The Student Room Group

OCR PSYCHOLOGY G542 core studies May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jenx301
Cant even begin to explain my hate for this core studies exam... I will be doing it for the third time, seriously. Fml.

OMG same D:, I retook Yr. 12 even though I passed in everything! What do you reckon is gonna come up? :/

x
Reply 21
Original post by StraightU's
OMG same D:, I retook Yr. 12 even though I passed in everything! What do you reckon is gonna come up? :/

x

Literally no idea at all... no matter what I do I cant seem to remember all the details about it. Last time I thought I did well n still came out with a D fml :frown:
Original post by Jenx301
Literally no idea at all... no matter what I do I cant seem to remember all the details about it. Last time I thought I did well n still came out with a D fml :frown:

Yeah I think I got a C in that last time but the E in ****ing Psych Investigations dragged me down the ****er! What other subjects do you do?
x
Reply 23
Absoloutely crapping this exam :frown: Just wish Piliavin comes on Section B or Milgram or Loftus and Palmer or Bandura comes up and for section C the social approach or developmental approach
Reply 24
Original post by StraightU's
Yeah I think I got a C in that last time but the E in ****ing Psych Investigations dragged me down the ****er! What other subjects do you do?
x

Yeah my january exam from A2 let me down a lot as well :frown: I do business + law as well how about you? I am just thinking positive! my teacher always drills into my head just believe in yourself and you will do better! x
Reply 25
Original post by SidneyHopcroft
Section B? Guaranteed Piliavin, Rodin & Piliavin. It's the only study that hasn't come up in Section B since something like January 2009?

On that logic, I'd make a safe guess that the theme for the three studies will be field experiments, so that means Griffiths and Reicher & Haslam are likely to come up too. Best not to play with fire though - learn all the studies just to be sure.

As for Section C... well, the Behaviourist Perspective is a bona-fide contender. It hasn't appeared since January 2010 and is the only approach/perspective that hasn't come up twice since the new syllabus. You can bank on OCR picking another approach from recent papers just to throw candidates off the scent, so I'm putting extra effort into Developmental and Social psychology. But again - revise them all, as OCR could be expecting students to be expecting Behaviourism and may just be super ********s and not even ask about that.

Wait, how is Reicher and Haslam a field experiment? It's not their natural setting, i thought it was lab?
Reply 26
Original post by Mojojojo
Wait, how is Reicher and Haslam a field experiment? It's not their natural setting, i thought it was lab?

basically its field as the setting was much like a prison cell! it is true to a real life situation i.e. the guards and prisoners and the prison cells. The only things that were really controlled was when they could become guards and the participants themselves. otherwise the study IS a field experiment. however you can argue the point of it being more lab than field in your evalusation of the study IF it comes up that is :smile:
Original post by Mojojojo

As far as i know its a lab because all the variables were in a controlled setting. it doesnt have to be a full on lab like in dement and kleitman to be considered a lab. its easier to say lab when evaluating. For example, it had a high level of control of the variable/ high ethics. Downsides where it wasn't ecologically valid ( field experiments (like piliavins was on a train) are usually ecologically valid but R&H wasn't because they were filming a show and the prisoners weren't really in jail for anything so it makes that less valid)
Original post by pilotantsta
The 4 iv's were The race of victim, whether the victim was can or drunk, whether there was a model present and group size

The male participants were recruited through advertisements in the newspaper making them a self selecting sample. in total 332 responded and was reduced to 15 by a screening process involving clinical medical and background checks. This ensured diversity of ethnicity and occupations also ensured that no one with psychological disorders was involved.

Next question Outline two ways in which Dement and kleitmans study can be said to be low in ecological validity (4 marks)

Dement and Kleitmans study can be considered as having low ecological validity because they restricted participants from having coffee and alcohol. This lowers ecological validity because it is likely that these substances are a frequent part of the participants' diets so their body functionality has been altered.

Another way the study could be considered to have low ecological validity is the way in which sleep was conducted. Participants had electrodes attached to their scalps and eyes. This may well have affected their internal brain functionality or even their actual dreams, and cannot be classed as valid as this is a highly unusual experience for them.

Next question: Outline two ways data was collected in the study by Bandura, Ross and Ross (4)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 29
Original post by krispykreme2012
As far as i know its a lab because all the variables were in a controlled setting. it doesnt have to be a full on lab like in dement and kleitman to be considered a lab. its easier to say lab when evaluating. For example, it had a high level of control of the variable/ high ethics. Downsides where it wasn't ecologically valid ( field experiments (like piliavins was on a train) are usually ecologically valid but R&H wasn't because they were filming a show and the prisoners weren't really in jail for anything so it makes that less valid)

This is what i thought, and was taught :smile:
Reply 30
Does anyone know whats possibly going to come up in section B/C?
Reply 31
My teacher is adamant that Maguire will come up on Section B because it's the only study that hasn't been on Section B before.
Unless she's wrong, I'm saying there's a safe bet that will come up.
Reply 32
Anyyyy good predictions on what will come up on section b and c??....hate psychologyyyy too much tooo remember :frown:
Reply 33
Has anyone got the January 2012 paper? Would really appreciate it.
Reply 34
have any of you tried www.holah.co.uk - thought it might be useful. it's specific for the OCR syllabus and covers pretty mcuh everything with a shortened version of each study. it's my saviour!
Reply 35
And also, we have been told:

Piliavin, Sperry, Kanzi

Behaviourist, Individual differences, Social
Original post by Cyclohexane
Next question: Outline two ways data was collected in the study by Bandura, Ross and Ross (4)

I guess if I was having a stab at this...

One way date was collected was from the children's teacher, who rated the children on their past level of aggression. This was done on a 5 point scale and considered aggression in ways such as how aggressive they were when playing.

Another way data was collected was through the observation of the researchers. When the children were put in the room with the toys, the researchers would observe their level of aggression through a glass screen, unknown to the child.

4/4? :tongue:
Oh and by the way, we have been told largely a similar guess to you guys:

- Individual Differences/Social

- Behaviourist approach

I'm taking the small gamble of not revising perspectives AT ALL because I think the approach question is way easier, and you're guaranteed at least one. Hopefully will give more time to cram core studies :smile:

Good luck with revision guys!
Reply 38
Does anyone have any model answers from section A B and C??

thanks yu :smile:
http://www.holah.co.uk/page/home/
A really helpful website for this paper if you haven't already discovered it :smile:

oops, sorry just saw someone else has put a link already.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest