The Student Room Group

Was caught peeing in the street

Hi guys not sure if this is the right forum to post in but i would just like some advice.

Last night was out in the pub with mates and i was busting to go to the toilet so i ran across the road were there is a little corner kind of hiding me and were nobody could see anything. once i turned around a police officer was waiting for me and my friend and cautioned us for indecent exposure and read us our rights and said it will go infront of a public prosecution.

I have no record of any crimes and this is my first offence and im a little worried as this may effect me later in life what should i do now?

obviously i shouldnt have peed in the street but i thought it was alright as i was kind of hidden and no one could see anything there.

my friend says the public toilets were broken he knew this before hand so we went down and took pictures one was permanently engaged the other said out of order i got pictures of both.

thanks for reading any advice would be great.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just pay the fine? surely if they cautioned you it won't go up in front of a public prosecution?
Reply 2
well he says i am being given a caution and told me my rights then i asked what happens next he said it will go infront of a public prosecution or something.
Reply 3
Sounds odd that they'd prosecute you for something so petty as that.
I was playing football last week and at half time one of the guys goes in the corner near the fence and starts peeing. I thought it was disgusting. Dogs do that. There was a toilet not 3 minutes away. Let's just say I never shook his hand after the game.

The percentage of people not washing their hands after going to the toilet is another topic altogether. It's shockingly high and disgusting. Ugh.
(edited 11 years ago)
You were out of order - the pub had toilets. Nothing to do for it other than plead guilty and pay the fine you have coming to you.
Reply 6
i went in the pub before i left and they were all closed as this was around 2:15 am
Reply 7
Who hasen't???
Reply 8
You could try arguing it, but its a bit risky
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
if i have to pay a fine thats okay as i realise i shouldnt of done it but what im really worried about is later in life when applying for jobs or applying for visas for traveling will i be refused these because of this offence?

they make it sound so wrong indecent exposure. it was a quick pee in the corner
If there are no public toilets around and you are desperate to go then fair enough. Maybe next time you should choose a more secluded spot to do it though like a park.
Reply 11
You don't get prosecuted or fined, they just say this to scare you

Oh and I have a friend that is a teacher that got caught doing it a few weeks back for like the 6th time in the past year and nothing had ever come of it
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mrx123
Who hasen't???

If you're absolutely desperate and have no choice, such as a long motorway journey and the next Service Station is half an hour away, then sure I understand that. But in normal circumstances, including a night out, it's pretty simple for an adult to anticipate when their bladder will be full. Peeing in public places is uncivilised.
Reply 13
so i guess i have to wait for a fine to come through the door or a court date or something now.

i hope this doesnt effect me in the future
Reply 14
Urinating on public property is disgusting, I mean how hard is it just to find a toilet? But mistakes happen... just be genuine and truthful. My biggest issue is spitting. At least urine is sterile. Spitting is imo a billion times worse and people seriously couldn't give a damn...
Serves you right for acting like a small child/ animal really doesn't.
Reply 16
Well, I don't see the public interest in forcing yourself to piss your pants.
Reply 17
When they did me for this I got a letter telling me to go to the station for a caution... It's not affected my ability to get jobs or anything.
The charge in my case was 'unacceptable behaviour'... Indecent exposure sounds (in my non expert opinion) a lot more serious and the sort of thing that'd pop up on a crb. I'd guess the cop was just saying that to scare you... Unless you were actually running around waving your todger at people.
Original post by silent ninja
I was playing football last week and at half time one of the guys goes in the corner near the fence and starts peeing. I thought it was disgusting. Dogs do that. There was a toilet not 3 minutes away. Let's just say I never shook his hand after the game.

The percentage of people not washing their hands after going to the toilet is another topic altogether. It's shockingly high and disgusting. Ugh.

It's just a bit of skin man.
Reply 19
Original post by Jaidenh
You don't get prosecuted or fined, they just say this to scare you

That depends on where you live. Local government has the power to make it an offence under a by-law (section 235 of the Local government act 1972). There's also Section 5 of the Public order act 1986, not to mention a booking for Drunk & Disorderly if you'd had more than a few...

I don't think Indecent Exposure would hold, since the OP was in an alleyway and - hopefully - trying to be discreet.

Quick Reply