The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
For Maths revision, you can go on:

http://www.mymaths.co.uk/
Login: small
Password: square
Click: A level > one of the modules at the top of the page > 'AQA' at the bottom of the page > choose a topic
and revise however much you like.
The online homework and worksheets questions (you don't need a personal login for these) reset when you close the window so effectively you can get more practice that way.
Hope this helps!
Thanks, I'll have to check this out later!
Reply 62
I am praying that this exam isn't as difficult as the Jan 2012 paper. Even the kids going to Oxbridge in my class found it near impossible.
Original post by Mortson
I am praying that this exam isn't as difficult as the Jan 2012 paper. Even the kids going to Oxbridge in my class found it near impossible.

I'm pretty surprised at that. The only bit I found even slightly difficult was the last vectors question (and that's because I'm generally not very good at those questions :tongue:)

Are there any questions in particular that you'd say were unusually difficult?
Reply 64
Try not to let the size of your head prevent you from getting through the doorframe.
Reply 65
Original post by hassi94
No I'm AQA. People keep mentioning these 9 mark questions in January but I didn't notice them in C3 or 4 this Jan to be honest. Maybe I'm used to longer questions from further maths (where a 14 mark question is nothing out of the ordinary). I don't know any girl who got that but my sixth form's pretty small. One girl got 100 in C1 last year but that's it girls-wise.

Oh yeah, I found out that there was a girl at my sixth form last year who got 100 ums in both C3 and C4. Mindblown - I had no idea...
Original post by Mortson
Try not to let the size of your head prevent you from getting through the doorframe.

Wow you're a pretty rude person. I think it was reasonable for me to say that January didn't seem any harder than any other paper, and then to ask if you could tell me which bits you thought were harder. I'll still wish you good luck for Core 4 but I don't have a chip on my shoulder :smile:
Original post by Cath-ay
Oh yeah, I found out that there was a girl at my sixth form last year who got 100 ums in both C3 and C4. Mindblown - I had no idea...

Ahaha well sometimes the quietest ones might surprise you :tongue: She beat me on Core 3 :frown: :tongue:
Reply 68
Original post by hassi94
Wow you're a pretty rude person. I think it was reasonable for me to say that January didn't seem any harder than any other paper, and then to ask if you could tell me which bits you thought were harder. I'll still wish you good luck for Core 4 but I don't have a chip on my shoulder :smile:

I understand that, but others might not. From the way you said it you did sound a little pompous (just my opinion).
Original post by hassi94
I'm pretty surprised at that. The only bit I found even slightly difficult was the last vectors question (and that's because I'm generally not very good at those questions :tongue:)

Are there any questions in particular that you'd say were unusually difficult?

I particularly hate the "show that the surface area of the prism is..." or a volume of a cone. I know it's only 3 marks but it always bugs me that AQA sometimes puts that in the core units.
Reply 70
Original post by Cath-ay

I got 100 in C1 but then ended up getting a D in C3. I think I may have gotten a little big headed...
Original post by Mortson
I understand that, but others might not. From the way you said it you did sound a little pompous (just my opinion).

Well, perhaps if you weren't looking to insult you might not jump to conclusions. Well it may be your opinion but that isn't some 'free pass' - its still insulting. I am still genuinely intrigued by what the difference was between January's paper and the other past papers.
Reply 72
Original post by pcorbett94
I got 100 in C1 but then ended up getting a D in C3. I think I may have gotten a little big headed...

No big deal if you learn from your mistakes. You're retaking anyway :tongue:
Original post by hassi94
Well, perhaps if you weren't looking to insult you might not jump to conclusions. Well it may be your opinion but that isn't some 'free pass' - its still insulting. I am still genuinely intrigued by what the difference was between January's paper and the other past papers.

Don't be stupid man.

I did every single AQA past paper before going into the C4 Jan 12 exam, and I truly found it daunting. The style of the questions was a little different and there were many questions which compressed so many techniques. I need to get an A* to get into uni but I missed the 90 percent by 5 so got 85 in it. Seriously, I know my C4, and I can tell you that wasn't a standard paper...

I just hope C4 will be a lot more merciful this summer!
Original post by ANTI-GADDAFI
Don't be stupid man.

I did every single AQA past paper before going into the C4 Jan 12 exam, and I truly found it daunting. The style of the questions was a little different and there were many questions which compressed so many techniques. I need to get an A* to get into uni but I missed the 90 percent by 5 so got 85 in it. Seriously, I know my C4, and I can tell you that wasn't a standard paper...

I just hope C4 will be a lot more merciful this summer!

Thing is, people keep saying this but giving no real specifics as to what was different, and I can't see it myself so how am I meant to know? But yeah hopefully this next one will be more to your liking :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Thing is, people keep saying this but giving no real specifics as to what was different, and I can't see it myself so how am I meant to know? But yeah hopefully this next one will be more to your liking :smile:

Unless you got 100 ums or something, I could understand why you'd think it's a normal test!
Original post by ANTI-GADDAFI
Unless you got 100 ums or something, I could understand why you'd think it's a normal test!

Well I did, but that's beside the point. I should still notice if it's harder or not. A lot of people complained that Core 3 questions this jan were longer and deeper rather than many short ones. Was core 4 the same (I can't remember to be honest)?
Reply 77
Original post by hassi94
Well I did, but that's beside the point. I should still notice if it's harder or not. A lot of people complained that Core 3 questions this jan were longer and deeper rather than many short ones. Was core 4 the same (I can't remember to be honest)?

I think the general consensus with the Core 3 was that anyone who does further maths has usually encountered questions where they're much more open ended and require an insight or two along the way, rather than being stepped through the process to the answers. I'm sitting my the January 2012 C4 paper tomorrow as a mock, but I'm fairly sure I'll be in the same boat as you and not really find an issue with it. However, I'd mainly put that down to personal interest in maths, and so it would be difficult for me to give an accurate judgement on the paper as a whole in comparison to others.
Reply 78
Original post by hassi94

Im just wondering, hassi, if you got 100 ums in the Jan 12 paper, why are you following the June 12 revision thread? And just to add to the consensus, I did the Jan 12 paper a week or so ago, and did find it harder than other papers. The differential equation was a bit different to usual without going into specifics as I cant really remember, and the fact that there was a 9 marker, which although could have been worse, was still quite off putting.
Reply 79
Hey guys just wondering is this type of question

Rsin(x+a)

Still part of the syllabus cos it hasnt come up recently?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending