Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ice Constricter
calm down.

I really should..
Original post by tamimi
I really should..

Have you googled the £5 coins? They look weird don't they? :smile:
Yes the £5 coin, the only unit of currency that is completely useless - no machines accept it and shopkeepers look at you as if you've just handed them a dead baby.
Reply 23
Have you googled the £5 coins? They look weird don't they? :smile:

I disapprove of their existence. I always knew they had limited edition ones like the Diana thing but I didn't realise they were actually in circulation.

You live you learn.
Original post by tamimi
I disapprove of their existence. I always knew they had limited edition ones like the Diana thing but I didn't realise they were actually in circulation.

You live you learn.

They're rare and most people don't know they exist. Just try handing in a £5 coin to a shopkeeper on April fools. See what happens.
Reply 25
They're rare and most people don't know they exist. Just try handing in a £5 coin to a shopkeeper on April fools. See what happens.

He tells me in May
Reply 26
Easier to deal with smaller sums of money? I doubt people would want notes worth 1p that'd be **** loads of paper.
Reply 27
there are alot of 'mints' with but most are worthless.

no coins wont replace notes.
Pros

- Coins are more tougher (notes can tear)
- Coins have other uses (used for scratch cards, determines who goes 1st with head or tails)
- Waterproof
- Good for paying for low cost items
- Last much longer than notes since metal is far more resisant than paper.

Cons

- Can be heavy when carried in large amounts.
- Each individual coin cost more to make despite being worth less (lol the irony) although notes are more expensive to produce in the long run.
- You need a lot of coins if you want to pay any decent amount of money.
- They're bulkier
- More likely to spread germs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amime
Easier to deal with smaller sums of money? I doubt people would want notes worth 1p that'd be **** loads of paper.

I was in Mongolia last year. They use the Tugrik(Togrog) as their currency. When I was there, there were just over 2000 of them to the Pound. They do not use coins whatsoever, so thats 20T for a penny equivalent. Yes, they do have this banknote. There were beggars on the street who had cardboard boxes and people would throw 10T and 20T notes into them.

I came back with a lot of souvenir notes, including 1 Tugrik banknote.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wish they would put five pound coins into mass circulation. I'm fed up of getting tatty fivers in my change!
Reply 31
The website they give is www.westminsterorders.com

Its free p&p :colonhash:

Notes fit in a wallet/purse easier and are lighter.
Reply 32
Original post by Clare~Bear
Apparantly my household is 'among those specially selected to recieve this notification of britains new legal tender 2012 £5 coin.' !!! :colonhash: Am I right in thinking that they actually got sent to every house?

At least you do only have to pay £5 and no P&P . . .

Are they going to replace £5 notes ie will any more £5 notes be made? And will the coins continue to be made?

Scam. Even if not, you're less likely to get it accepted in a shop than a fiver or normal coins.

I think the usual thing here is to buy it as an ornament if you like it, or in the hope that someone else will buy it off you for more in the future.
I've just had a look online and it all seems totally legitimate.

Original post by Hopple
Scam. Even if not, you're less likely to get it accepted in a shop than a fiver or normal coins.

I think the usual thing here is to buy it as an ornament if you like it, or in the hope that someone else will buy it off you for more in the future.

Still more likely than trying to get rid of 50 pound note though. They're only fit for flling up millionires swimming pools.
I hope not. They'll be slipping out of my back pocket and everything.
Reply 36
I bought like 5 of these olympic coins :biggrin: for £5 each!, so didn't really lose anything. Plan on selling them in the future for £7 each?
OP your one does sound like a scam though.
Reply 37
Original post by Powersymphonia
Still more likely than trying to get rid of 50 pound note though. They're only fit for flling up millionires swimming pools.

I suggest swapping a fifty for five tens or even 2 twenties plus a ten or fifty £1 coins over ten £5 coins...
Reply 38
Original post by Play-A-Record!
I've just had a look online and it all seems totally legitimate.

You just read my mind:tongue: Gotta love Fonejacker
Reply 39
Original post by 0range
I bought like 5 of these olympic coins :biggrin: for £5 each!, so didn't really lose anything. Plan on selling them in the future for £7 each?
OP your one does sound like a scam though.

Sounds like you're setting up your own scam there :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending