The Student Room Group

A - Level Advise

Hey,
I'm currently in Year 11 and moving onto college, however i'm in two minds in what i want to do in college (as in alevels).

I have different options.

option A:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
History

Option B:
History
English Literature
Sociology
Law

Option C:
History
Sociology or English Literature
Biology
Chemistry.

I enjoy English and History, would definitely chose History no matter what. However i have recently come to terms with me not being a mtahs person just good in terms of revising hard for it. So heres my dilemma do i do what i enjoy and probably find hard (option B) or do i do what i am good at if i revise really hard (option A) or a mixture of both (option c).

On top of that option A opens me to better career prospects. :dontknow:

I would be very appreciative if someone could advise me and maybe give me an insight to the Alevels.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If you're not a maths person then you will find maths seriously hard next year. People I know that have got A*s in GCSE have got Es in their first module for maths so unless you enjoy I recommend you do not take it.

I think that option C is the best one for you because you enjoy both english and history and the two science subjects will still keep your options open :smile:

good luck!
I've got an A for maths at GCSE and ive tried a-level maths and its mind numbing :L
but not having maths, will that lower my chances in getting into the better science courses like: dentistry/medicine ?
Medicine doesn't actually require maths only biology and chemistry. Option C sounds the best :smile: maths IS very difficult and especially for med/dentistry, you'll need As, so go along with the subjects you find easier instead :smile:
basically you NEED maths to do dentristry/medicine but theres no point applying if you're getting Ds and Es. I got an A in gcse maths and found that the jump is quite big from gcse to A-level but found that if you do loads of practice then its alright.
So English Literature or Sociology?
Reply 6
Original post by shorttstuff
basically you NEED maths to do dentristry/medicine but theres no point applying if you're getting Ds and Es. I got an A in gcse maths and found that the jump is quite big from gcse to A-level but found that if you do loads of practice then its alright.

Load of crap, you do not need Maths Alevel for Dentistry. I'm shocked at the amount of poo I read on this forum where people try and advise others.
Reply 7
basically you NEED maths to do dentristry/medicine

This isn't true, almost any exam based Alevel is accepted as the third alevel. Although there are a few exceptions that they don't want.

Just pick what you like and cross reference with the courses the Unis don't want. Sorted! :h:

PS I do agree that maths is actually VERY HARD lol I got an A* at GCSE. The step up from AS....then A2 is pretty shocking
my friend was in a similar position to you and she chose to take three science subjects (maths, chemistry and biology) because after assessment she thought it would be worth it. i agree with the comments here if you enjoy and feel you'll perform better taking english and history then option C is great. however if you feel you can work towards maths, will enjoy it and will be motivated to work for it then i would say ideally option A is a great choice. there's a lot you can do with it career wise as you mentioned, it's nice as the lesson structure will be different you'll have your essay more discussion subject, your sciences and maths being a more numerical, logical, problem solving subject. my friend chose option A if you're interested, the exact same combination of subjects. i wouldn't take maths if you don't feel like you'll want to work for it, if you've got the dedication to work for it i'm sure despite how tough it may be, it'll get better, that's for any of your subjects. it won't just be you, even people great at particular subjects will struggle. if you feel maths really will be a headache, then i'll say option C is your next best choice.
The more i think, the more i side with Option C.
Maths is not my strong point.

If i do take option c do i take English Literature or Sociology?

Sociology seems like an interesting A -level whereas Literature is much more respected and Harder.
Original post by Tayib
The more i think, the more i side with Option C.
Maths is not my strong point.

If i do take option c do i take English Literature or Sociology?

Sociology seems like an interesting A -level whereas Literature is much more respected and Harder.

again, it depends on personal preference. you need to have a vague understanding of what you want to do in the future and what value either english lit or sociology is going to have. if they're just extra subjects which look interesting and that's why you're studying them i would say the best way to decide is to speak to people studying both courses and see the ups and downs of each subject, look through the course curriculum because sometimes just because you like a subject at gcse the course at a level is completely different and it might not seem so appealing, maybe look at past papers and see which one you could visualise yourself sitting more realistically. i guess literature has its bonus because it's a core subject it's quite valued, whereas sociology is a "soft" subject. don't let that put you off though because i know many people who study sociology and love it. go through the different things i've suggested and see if that helps. :smile:
Go for C :smile: My friend has got offers for medicine and does Chemistry, Biology and English lit for A2, and also did French and Art for AS. You don't need maths.
Reply 12
It really depends what you think you'll want to do later in life, and if you consider yourself more of a sciences or arts person. If I were you I'd go for English if you think you can do it over Sociology or Law as it's more respected and it opens up lots of doors university/career wise. Having a couple of arts subjects with science ones is absolutely fine, it keeps it nice and varied. So probably option C.
Thank you so much to everyone for the great advise :biggrin: it has really helped me decide.

I'm just going to see the pros and cons for English Lit and Sociology and see which one i'd most like to do. :biggrin:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
C is a beautiful combination, very close to the most beautiful combination (Maths, Biology, English Literature, and History).
Original post by Id and Ego seek
C is a beautiful combination, very close to the most beautiful combination (Maths, Biology, English Literature, and History).

HAHAA . well maths im not too sure upon ;D
Reply 16
depends what you want to go on to do.... the Science route or the Humanities route? though it sounds like you aren't a great fan of maths so i think you should go with C
Reply 17
Original post by Tayib
Thank you so much to everyone for the great advise :biggrin: it has really helped me decide.

I'm just going to see the pros and cons for English Lit and Sociology and see which one i'd most like to do. :biggrin:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

English Lit is more respected by universities than Sociology :smile: but if you think you would enjoy sociology more then go for that
Reply 18
If you're not a maths person then you will find maths seriously hard next year. People I know that have got A*s in GCSE have got Es in their first module for maths so unless you enjoy I recommend you do not take it.

I think that option C is the best one for you because you enjoy both english and history and the two science subjects will still keep your options open :smile:

good luck!

While this may be the case, if you have some liking for Maths, then don't not do it because you aren't a Maths genius.

I got continuous Us and Es at C1 (the first module of AS) when I first started and am now averaging 90%+ in past papers. I've never been much of a maths person either, but trust me, if you like it, all it takes is practise. :yy:

Please don't give out the wrong advice. unis clearly say maths is not a requirement for med/dentistry.

Quick Reply

Latest