The Student Room Group

Infected Wound (graze on the knee) HELP!

Hey guys,

Hong Kong U18s Grand Final for rugby is in exactly 7 days from now, and I have a wound which may seem small but really really hurts (i'm starting in the match)

Its a graze on the knee approximately 1.5 cm in length and 1cm in width. It looks relatively normal now... but after every shower (morning and evening) it becomes YELLOW and GOOEY and puss-ey.

I actually have a training session in 2 days and I want to make that session. My dad says to put dettol cream on it after every shower... should I do that? It's been like this for about a week now.

Much help will be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to a doctor, get their opinion on whether it's infected and they'll give you some antibiotics. Other than that, just keep the wound clean, dry, and aired (Don't cover it as it will will stop it form healing properly) Might be an idea to put some gauze over it, but definitely see a doc.

By the way, does it feel hot when you touch it, around the wound as well as the wound itself? that's a pretty sure sign of infection.
Reply 2
I think thats normal with that sort of injury
I had grazes left, right and centre during my gymnastics years and they all did that to a certain degree.

If you're concerned then go to a doctor
:smile:
Reply 3
Does it hinder your movement or is it just painful? If your being honest is it a bad injury or just a pain in the arse? If its not too bad then put antiseptic cream on it and gauze it. But when you get round to playing just leave it open and then clean it after the match. i had a similar injury where both of my knees were cut and infected and the movement was hindered by the healing.

P.s. good luck in the game :smile:
Reply 4
When I walk, I have to bend my leg, which stretches the skin of the knee. Unfortunately this also stretches the wound on the knee cap, which has ripped as a result of that. So it isn't exactly painless and yes it does sort of hinder my movement.
I wouldn't participate in this rugby match if I were you, unless I want to risk losing my leg. It's stupid showering twice a day. You shouldn't allow water to touch your wound!
Reply 6
devilsthorn
I wouldn't participate in this rugby match if I were you, unless I want to risk losing my leg. It's stupid showering twice a day. You shouldn't allow water to touch your wound!

Losing his leg??? He hasnt got gangrene just a graze thats become a bit infected!

I would certainly try and let it heal with antiseptic and gauze but before the match (a couple of hours before and right before) put some cream on to make the wound moist which will allow it to bend more easily. its not going to cause you a great deal of harm (but it will be uncomfortable) but at least you get to play in the final. You can let it heal after you've finished
Reply 7
Carry on with the whole showering thing it will do it good to clean it.
Put some antibacterial cream on and then place a dressing over the top, use some tape around it to strap the dressing and than use a thin bandage material to wrap round the knee.
This should keep the dressing on when your playing a match even with mud etc.

I've had many of these grazes-after stupidly playing rugby on sandy grass, even one on my head. It will eventually sort itself out just patience!!
Reply 8
Cooro
keep the wound clean, dry, and aired (Don't cover it as it will will stop it form healing properly)

Agreed. I've found that mine go gungy if I put something over them. (apart from when they're bleeding)

Make sure that when you shower, you cover it, as it will get wet and go weird.

When you play rugby, make sure you cover it, else you could get mud in it.
Reply 9
cherlios
they sell some stuff. think its orange, but you mix it with boiling water and swab it on, hurts like hell but sorted me out many times:smile: then just dress it before the game!

TCP.

I agree, put some of that on every day, will keep the wound clean and will heal quicker.
Reply 10
getting mud in it isnt the end of the world, as long as you clean it after and the rest it you'll be fine. if fact on several occasions ive had a couple of blood injuries whilst playing rugby and just packed them with mud to stop the bleeding. (obviously just scratches, if i was properly leaking then i go to hospital). its all about keeping it in perspective
Reply 11
tezw

On the day of the match or training, cover it with a plaster or something similar and use a tubogrip over it to keep in place.

If you do this make sure ot take them off afterwards. If they're covered it won't have a chance to heal.
I had one bad graze on the hip once, just on the waistline, really nasty as my trousers' waistlines kept rubbing it.
A friend suggested me to put some tea tree oil mixed with water on it. I did that and protected the wound with a plaster afterwards, worked a treat - but kept it uncovered at night to let it breathe.
simply as salvon, keep it clean and gauze on for the night, let it breathe afterwards and git your teeth though the pain, or mild pain killers savlon never fails to work i use all the time with cuts and grazes and i have plently of them, keep fallin off cycling and horse riding which dont help.
Ooh. I got one of these at the TSR Football Meet on Saturday. I'm in good company, it seems.

Anyway, I've let mine air and so on. Gave it a bath too. It's a little happier, but still foamy and technicoloured.

I can't really bend my leg, so I wouldn't play rugby if you're in the same condition.
Reply 15
I have to play its the grand final... hahaha, after that the season is over.
Reply 16
Helikaon
getting mud in it isnt the end of the world, as long as you clean it after and the rest it you'll be fine. if fact on several occasions ive had a couple of blood injuries whilst playing rugby and just packed them with mud to stop the bleeding. (obviously just scratches, if i was properly leaking then i go to hospital). its all about keeping it in perspective

Won't packing the scars with mud cause an infection?
Reply 17
I'm not worried about it getting worse, I want it cured! hahaha
It might affect my performance in the final... want to be 100% ready for it.
Why don't you just let the puss dry out and try to avoid re-opening the wound until it falls off by itself? The puss is supposed to be dead germs which your white blood cells have effectively killed, leaving it on your wound and letting it dry is okay. If you keep washing it off it will just keep your wound raw and germs will attack it and it will become gooey again. I had one of these when i was about 4....and it got infected, the scar remained to this day = =.

I'm not sure if you can find this kinda medicine in the UK but it's one of those liquidy ones like Betadine(iodine based) or some red liquid(forgot the name)which is more effective but REALLY painful when you pour them on, but it effectively kills everything and dry the wound.

Don't put alot of antiseptic cream on it, one of my friends got a graze and she was so cared it was gonna scar that she went through all the trouble of finding antiseptic creams from around the world (chinese, western) and put it on the wound to heal it. She over did it and now it's an ugly scar the size of the wound.

The best way is to just let it dry, maybe try a hair dryer.
hair dryer will burn it :s

just leave it to dry out, go see your doctor, he might give you antibiotics if it's infected.
if now, just put antiseptic (i recomend TCP) on it once, maybe twice a day. and just leave it be. :smile:

good luck with the final. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending