The Student Room Group

Typical Student Day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bearfaced
Uni is still a lot easier than working 9-5, 5 days a week.

I actually found working full time easier than uni. Everything here takes so much more effort.
Engineering:

Wake up at 7am
Rush through shower and breakfast
Sit through 4 incredibly tedious morning lectures
Sit in the library for an hour waiting for labs in the afternoon
Labs from 2-5pm
Get some groceries
Back to halls
Sleep/talk to flatmates

repeat 5 days a week..
Reply 62
Typical:

Wake up 10am
Shower eat
Leave 10:30
Lectures 11-2
Lunch (unless I missed a lecture to have lunch)
Sometimes labs/tutorials from 2/3-5
Home, TV, eat, head out or watch tv/play games/chat with flatmates until about 2am.
Reply 63
Alarm at 8, up at 8.30, rush round frantically, lectures or labs at 9 until 11/12, 2 hours break, consume mass amounts of bacon/crack out some last-minute work/pop in to town, 2 or 3 more hours of lectures/tutorials/workshops, dinner, laundry/bar/see boyfriend/go out/4od/iplayer/anything to avoid more work. Pretty standard, it's good really! Enough in the day to keep me busy and not bore myself to tears, not so much as to stress me out.
I don't really have typical days cos my timetable's all over the place, but this is yesterday:
wake up: 7am
actually find the energy to get up: 8am
shower
realise i've got a load of analysis questions to do before 10am tutorial
panic and answer questions
leave for tutorial: 9:59 (i love living so close to lectures :biggrin: )
come back to room and go on facebook/tsr for an hour or so
lunch: 12:30
calculus tutorial: 1:15
run to french oral class and still get there late: 2:15
go back to room and go on facebook for half an hour
double maths lecture: 4:15-6:15
dinner: 6:30
attempt some work then get distracted by iplayer
lots more failed attempts at work and lots of internet dossing and reading
sleep at some point
Monday; I only have one lecture, so usually wake up slowly around half 9, lecture is at 12. Go to lecture, go back to mine for some lunch and then over to the library for a few hours to get some coursework done. (That's if I'm in uni over the weekend, some weekends I go home so if I do I'm on the train from 9-11 then go to lecture, then unpack lol)

Thursday; In at 9am for a workshop, so up at half 7. Have breakfast then go to the workshop for 2 hours, straight to my lecture until 1. Then go back, have dinner and library.

Friday; Lecture at 11-12.30, go to mine for some lunch then back to uni for another 2 hour lecture.

On my days off; Tuesday and Wednesday I usually have a very late lie-in. Have dinner, watch some day-time TV and do some work!

In the night-time I usually go round to my friends flat, have a chinese (I've been having too much of them recently!) or sometimes we go to the pub for a few. Some nights are really boring though, I just watch TV on my own and do work.

Weekends - usually go home to see my family, but if I'm in uni it's usually a really late lie-in and go shopping then drink at night. Like tonight :smile:

I hardly have any hours in uni but my friends does Pharmacy and is in like 9-5 3 days a week and 9-1 the other two days which is tough.. They have lab sessions and practicals though, I'm doing Psychology and we are expected to do loads in our spare time. So it depends what course you do really.
Reply 66
Today wasn't typical, was building a pool for toads.

Monday, for example,
11:00 get up after Sundays archery Social
1:00 Tutorial
2:00 Go and do work in the library or in a department
3:00 Another tutorial, then home
4:00 If I have work to do then I do it
6:00 Eat
8-11 Mondays normally play beer pong, but most other nights normally stay in the house and watch iplayer and 4od or do work. or go shopping :smile:
My typical day goes like this:

Wake up - any time bewteen 7 and 11am, depending on what lectures I have

Shower/get ready

Take the post box key and check if there's anything for me on the way out

Walk to uni

Meet my friends half way there

Lectures

Doss around in the library/cafeteria/town until the next lecture or workshop

Buy a massive coffee to keep myself awake through the rest of the afternoon

Go to lecture

Go to town/go to Morrisons to grab something for tea

Get ''home'' and attempt to do work, but fall asleep for a few hours instead

Cook and eat tea

Either go out, or watch something on 4od

Sleep

I actually think I sleep my way through most of the week. As soon as I get in, I end up sitting in bed, opening my laptop to do some work and the next thing I know it's 8pm and I've lost most of the evening :mmm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Set alarm for 8:00.
Turn alarm off a 8:00, 8:10, 8:20...
Someone in the flat above blasts gangster music at 9:50 and wakes you up.
Bang on ceiling with mop I found.
Realise I have ten minutes to get to lecture on other side of campus.
Never mind I'll go in my pyjamas.
Get half way across campus and see someone you vaguely recognise from week one.
Half an hour chat.
Now I've missed my lecture.
Buy chocolate muffin to cheer me up.
Text someone asking for notes (we need to sort out a timetable)
Gangster music still playing. Bang with mop.
Bed.
Wake up and its 6:00. Time for some work.
Read a chapter of a book and decide I'm hungry.
No food in the fridge.
Check purse. £5. Regret buying chocolate muffin.
Head to tescos, and see someone else I vaguely remember.
They tell me they're going out tonight. Come along.
Can't. Work. Money. Bed...
Recieve three texts. Everyones going out.
Really? Well, I wouldn't want to miss out...
Eat emergency leftover pizza for dinner.
Go out for pre-lash at 9:00.
Insanely drunk by 9:30.
Get taxi at 11:30.
Laugh at someone throwing up.
Queue for club.
Christians are giving out biscuits and tea (score)
Dance in club.
Drink more.
Pull.
Pull again.
Taxi home at 4:00.
After-party.
TSR until 6:00.

As for weekends we don't go out then - too expensive. However we do go out every weekday. Weekends are for sleeping :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by Sweet_Heart
Someone in the flat above blasts gangster music at 9:50 and wakes you up.
Bang on ceiling with mop I found.
Half an hour chat.
Bed.
No food in the fridge.
Queue for club.
Dance in club.
Drink more.
Pull.
Pull again.
After-party.

As for weekends we don't go out then - too expensive. However we do go out every weekday. Weekends are for sleeping :smile:

hahahaaa sounds pretty good to me :smile: cant wait for uni!
Original post by Sweet_Heart
Someone in the flat above blasts gangster music at 9:50 and wakes you up.Bang on ceiling with mop I found.
Half an hour chat.
Bed.
No food in the fridge.
Queue for club.
Dance in club.
Drink more.
Pull.
Pull again.
After-party.

I feel your pain.
I get woken up by a blaring rendition of 'Who let the dogs out?' on a daily basis.

I really wish my neighbour would get a new alarm tone.
Reply 71
- Wake up around 8ish
- Shower, get ready to be in uni for 10
- lecture/ seminar
- Have brunch at 12ish
- lecture/seminar
- Head to library for reading/research/ general work stuff
- lecture/seminar
- Get home around 4/5 ish
- Have dinner
- See who's going out
- Do some more work
- Shower
- Go out
- Get home around 3/4 ish

When we don't go out in the nights I'll watch a film be generally lazy
and the days I don't have uni I sleep till a ridiculous hour, do work and general stuff like washing/cleaning

What has uni done to me :sigh:
Reply 72
8.30 Wake up, shower, make cup of tea and warm up pain au chocolat
8.30.9.30 Get ready,whilst eating breakfast and catchup with something on iplayer
9.30 Leave for Uni (normally I'll walk, sometimes I'll be lazy and get the bus)
10-1 or 10-3-30, Lectures/seminars etc
4- Get back
4-whenever out/ dinner/ debating/ essay/reading/ translation whatever/ sit around with flatmates

I'm in Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Reply 73
W*nk, clean up, repeat.
At the moment I feel like all I do is work (with lots of procrastination and watching of Merlin in between)!

Last Thursday:

7.30: Wake Up, decide to snooze a bit before my 10am lecture (I don't use/need alarms :grin:).
9.35: Wake Up after a '10 minute snooze' and curse (okay, perhaps I should invest in an alarm).
9.40: Have shower and breakfast, decide to skip lecture and get some reading done instead.
12.00: Make some dinner.
13.00: Head off to tutorial.
14.00: Lecture
15.00: Lecture
16.00: Go shopping for food.
16.30: Back to flat, mess around on facebook/TSR/imdb/youtube and procrastinate severely.
17.00: Actually do some work.
18.00: Make tea/hang out in the kitchen with flatmates.
20.00: Watch TV.
22.00: Read
23.00: Go to sleep.

Now press repeat...
Reply 75
Original post by Emmie3303
At the moment I feel like all I do is work (with lots of procrastination and watching of Merlin in between)!

