The Student Room Group

Journalism Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Anyone here thinking of Kent? I'm in my first year here and now if anyone has any questions :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by ChubbyWatermelon
you too congrats!!! ^_^

have you met your offer? :smile: i missed mine :/ but im going to newcastle now instead, decided not to even bother asking sheffield to still consider me haha. how are you?
Original post by gonchanya
have you met your offer? :smile: i missed mine :/ but im going to newcastle now instead, decided not to even bother asking sheffield to still consider me haha. how are you?

hey! yup, i got a 38, but i still didn't get my firm... i dunno.... how much did you get? I am thinking about taking a gap year.
Reply 163
Original post by ChubbyWatermelon
hey! yup, i got a 38, but i still didn't get my firm... i dunno.... how much did you get? I am thinking about taking a gap year.

oh wow thats amazing! i got badddd way worse than you did. dont really want to say it even as compared to you i now seem so stupid :P im not taking a gap year, im off to newcastle :smile: wasnt your firm sheffield??
Reply 164
Hey guys, I've applied to UWE for Journalism and Public Relations and I just stumbled upon this thread.. Someone's comment here really got me thinking - how important is for a course to be accredited by the NJCT? I have the required grades for whatever uni I'd wish to get into ( I've heard Sheffield's really good) , but this is the only uni that combined the 2 things I wanted to study. How black and white is this?
Ps: I'm starting in September and already firmed so I'm just asking hypothetically

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by madison24
Hey guys, I've applied to UWE for Journalism and Public Relations and I just stumbled upon this thread.. Someone's comment here really got me thinking - how important is for a course to be accredited by the NJCT? I have the required grades for whatever uni I'd wish to get into ( I've heard Sheffield's really good) , but this is the only uni that combined the 2 things I wanted to study. How black and white is this?
Ps: I'm starting in September and already firmed so I'm just asking hypothetically

Pretty. I'm 22 and I've done bits for my local newspaper, I'd been toying with wanting to do it full-time for ages (and it's been a passion of mine since high school) so I asked them. She said I'd need to get a degree on an NJCT accredited course.

For the record I've been given an unconditional at Salford and UCLAN and I went for Salford. Can't wait. :smile:
Hey everyone :smile:

Doing a journalism degree was a late thought for me this year, and I've contacted both the University of Surrey and Portsmouth university to see if they would accept me in clearing.

Portsmouth is NTCJ accredited, but is much further away from me (I have my own place in Guildford, and my OH works there).

No word back from Surrey yet Portsmouth have offered to give me the Journalism entry test - does anyone have any advice? I have no idea what to expect.

I don't know anyone who is going and I'm feeling pretty lonely!
Reply 167
Original post by PontefractWhite
Pretty. I'm 22 and I've done bits for my local newspaper, I'd been toying with wanting to do it full-time for ages (and it's been a passion of mine since high school) so I asked them. She said I'd need to get a degree on an NJCT accredited course.

For the record I've been given an unconditional at Salford and UCLAN and I went for Salford. Can't wait. :smile:

Oh, okay.. Thanks :smile:

Reply 168
Where are you applying?
I transferred from Law and French to Journalism in Cardiff University

What subjects/grades did you get?
I did a french baccalaureate if that helps?

What work experience are you doing?
I haven't, and it's been a pain in the arse.

What sort of course content are you looking for (TV, Radio, Print etc)?
Print mostly and/or photographic based things.

Whats your DREAM job!?
Honestly, I'm aiming to be an officer in the army, but I recently read that they have professional army photographers, who, well, are soldiers normally, but also are responsible for taking photos of stuff, people, operations for the MoD and such.

Failing that, photographer and writer for a news paper, or the BBC or something, perferably a combat photographer. I'd be perfectly fine with living as a pauper to be honest, as long as I enjoy myself and have a camera.
Reply 169
Original post by WordsAndPictures
Hey everyone :smile:

Doing a journalism degree was a late thought for me this year, and I've contacted both the University of Surrey and Portsmouth university to see if they would accept me in clearing.

Portsmouth is NTCJ accredited, but is much further away from me (I have my own place in Guildford, and my OH works there).

No word back from Surrey yet Portsmouth have offered to give me the Journalism entry test - does anyone have any advice? I have no idea what to expect.

I don't know anyone who is going and I'm feeling pretty lonely!

I've been offered a deferred entry place for Portsmouth Journalism and I had to do the entry test. They asked me to write a few short articles, they chose the subject for one and they asked me to write an album review etc. All about 400 words - so not too bad!

I got offers from Sheffield, Westminster, Sunderland and Portsmouth. I've confirmed Portsmouth and put Sheffield as my insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest