The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
spoon1
What about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8794473649&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It seems to be exactly what im looking for and the price seems reasonable too.

Looks good, but I have a feeling it will get much higher than £150 before the bidding is over.
anycon
Oh yeah thanks thumbs up to you for bringing insults into it.
Think about it this way: if you could have it but didn't need it but could afford it, wouldn't you still want it? Hmm.

Yeh I kno but the AMD equivalent comes in an even more stoopid-looken case. http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=74130

I wouldn't call it an insult. I'd call it a very observant observation.
What's the best you could get for sub-£500? What do people think of this one:

PC Nextday Zoostorm 2-3302 Value PC

As for usage, things like Internet, Bit torrent, would like to use Photoshop, play games occasionally (FPS mainly) and music downloading. And I need a flatscreen. I need to get a new PC soon cos everything's packing up on the one I've got at the moment, monitor's dying, HD running out of space, one of my mates gave me a game but can't play it with 1GB P3 and **** video card!
wacabac

PC Nextday Zoostorm 2-3302 Value PC

play games occasionally (FPS mainly) and music downloading.

With a 6200TC, that's not going to be pleasant.
Reply 244
build your own / get one made for you

What is this 'build your own' poo? Those who can afford to pay for top-of-the-range pre-made PCs usually aren't the kind of people who can be bothered or have the time to build them DIY-style. 'Build your own' is for noobs like Vlad the Imbecile here.
And I am going to get one made for me. Just by a company rather than an individual. Not everyone has computer-maestro friends. In fact, computer maestros tend to be friends with other maestros and no one else.
Reply 245
anycon
And I am going to get one made for me. Just by a company rather than an individual.

Dont complain to us if it breaks and the Indian callcentre people cant help you.:p:
anycon
What is this 'build your own' poo? Those who can afford to pay for top-of-the-range pre-made PCs usually aren't the kind of people who can be bothered or have the time to build them DIY-style. 'Build your own' is for noobs like Vlad the Imbecile here.
And I am going to get one made for me. Just by a company rather than an individual. Not everyone has computer-maestro friends. In fact, computer maestros tend to be friends with other maestros and no one else.

You clearly have more money than sense. I refuse to waste my time advising someone who's clearly intent on getting ripped off. I have no time for your snobbery. :mad:
Build your own is a very viable and also satisfying way of getting a computer - satisfying in the sense that you made it and have achieved something.
Reply 247
OK soz ppls went a bit OTT there.
I probably won't get a pricy one like that anyway. I was just having you on. I did pay £800 for my laptop and £1600 for my main Mesh desktop three years ago though, so I guess I have been ripped off by corporate computing :o:p:
Bastards.
Reply 248
hi, sombody is offering to sell me his pc because he is leaving (specs below). how much would you think its worth.(hes given me a rough price but i dont want to infuence your repies. it looks kike hes throwing quite a lot of stuff in there:

Shuttle XPC - SN45G V2 (white/blue)
Dimension: 20 x 20 x 28(depth) cm
Monitor: Digimate 15inches LCD monitor, black (UK warranty)
Printer: Cannon i320 colour inkjet printer
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

System:
CPU: Intel (R) Celeron 2.54GHz
2 x Kingmax 512MB (DDR II 667)

Mainboard
Shuttle FN45, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for SN45G
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
Award V6.0PG BIOS
4MBit flash memory with hardware monitoring and ACPI power management functions

Processor cooling system
Shuttle I.C.E. (Integrated Cooling Engine
Advanced Heatpipe technology
Smart fan control, 80mm cooling fan

Expansion slots:
1 x PCI
1 x AGP 8X

Drivers:
BenQ 16X DVD-R/ DVD rom
XPC original 5 in 1 card reader (CF, CF2, MS, SD, SM)

Hard disk:
Hard disk 160GB

Power supply unit
200 Watt mini PSU, supports 115/230V
connectors: 20-pin ATX, 4-pin ATX12V

LAN controller
Realtek 8201BL Fast Ethernet network controller
supports 10 / 100 MBit/s operation

Front-panel I/O
Microphone
Headphone (Line-out)
Line-in
2x USB 2.0
Firewire (6 pol.)

Back-panel I/O
Firewire (6 pin)
PS/2 for mouse and keyboard
LAN (RJ45)
2 x USB 2.0
6-ch Audio line-out
Pptical SPDIF in and out
Serial port (COM)
Optional parallel port

Built in September 2005 (7 months old)
Never been overclocked, or format.
In excellent condition!
Comes with loads of software backup: windows xp sp2, office, anti-virus, pdf professional and more!
Reply 249
An AMD shuttle does not take Intel CPUs, or DDR2 for that matter.
I wouldnt touch it either, its an AMD system with an Intel CPU and with memory which matches neither. It makes no sense.
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a laptop for about £600 at the very most and I want to use it for word processing, playing videos and the internet (surfing and downloading).

I just wanted to ask about the kind of specs I should be expecting to get for £600?
Reply 252
Hello there,

I'm looking to buy a laptop for around £500. I need one for playing football manager, surfing the internet (I have a wireless broadband connection in my house) downloading and listening to music and of course.......... Coursework!!!!!

I've found these two, what do you think?:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1920400434.1146061620@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccffaddhimikllkcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=1&sm=1&tm=undefined&sku=867214&category_oid=-27751

and

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0313368493.1146064354@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccecaddhimgdhgicflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&sku=067702&page=Product

Cheers, Iron Swan (aka Dave)
Reply 253
IronSwan, that HP (Advent is a brand of HP) for £500 looks good.

Aj, you will be interested in this: IBM C100 laptop @ Dabs. It has 4.5 hours battery life, 512MB RAM, an 80GB hard disk and a card reader, as well as the usual features (wireless, 10\100 ethernet, 56k modem). IBM laptops are known for their build quality.
Reply 254
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a budget Desktop PC for basic use (typing, internet). I've found the following from Dell but I've no idea about computers so I was wondering if someone could give their opinion?

Thanks,

Dell Dimension 1100 - £356

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 345 (3.06GHz, 533fsb, 256K cache)

Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2

512MB Dual Channel DDR400 (2x256MB)

80GB (7,200rpm) Hard Drive

16x DVD-ROM Drive

Dell E156FP 15" Flat Panel Monitor - Midnight Grey

Dell A215 speakers

Genuine Windows® XP Home SP2 with backup media CD

Resource CD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers

Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics

Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio

Dell Colour Printer 725
Well its a pretty poor PC by modern standards, but it fits the purpose. Remeber though, it will have near zero upgradability.
Reply 256
PieMaster
Well its a pretty poor PC by modern standards, but it fits the purpose. Remeber though, it will have near zero upgradability.

Not to mention the poor build quality, rubbish graphics and TFT, and lack of a usb cable for the printer (or have they changed that policy hmm)...
PieMaster

Thanks
Reply 258
Thanks,

The Dell I posted is no longer on offer so I've put together the following:

Dimension 3100 - £350

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 351 (3.20GHz, 533FSB, 256k cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x256)
80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
48X/32X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive + DVD 5.1 Power Software + Sonic DigitalMedia v.7
Dell 15" UltraSharp™ Digital/Analogue High Quality Flat Panel
Dell A215 speakers
Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio

The speakers are £11.75 and the printer cable is £12.93 (included in above price) but would it be worth buying these items seperately? Creative SBS 260 - PC multimedia speakers can be bought for the same price. Or for cheap basic speakers Creative SBS 240 - PC multimedia speakers are available for just £5.29 (would these be better than the Dell speakers above?).

I'm also considering buying a DVD rewriter seperately, the included drive is the base level option so I'm guessing it isn't great? I've found an LG GSA H10A Super-Multi - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - IDE for £26.79. Is this a good price and would it be easy to add to the above PC?

Also, would an external hard drive work effectively with the above PC? I'm not sure I'd need any extra space but it's a possibility.

Would appreciate any advice,

Thanks.
Firstly, its a Dell. I'm not bore you with the details, but look elsewhere. Its a terrible spec PC which will have no route to upgrade in the future.

The DVD drive Q... Yes, they're easy to install if you know what you're doing. But then, if you know what you're doing, you're probably better of building your own.

Latest

Trending

Trending