Last Thursday:

7.30: Wake Up, decide to snooze a bit before my 10am lecture (I don't use/need alarms :grin:).
9.35: Wake Up after a '10 minute snooze' and curse (okay, perhaps I should invest in an alarm).
9.40: Have shower and breakfast, decide to skip lecture and get some reading done instead.
12.00: Make some dinner.
13.00: Head off to tutorial.
14.00: Lecture
15.00: Lecture
16.00: Go shopping for food.
16.30: Back to flat, mess around on facebook/TSR/imdb/youtube and procrastinate severely.
17.00: Actually do some work.
18.00: Make tea/hang out in the kitchen with flatmates.
20.00: Watch TV.
22.00: Read
23.00: Go to sleep.

Now press repeat...

May ask, at uni dont they take register? i mean you skip first lesson then you go to second and dont they screw on u for missing the first one? or?
My days tend to vary from week to week as sometimes our scheduled lectures are cancelled for personal study time, plus I've started working again now so my use of time is going to be very different from how it was the past 2 months. We also, almost always, never finish at the time we're supposed to, usually we finish early. But generally:

Uni days
Wake up to alarm at 6am to reset it for 7am as I like to wake up earlier than I need to so I know I still have ages in bed :tongue:
Get the bus at 7:55am
9:30am til 12:30pm is my first lecture, generally we start at 10 though and so between 9:30 and 10 is for getting there and settling in, waking up lol, etc
12:30pm til 1:30pm lunch
1:30pm til 4:30pm second lecture, we usually end up finishing around 3 though
If we finish between 3pm and 4pm then me and my friends usually go to the pub :tongue: stay there til about 5pm or 5:30pm
I then get the bus home, have tea, watch some tv and go on computer (or do my assignments depending on how close it is to deadlines :tongue:) and then go to bed
I try to aim to go to bed about 11pm to get 8 hours sleep but usually that goes out the window and I go to bed about midnight

Days off
Get up anywhere between 10:30am and 1pm :tongue:
Stay in pj's watching tv and on computer until about 4pm and then have a shower
Have tea, watch tv and go on computer and go to bed at midnight lol
That's when I have nothing to do though, if I've got somewhere to go I will get up and get dressed earlier and stuff. I try to do my assignments on my days off too but I really lack the motivation when I'm off :frown: I find it much easier to get motivated to do work if I'm actually in uni on a day off rather than staying at home on a day off.

Work days
Get up whatever time I need to, watch tv and go on computer, and have breakfast/lunch (depending on what time I start work), then have a shower and get dressed about 45 mins before I need to leave, then go to work.
Obviously I then stay at work til I finish my shift, then come home, possibly have tea (depending how late I get home), either watch tv or go on the computer or both, then go to bed.

Clearly I'm far too lazy, and watch tv and use the computer too much :tongue: lol, but obviously I do make sure to do my assignments and stuff. But we've made the 3rd bedroom (don't live in student accommodation) into an office area now and I've found I feel more motivated to do my work in there as the only distraction I really have is the computer, but even with the computer on if I've got my music playing I'm more likely to use my computer for that and actually do work rather than going on facebook or TSR. Obviously these provide a nice distraction when you need a break though :tongue:
Original post by Swimmer
May ask, at uni dont they take register? i mean you skip first lesson then you go to second and dont they screw on u for missing the first one? or?

I do four different courses, so the first lecture is different to all the others throughout the day. I only skip if I'm ill or if I'll be so late that it's not worth it :grin:. They only take a register in some of my smaller lectures. (There are over 150 people in my 10am lecture, so it would take forever). It's the tutorials that are monitered and I haven't missed any of them :smile:.
Original post by Swimmer

Apparently mine do, because they need to tell student finance that you are attending so that you get your money (don't know how this works with other unis) but it's not like school or college. They don't really mention it to you when you miss a lesson, unless your attendance falls below something like 80% and even then it's just to point out to you that your attendance is low. I've never really had my tutor "have a go at me" or anything when I've missed lectures, but usually I only miss them if I'm ill and will usually email them if I won't be in.
Original post by _Shanice_
Uni days
Wake up to alarm at 6am to reset it for 7am as I like to wake up earlier than I need to so I know I still have ages in bed :tongue:

I used to do that when I had to get up for college. I'd get my dad to make sure I was awake at least an hour before I had to get up, because he got up early for work :grin:.

Quick Reply

Latest