The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 17th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Jan 2012 question paper and mark scheme anybody? Pretty please? :biggrin:
xo
Reply 81
Hi, does anyone know the eqaution for momentum relating to Newtons 2nd law?
Can someone please explain this phenomena :smile:

Why is a passenger on a moving bus pushed forward when it stops and vice versa?

Sorry, if it sounds vague. I got this question from the edexcel As physics textbook.
Reply 83
Original post by CT1402

you mean resultant force=mass x acceleration ?
Original post by CT1402

F = m(v - u) / t, where m = mass of the body, v = final velocity and u = initial velocity

The definition for Newton's second law is resultant force is directly proportional to rate of change of momentum
Reply 85
Original post by quintillion
Can someone please explain this phenomena :smile:

Why is a passenger on a moving bus pushed forward when it stops and vice versa?

Sorry, if it sounds vague. I got this question from the edexcel As physics textbook.

its your body's inertia i guess, this relates to newton's first law of motion

if you want a detailed answer: according to newton's first law an object will remain at motion unless it was acted upon by an unbalanced force(e.g. seatbelt) so in this case the passanger's inertia(tendancy in objects to resist change in motion) will cause him to keep moving forward eventhough the bus stopped moving
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jerichi
Jan 2012 question paper and mark scheme anybody? Pretty please? :biggrin:
xo

here is the mark scheme i will upload the question paper next
Original post by 99llewellyn99
here is the mark scheme i will upload the question paper next

srry the file size is too big could u take the link from someone else coz i dont have it sorry:frown:
Original post by youlostme
its your body's inertia i guess, this relates to newton's first law of motion

O, now I got it. Inertia is the unwillingness of a body to stay at rest or move with uniform motion.

So, when the bus is moving (assuming at a constant speed) the person also moves with a constant speed. When the bus stops, the person's inertia will prevent it from attaining rest. Thus, the person will be pushed forward since he is still moving with the bus's velocity. He will attain rest when the forces acting on him algebraically add up to zero i.e. newtons first law of motion

Please correct my explanation... I know it's wrong

Last question, please can anyone give me tips on improving QWC.
Reply 89
Original post by Abeed
Hello there,
If you mean GCSE - I believe there is no correlation between AS and GCSE physics.
For me, it was totally different.
I had done OCR physics at GCSE, and now I do Edexcel.
Sure I have little background knowledge, but in terms of getting the grades - AS level physics is more applied, whereas at GCSE it was all about memorising.

Go through some books in the library, and if it seems like something you'd enjoy, go for it!
But it isn't easy by any means.

Hope that helps,
Abeed

hey thank you so much man, you properly cleared my mind
i was planning on learning any basics i need before i start but i was worried that i wouldn't be able to cover it all
thanks again:smile:
Reply 90
O, now I got it. Inertia is the unwillingness of a body to stay at rest or move with uniform motion.

So, when the bus is moving (assuming at a constant speed) the person also moves with a constant speed. When the bus stops, the person's inertia will prevent it from attaining rest. Thus, the person will be pushed forward since he is still moving with the bus's velocity. He will attain rest when the forces acting on him algebraically add up to zero i.e. newtons first law of motion

Please correct my explanation... I know it's wrong

almost there
the way you explain it "the person's inertia will prevent it from attaining rest" makes it sound like inertia is a force, when in fact it isn't, so it is incorrect to say the person is "pushed" forward because nothing pushes him...inertia is only the term used to describe the object's tendancy to resist changes in motion i.e. it's not a force...
you should rephrase it and refrain from using terms like "push" or "prevent" and your answer will be correct
that's why newton's first law of motion is also called the law of inertia
Reply 91

Just write your answers so that each sentence corresponds to a bullet point on the mark scheme (i.e. each sentence is another mark).

As long as each sentence follows the previous one in a logical and chronologically correct manner, then they can't take away any marks.

If you look at mark schemes you can see how they have 3/4 words per mark and each marking point is sequential - most people imagine the mark scheme in their head and "serenade" it.

Only thing is, if you try to imagine the mark scheme then you're trying to image what's inside the Edexcel examination officer's mind, and oh boy; what a f*cked up place that is...
Reply 92
Does anyone have the 2012 January unit1 paper, I can find a pdf for the markscheme just not the paper
Reply 93
I have it, but you guys won't be able to access it via a link (it's on my college area; account details required).

Can you upload PDFs to TSR?
Original post by Top Hats
I have it, but you guys won't be able to access it via a link (it's on my college area; account details required).

Can you upload PDFs to TSR?

yes u can i jus did it has to be within a certain file size tho
Reply 95
Urmmm... How do you upload it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by samkanwoods
Did anybody do their AQA Maths Core 1 and 2 test today? I f so how did they find it?

Me - and euuugghhhhh what was Core 2?
Reply 97
jan 2012: 6PH01_01_que_20120307.pdf
jan 2012 ms: 6PH01_01_msc_20120208.pdf

YAAAAY it finally worked, here you go :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
Can anyone tell me how to do Q17D from jan 2012?

Show that the average speed of the car does not exceed the average speed limit of 22m/s^-1
Reply 99
Original post by Opsimath
Can anyone tell me how to do Q17D from jan 2012?

Show that the average speed of the car does not exceed the average speed limit of 22m/s^-1

Get the area under the graph..there could be 2 triangles, 1 square n 3 rectangles
this would be equal to the distance..Use the average speed formula..n show it..
e.g
the area undr graph is apprx 1059m
using avg.speed= 1059/50 = 21.28
therefore the speed is in limit

Quick Reply

Latest