The Student Room Group

FP3 - 2 Limits Questions - Stuck

Ready To Answer Now - Latex Problem Sorted
If I didn't rep you that's because I couldn't

Q1:

limxx+exxex\displaystyle\lim_{x\to \infty} \dfrac{x+e^x}{x-e^x}

I have tried multiplying top and bottom by x+ex x + e^x and that didn;t get me anywhere, I then tried expanding the ex's and after some working eventually got stuck at

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \dfrac{1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2}+...}{-1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\cdots}[br]\[br]= (-1)(1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \cdots)(1+ (\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \dfrac{x^3}{6}+\cdots))^{-1}

I have been on it for a while so a solution would be better than a hint, unless there is something small that I am missing or a mistake somewhere.

Q2:

\displaystyle F(x) = \dfrac{e^x}{1-x}[br]\[br]\text{Show that} F(x) \to -\infty \ \text {as} \ x \to \infty

For this one I expanded ex and brought the (1-x) to the top and expanded it, multiplied it out and I am stuck at

(1+2x+5x22)(1+2x+\frac{5x^2}{2} \cdots)

Same as above, all help is appreciated.

Thnx
(edited 11 years ago)
On Q1 you could try multiplying top and bottom by e^-x.
Reply 2
Original post by ian.slater

Yea, that works lol. The answer is -1, why didn't I see something so simple !!
Original post by member910132

Q1:

I have tried multiplying top and bottom by x+ex x + e^x and that didn;t get me anywhere, I then tried expanding the ex's and after some working eventually got stuck at

\displaystyle \dfrac{1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2}+...}{-1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\cdots}[br]\[br]= (-1)(1+2x+\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \cdots)(1+ (\dfrac{x^2}{2} + \dfrac{x^3}{6}+\cdots))^{-1}

I have been on it for a while so a solution would be better than a hint, unless there is something small that I am missing or a mistake somewhere.

Q2:

\displaystyle F(x) = \dfrac{e^x}{1-x}[br]\[br]\text{Show that} F(x) \to -\infty \ \text {as} \ x \to \infty

For this one I expanded ex and brought the (1-x) to the top and expanded it, multiplied it out and I am stuck at

Thnx

second one:
large +ve x makes e^x +ve and 1-x -ve so F is -ve. Now consider the relative order of exponentials and linear expressions in x.
Reply 4
Original post by ian.slater

Just tried that for Q2 and I get:

1exxex\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{e^{-x}-xe^{-x}}Using the general result that xe^(-x) tends to 0 as x tends to infinity my only problem is showing how F(x) goes to negative infinity and not just infinity.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5

Q1:

Q2:

Thnx

You could use L'Hopital' s Theorem...they both come out very easily then.....
Reply 6
Original post by ben-smith
second one:
large +ve x makes e^x +ve and 1-x -ve so F is -ve. Now consider the relative order of exponentials and linear expressions in x.

Sorry, I don't follow the second part.
Reply 7
Original post by mikelbird

That isn't on the AQA FP3 syllabus and I don't want to learn stuff that ain't on the syllabus.
Sorry, I don't follow the second part.

from an intuitive point of view, e^x is like a polynomial of very high degree and so it's going to tend to infinity faster than a linear function.
Just tried that for Q2 and I get:

1exxex\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{e^{-x}-xe^{-x}}Using the general result that xe^(-x) tends to 0 as x tends to infinity my only problem is showing how F(x) goes to negative infinity and not just infinity.

x e^-x > e^-x
Reply 10
For Q2 I am almost there, I just need to show that 1exxex \dfrac{1}{e^{-x} - xe^{-x}} will tendo to \displaystyle -\infty. ex0,xex0 \displaystyle e^{-x}\to 0, xe^{-x} \to 0 as x \displaystyle x\to \infty but I need to show that they tend to 0 \displaystyle 0 from the negative as only then will the function \displaystyle \to -\infty.
Reply 11
Original post by mikelbird

Not allowed.
Reply 12
So is it sufficient for me to say that 1exxex \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{e^{-x} - xe^{-x}} \to -\infty as x x\to \infty because both terms in the denominator tend to zero and xex>ex xe^{-x} > e^x ?

Edit: So can it be said that as x, exxex0 x\to \infty, \ e^{-x} - xe^{-x}\to 0- and hence 1exxex \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{e^{-x} - xe^{-x}} \to -\infty?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Bump - will anyone verify my above post so I can finish this thread ?
Bump - will anyone verify my above post so I can finish this thread ?

I'd be happy with it.

Quick Reply

Latest