The Student Room Group

How to transfer universities?

hey i was thinking the same...on how to transfer universities. i'm not sure on how to go on about about it and since i never have the time to call, i thought of writing a simple letter. i don't know what am i meant to mention in the letter though. i thought of it keeping it simple and mention why am i planning to transfer, what course i'm currently studying and what course i'm planning to study there. ummm...perhaps even mention what modules i've covered this year?? i don't know...anyone have any ideas on how to write a transfer letter?

all help very much appreciated :yes:

and thank-you^^
Reply 1
It has to be done through UCAS. but first speak to where you want to go to see if they will consider your application, cos if not, its not worth filling in the form.
Reply 2
nerys3000 is right you need to call the university that you want to transfer to and find out if they even accept 2nd transfer's as alot of them don't. (I called up about 10 universties when sorting my transfer and only 2 said they did). TBH, if you've got time to write a letter you've got time to make a phone call which would take all of 2 minutes. Then you'll have to apply via UCAS and provide them with a transcript of your first year modules and grades achieved.

My transfer is all sorted and luckily went very smoothly, I just have to achieve an average of 50% this year. :smile:
Reply 3
FreakyA
hey i was thinking the same...on how to transfer universities. i'm not sure on how to go on about about it and since i never have the time to call, i thought of writing a simple letter. i don't know what am i meant to mention in the letter though. i thought of it keeping it simple and mention why am i planning to transfer, what course i'm currently studying and what course i'm planning to study there. ummm...perhaps even mention what modules i've covered this year?? i don't know...anyone have any ideas on how to write a transfer letter?

all help very much appreciated

and thank-you^^
I assume from your post that you want to transfer to a similar course, into year 2. In that case the advice you have been given above is correct.

If you can't find anywhere to accept you for a transfer into year 2, your remaining option is to reapply for year 1 entry through UCAS. You can still do that for September 09 (see stickied threads in this forum). Completing your year at London Met should mean you are eligible for a Certificate of Higher Education but even if it doesn't, dropping out at this stage of the year is pretty pointless. Unis looking at your application might be concerned about your staying power unless there was a good reason for not finishing the year now.

The Student Finance system does allow for one 'false start' so you would still qualify for another three years' of loans etc.
Minerva
I assume from your post that you want to transfer to a similar course, into year 2. In that case the advice you have been given above is correct.

If you can't find anywhere to accept you for a transfer into year 2, your remaining option is to reapply for year 1 entry through UCAS. You can still do that for September 09 (see stickied threads in this forum). Completing your year at London Met should mean you are eligible for a Certificate of Higher Education but even if it doesn't, dropping out at this stage of the year is pretty pointless. Unis looking at your application might be concerned about your staying power unless there was a good reason for not finishing the year now.

The Student Finance system does allow for one 'false start' so you would still qualify for another three years' of loans etc.

So if the new course you are going to study is 4 years, does that mean you have to pay for the 4th year entirely by yourself?
Reply 5
Toxic Tears
So if the new course you are going to study is 4 years, does that mean you have to pay for the 4th year entirely by yourself?
Not necessarily, but you need to check. It's not clear from the website what the rules are, so anyone in this situation needs to check it out for themselves.
i really want to transfer to!!! im not enjoying liverpool atall and want a flat in manchester. unfortunalty i have missed an assignment so might have to re-do in summer. does anyone know if its possible to still transfer i can get 50% probs more but i might need some of the summer to complete! ... ... :frown:
Original post by amirraabdulla
i really want to transfer to!!! im not enjoying liverpool atall and want a flat in manchester. unfortunalty i have missed an assignment so might have to re-do in summer. does anyone know if its possible to still transfer i can get 50% probs more but i might need some of the summer to complete! ... ... :frown:

Technically, yes. If you satisfy any requirements they set out by the time they want you to do so then you are fine.

Also, strong bump.
Reply 8
hey can i transfer to my third year? i applied to transfer into my second year at UEL for an LLB and i got accepted and everything but i failed ONE module, did a re-sit and was required to pass that to complete my transfer. I failed my resits basically and my university is offering me a 'carry over' chance to do that module as an extra whilst i still proceed with my second year at the university. I'm grateful and all but i still hate my uni and apparently have no choice but to do my second year there now. However i would like to still transfer into my third year at either UEL or any other london unis, i cant stand being where i currently am and dreading having to go through the second year there but my only hope is that i can transfer during for my third year.

Someone that actually knows about this stuff, please tell me if i can do this and if you know of anyone who has done this and with what university?

would really appreciate it.
Reply 9
Original post by tokyo
hey can i transfer to my third year? i applied to transfer into my second year at UEL for an LLB and i got accepted and everything but i failed ONE module, did a re-sit and was required to pass that to complete my transfer. I failed my resits basically and my university is offering me a 'carry over' chance to do that module as an extra whilst i still proceed with my second year at the university. I'm grateful and all but i still hate my uni and apparently have no choice but to do my second year there now. However i would like to still transfer into my third year at either UEL or any other london unis, i cant stand being where i currently am and dreading having to go through the second year there but my only hope is that i can transfer during for my third year.

Someone that actually knows about this stuff, please tell me if i can do this and if you know of anyone who has done this and with what university?

would really appreciate it.
Most university courses in England and Wales are divided into a 'part 1' - ie the first year, which qualifies you to do 'part 2' - ie the second and third year. Transferring at the end of part 1 is one thing, transferring in the middle of part 2 is another, because it's very difficult to match course content properly. This is especially true in subjects like law where if the course content doesn't meet certain requirements it won't count as a 'qualifying degree' - look it up if you don't know what I mean. You need to check whether what you are being offered now will count, because if you really hate the uni you're at then your only other option is to drop out and start again somewhere else, and this might be the deciding factor.
Reply 10

Original post by Rosie18
nerys3000 is right you need to call the university that you want to transfer to and find out if they even accept 2nd transfer's as alot of them don't. (I called up about 10 universties when sorting my transfer and only 2 said they did). TBH, if you've got time to write a letter you've got time to make a phone call which would take all of 2 minutes. Then you'll have to apply via UCAS and provide them with a transcript of your first year modules and grades achieved.

My transfer is all sorted and luckily went very smoothly, I just have to achieve an average of 50% this year. :smile:

Well done! :smile:
I'm in the same position, I hate it at Nottingham Trent and tbh I can't even remember why I chose it. I have no idea how to go about transferring after my first year here. I've contacted the university I want to go to, they've said it's possible to transfer if the modules are similar enough.. I'm just waiting for an email back now. I don't know what the do if I can't transfer, I hate it here. I know I'll end up dropping out and that's not particularly good as I'm going to want to reapply next year. What's my next step once I know whether I'm allowed on the 2nd year course? Do I have to apply through ucas? Do I apply now, or after I get my results from first year?
If the uni you want to go to say yes you can transfer there, then apply ASAP.
Reply 13
I am currently studying at Teesside University and i really dont like it. i am currently studying engineering and this year is an integrated foundation year and i was wondering if i would be able to transfer to Northumbria next year

Does anybody know if this is at all possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Original post by amos93
I am currently studying at Teesside University and i really dont like it. i am currently studying engineering and this year is an integrated foundation year and i was wondering if i would be able to transfer to Northumbria next year

Does anybody know if this is at all possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated

The people who would know are the admissions staff at northumbria - you need to call them up and ask. Have details of your modules and any results to hand in case they ask for that information over the phone.
Original post by Rosie18

did you have to pay the old uni you went to when you transferred? Im in situation where I have to pay the old Uni money because I transferred and because my tuition fee did not go to them.