The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2015 - Let the Games Begin

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Phantom_X
Been rejected from basically every firm i've applied to so far, YOLO

I don't think you're using 'YOLO' right.
Reply 21
I have an 'Assessment Centre' with BLP (after a phone interview) but the funny thing is... I'm not sure whether it is for a VS or TC! Their application system makes you apply 'for a VS in conjunction with a TC', and their website says 'All applicants applying for a VS are automatically considered for a TC'. Nobody has made it clear whether this is for a VS or a TC haha. Should make for interesting conversations at interview!
Original post by Med2Ky
I have an 'Assessment Centre' with BLP (after a phone interview) but the funny thing is... I'm not sure whether it is for a VS or TC! Their application system makes you apply 'for a VS in conjunction with a TC', and their website says 'All applicants applying for a VS are automatically considered for a TC'. Nobody has made it clear whether this is for a VS or a TC haha. Should make for interesting conversations at interview!

Best of luck!

And I wouldn't worry about it, they're looking for the same kind of people for both VS and TCs... Which is funny if you think about it, because they say VS (non-law students) are for you to explore the opportunities of a career in law and see whether you'd fit, but to get in them you need to show you're already committed to a career in law...:colone:

I'd say "I want a TC..." and if they say "Hang on, this is for VS..." you reply "VS is way for me to show you you need to offer me a TC because I rock..." :biggrin:
Original post by h-g-1
Ha, I had that question asked...well in the sense "Why this MC firm and not any other MC firms"? And then also specifically what other firms I'd applied to. After I named a few, I was asked what the difference between Firm A and Firm B was - i.e. two firms from my other applications. And then if I was offered a TC at Firm A or B, which one would I pick and why. I thought it was bizarre. I'm not sure what the point of that.

So be on the lookout for questions about other firms...

I guess it's to assess how strong your motivation actually is for applying to a particular type of firm - if you've applied to lots of similar firms, chances are you know you want to work for that sort of firm.

Still sounds scary though! What firm was this?
Reply 24
Original post by WombatPatrol
I guess it's to assess how strong your motivation actually is for applying to a particular type of firm - if you've applied to lots of similar firms, chances are you know you want to work for that sort of firm.

Still sounds scary though! What firm was this?

Linklaters :smile:
Original post by Med2Ky

And if you don't get the vac scheme, you're barred from applying for a TC with BLP in the same year - absolutely ridiculous to be honest. Many people come along leaps and bounds from when they submit a VS application to doing TC applications 8 months later.
Reply 26
Original post by Med2Ky
Applied for a BLP Winter VS- been offered a Phone Interview for either a). Spring/Summer VS, or b). Training Contract. I'm thinking of just going for the TC (and ditching the VS) - thoughts?

I appreciate that this was a week ago, so you've probably decided by now, but I'd be inclined to go for the straight TC. VSs are ridiculously competitive since people can accept more than one, so you get the same good candidates snapping them up. The TC process might be a little less competitive! :p:

EDIT: It appears you've had the interview and are through - congrats! You say you're not sure what it's for; did they not ask you to specify VS/TC beforehand?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Tortious
I appreciate that this was a week ago, so you've probably decided by now, but I'd be inclined to go for the straight TC. VSs are ridiculously competitive since people can accept more than one, so you get the same good candidates snapping them up. The TC process might be a little less competitive! :p:

EDIT: It appears you've had the interview and are through - congrats! You say you're not sure what it's for; did they not ask you to specify VS/TC beforehand?

Just to clear this up for those who are unaware. BLP have the exact same application procedure for their vac scheme as they do for the training contract - 1. phone interview, 2. assessment centre, 3. partner interview. The only difference is that to get on the vac scheme you just do steps one and two initially - the partner interview will come during/after the VS - and they will call to let you know if you are on the VS a week or so after the assessment centre. The content of the steps is the same for all applicants, which I know is different from a lot of other firms. Hope this dispels some confusion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by commerce
Just to clear this up for those who are unaware. BLP have the exact same application procedure for their vac scheme as they do for the training contract - 1. phone interview, 2. assessment centre, 3. partner interview. The only difference is that to get on the vac scheme you just do steps one and two initially - the partner interview will come during/after the VS - and they will call to let you know if you are on the VS a week or so after the assessment centre. The content of the steps is the same for all applicants, which I know is different from a lot of other firms. Hope this dispels some confusion.

I see. But since rejection from a VS results in you being barred from applying for a TC with BLP in the same year, I wondered whether you'd be better off letting loads of people apply for the VS and be rejected before you made a straight TC application afterwards. That way, a huge chunk of people would already be prevented from applying, and since (in my experience) people make fewer TC applications, you might not be competing against as many people as you would for a VS...if that makes sense.
Original post by Med2Ky

How long after your telephone interview did you receive an AC offer just out of interest?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Situational judgement test for Herbert smith. Does everyone get these?

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing this and the Watson glacier for Simmons and Simmons tomorrow.

Found this site after looking at where I can get information about what it is like to work at different firms that might look relatively similar on paper and found it really quite helpful, they are anonymous so they seem quite open and honest. Might also help give some insight when it comes to interviews... http://www.graddiary.com/interviews/
Original post by midnightL
Situational judgement test for Herbert smith. Does everyone get these?

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing this and the Watson glacier for Simmons and Simmons tomorrow.

I think so. You get a situational judgement test, then two psychometric tests and I think they only look at your form properly if you pass all of those, though I'm not entirely sure so don't rely on that.
Good luck! (I've done them already and they're not too bad so don't worry too much about it).
Does anyone know if A&O look at applications on a rolling basis, or if they wait until the deadline has passed?
Original post by legalwannabe
Does anyone know if A&O look at applications on a rolling basis, or if they wait until the deadline has passed?

The HR reps I spoke to on their London evening event thingy said they invite for interviews on a rolling basis. But I don't know if they hold all interviews in the same few weeks or if they are done on a rolling basis too...
Original post by LawOfEntropy
The HR reps I spoke to on their London evening event thingy said they invite for interviews on a rolling basis. But I don't know if they hold all interviews in the same few weeks or if they are done on a rolling basis too...

Ahh OK, thank you!
Original post by legalwannabe

Got rejected like a week after applying :frown:
I just did the Situational Judgement test for Herbert Smith, does anyone know how long it takes from them to send you the other logical and verbal reasoning tests? Has anyone been rejected at this stage?

Does this still mean they have not looked at my application?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just submitted my application to Linklaters!

EDIT: I don't want to make loads of posts with minute updates, but I have always found it helpful to see how quickly firms get back to you. Logical reasoning and verbal reasoning tests from Herbert smith.
(edited 11 years ago)
Called Linklaters. They said although its rolling you may not hear anything until the 6th of January when deadline closes.

has anyone heard back from freshfields TC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending