The Student Room Group

Are They Any Mature Students Here? Students Over 28?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaniD
I'm 29 and hoping to start my Access to HE Course in September. After that I am hoping to go on to study something in the direction of Conservation/ Wildlife Management/ Biodiversity etc.

Have a look at the environmental science courses too.

My wife's direction is exactly the same as yours, and she applied for specific courses in that area, but eventually went environmental science as she felt the coverage of all aspects was more complete. She did make sure that there were plently of ecology, biodivserty, conservation modules etc on the environmental science courses she applied to.

Good luck.
Reply 41
Original post by evening sunrise
Have a look at the environmental science courses too.

My wife's direction is exactly the same as yours, and she applied for specific courses in that area, but eventually went environmental science as she felt the coverage of all aspects was more complete. She did make sure that there were plently of ecology, biodivserty, conservation modules etc on the environmental science courses she applied to.

Good luck.

thank you for the advice :smile:

I had my interview today and the college offered me a place to start the Access Course in September so I am really excited at the moment!
My main subjects are Biology, Science and Geography :smile:

Can't wait to get started in sept.
Reply 42
Hi all.
Im 45 and looking at University Sept 2013 Occupational Therapy Manchester. Already thinking about personal statement , as its been years since Ive done anythink like this. Once Ive got started I will be Ok, but will have it checked, just unsure whether you go straight into why you want to do the course OR with your name etc and background. Im also applying independant as Im in work at the moment , but now looking for career change, as Ive been doing the same job for 15 years plus.
Any idea's appreciated.
Reply 43
Original post by Ladyblade
Hi all.
Im 45 and looking at University Sept 2013 Occupational Therapy Manchester. Already thinking about personal statement , as its been years since Ive done anythink like this. Once Ive got started I will be Ok, but will have it checked, just unsure whether you go straight into why you want to do the course OR with your name etc and background. Im also applying independant as Im in work at the moment , but now looking for career change, as Ive been doing the same job for 15 years plus.
Any idea's appreciated.

There are some examples of personal statements on this website somewhere but do be aware that our personal statements end up looking very different to A'level students.

The rest of your application will contain things like your name, have a look at the ucas application form to see what info will be on it, you won't need to list your qualifications in your personal statement because they will be on the application too, as you are restricted by word count there is no point repeating anything.

I started with a paragraph on why I wanted to study pharmacy, the main body was about what I had been doing up until that point and the last paragraph basically summed up why I would be a good candidate for their course. The Ucas site also has some tips on how to write a personal statement. I started with a list of questions that I wanted to answer.
Reply 44
Original post by Ladyblade
Hi all.
Any idea's appreciated.

Hi Ladyblade. I sympathise with you when it comes to the personal statement. At first I stressed myself out thinking of how my own children had struggled with their own statements for days and weeks, but then I took a step back and tackled it methodically.

The most important thing to do (which I'm sure you've already done) is to look at the guidance information on the Ucas website (at http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/personalstatement/whattoinclude), where it tells you what to include in the statement.

It stresses that there are two key elements universities need to know - why you are applying for this particular course and why you are suitable for it. This is where I focused most of my attention, but I did not ignore the other elements, such as my hobbies and interests.

I then just went for it! I drafted it out and then edited it several times both to get down to the word limit and to make it flow. Being a journalist, I also made sure I gave it a strong introductory paragraph and a strong finish.

If it would help you to see what I produced, please let me know. I'd be only too happy to let you have a copy.
Original post by princess pokey
If so, what are you studying?

I did a degree a few years ago now princess pokey when i was 29 in Psychology and later changed to Sociology,which i ended up with.I am 41 now and still doing a Access course in Health at the moment so i consider myself a very mature student :biggrin:
I'm 30 and will be starting my History degree at Glasgow.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 47
I'm 44 and just finishing a combined studies Access Course - going on to UWE to do English Lit and History :smile: Ju
Hi,

I'm 39 and will be starting a research masters degree in London this autumn :smile:

I finished by u/g degree last year, but actually started my studies in 2007 with a foundation year at the same uni.

I come from a finance/business background and this is part of my career change into science and biomedical research.
looks like i beat you all lol

I'm 45 and studying Computer forsenics ..... so it must make me the grandad woohoo:lolz:
Original post by yogibear1966
looks like i beat you all lol

I'm 45 and studying Computer forsenics ..... so it must make me the grandad woohoo:lolz:

Afraid not, we are both 49 as per my earlier post.
Reply 51
I am 60 and studying for an MA in linguistics.
Original post by teresaq
I am 60 and studying for an MA in linguistics.

Thats a RED card, the age only counts for undergrads :biggrin:

All the best with the MA. A very interesting subject you have chosen.
Reply 53
Thanks. I blog about it at http://studentat60.blogspot.co.uk/. Someone my age has a different perspective on it all because of different life experience and a different set of other things going on in my life.
Reply 54
38- Biomedical Science
I am a mature student ( or thats what I'm classed as) 29 , Game art design.
I think I am the oldest female on my course,
Reply 56
Im 29 studying combined Psychology and Education at MMU. There's a variety of ages on both of my courses but I seem to get along with everyone fine. I used to wonder if I was too old to be returning to Education.....just finished my 1st year and I'm loving everything!
Reply 57
Yes, 29 and just finishing IT Tech.
Reply 58
Original post by princess pokey
If so, what are you studying?

Not 28 yet (26 actually) but just finished a Bachelor's with the OU, hoping to do a Master's in the US this October and fingers crossed Graduate-Entry Medicine in 2013.
30 and I will be doing Philosophy at Hull :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending