The Student Room Group

Half of my tooth fell out!

Half of my already cracked tooth just fell out, what do i do? I live in the UAE and so its late do i need to go to a dentist or something or can i wait?
Reply 1
Is it just the crown (the bit of the tooth you can normally see) that has cracked/come off? How long was it cracked for?

If it's just been chipped it can wait until tomorrow, if it's a significant portion of the tooth (which then it would be bleeding quite a lot) then you may need to go to a hospital to get it put back in, but I doubt yours is that bad? (If a tooth comes out whole it needs to be put back in as soon as possible, which means a trip to the hospital or a dentist is better, but this is a dental emergency).
Reply 2
Original post by Saf94
Half of my already cracked tooth just fell out, what do i do? I live in the UAE and so its late do i need to go to a dentist or something or can i wait?

I once broke my jaw and 6 back teeth in an accident. The hospital stitched me up and sent me home, couldn't do anything more until the next day when the swelling went down. Therefore I conclude you'll survive until tomorrow unless you're in any particularly excruciating pain.

:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by moya
Is it just the crown (the bit of the tooth you can normally see) that has cracked/come off? How long was it cracked for?

If it's just been chipped it can wait until tomorrow, if it's a significant portion of the tooth (which then it would be bleeding quite a lot) then you may need to go to a hospital to get it put back in, but I doubt yours is that bad? (If a tooth comes out whole it needs to be put back in as soon as possible, which means a trip to the hospital or a dentist is better, but this is a dental emergency).

No its not the bit you can see its the back bit, it was cracked through the middle for a few weeks and the back bit finally came out. Its not bleeding or anything but its like half of the whole tooth. My gum is exposed was wondering if it was problem, im gonna go to the dentist tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
I once broke my jaw and 6 back teeth in an accident. The hospital stitched me up and sent me home, couldn't do anything more until the next day when the swelling went down. Therefore I conclude you'll survive until tomorrow unless you're in any particularly excruciating pain.

:wink:

Hahaha yeah, i dont really know much about dental care was worried that i should do something unless it got worse. Thanks for your help hope you were ok sounds like it was really bad.
Reply 5
Original post by Saf94
Hahaha yeah, i dont really know much about dental care was worried that i should do something unless it got worse. Thanks for your help hope you were ok sounds like it was really bad.

Sounds worse than it was to be honest. Lived on rice for several months and now I'm as good as new :biggrin:

FYI - You'll probably either need a filling (quick and easy), or if the root of the tooth is damaged you'll need a root canal followed by a crown. Both are effective and relatively painless (albeit you'll be wanting some mild painkillers within a couple of hours of the latter option). However, I'm basing this on the break being entirely on the surface (i.e. the tooth is intact under the gum). If that is not the case then you'll most likely need to have it pulled. That'll involve having a bridge put in, which is basically the same as a crown but rather then being anchored to the tooth root, it is anchored to the neighbouring tooth.

Under NHS fees will be around (rough estimates off memory);

Filling - £30 (Although if you want a white filling expect to pay private, £70 at my dentist)
Root + Crown - £200 (this comes in white ceramic)
Bridge - £200 (same as crown)

I believe crowns / bridges cost considerably more to have done privately, so I'd make sure you're at a NHS dentist!
Reply 6
Original post by Saf94
No its not the bit you can see its the back bit, it was cracked through the middle for a few weeks and the back bit finally came out. Its not bleeding or anything but its like half of the whole tooth. My gum is exposed was wondering if it was problem, im gonna go to the dentist tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

well, the thing is, the whole tooth is actually 3 times longer than you think it is

The bit you can see is the bit above the surface, if it's just that which is damaged then it's fine, if the root (the 2 bits coming out of the crown) came out, it's likely that the tooth will die = root canal and crown

but I doubt you damaged the root, and if you did, it would be been damaged when you cracked the tooth so it's too late to save it anyway, so it can wait until tomorrow
I think it’s a very normal thing for anyone but if you have a lot of pain or any other problem then you can go to a dentist to figure out the problems.

Quick Reply

Latest