e-mail to know the average time they need to consider an application, but they didn't reply.

I applied just before Christmas and heard back at the beginning of January, so just a few weeks but I assume the University would have been closed for a week or so over Christmas.

Have both your referees sent their references? I had to remind one of mine so perhaps that is the delay?
Reply 97
Original post by JLouisa
I applied just before Christmas and heard back at the beginning of January, so just a few weeks but I assume the University would have been closed for a week or so over Christmas.

Have both your referees sent their references? I had to remind one of mine so perhaps that is the delay?

Yes, both my referees have already sent their references.
Just another question for you. Has your "myEd" been update after you applied for the LLM? I mean, in my case there is no action required by me but none of Clearance Check details have been completed yet.
Reply 98
While I was writing here, the Postgraduate Office replied as follows: "I’m still screening applications received in April and it may be some weeks before I get to yours".

Well, it will be a looong wait!
Reply 99
Hi guys,

I will return to Edinburgh in September 2012 to start the MRes in Medical Anthropology and I'm currently looking to get accommodation sorted - does anyone have a spare room to offer, or is anyone looking to get flatmates together?

Anyone interested, let me know!

Ta,
Heather

Quick Reply