The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChangedMyMind
I attended the open afternoon today at the medical school. PBL will be taught one two hour session a week for the first ten weeks followed by two two hour sessions a week thereafter.

They also said to aim for a UKCAT of 2400-2500 but said last year the cut-off was 2610 but that it could go back down again depending on the average.

Was really impressed with the facilities and the staff were really nice!

It'l probably go up though.
It seems to every other year.
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I attended the open afternoon today at the medical school. PBL will be taught one two hour session a week for the first ten weeks followed by two two hour sessions a week thereafter.

They also said to aim for a UKCAT of 2400-2500 but said last year the cut-off was 2610 but that it could go back down again depending on the average.

Was really impressed with the facilities and the staff were really nice!

I know what you mean, I went to the open day back in June and really likedeverything I heard about the course and all its facilities. Personally, I really loved the sound of VS especially :biggrin:

I'm glad that generally after the first 10 weeks, there's still going to be 2 sessions of PBL.

I really hope that the UKCAT cut off score doesn't go up!
I forgot to add to my post earlier about admissions. The admissions lady told me that the number one reason for graduate rejections is a poor personal statement. She said that graduates rarely put in all the things they have done and told me to include everything right back to your school years.

She also told me that they do not score UCAS forms at all. If you meet the academic requirements thats it - so everything is based on your interview (if you get one!).
Original post by ScottishShortiex
I know what you mean, I went to the open day back in June and really likedeverything I heard about the course and all its facilities. Personally, I really loved the sound of VS especially :biggrin:

I'm glad that generally after the first 10 weeks, there's still going to be 2 sessions of PBL.

I really hope that the UKCAT cut off score doesn't go up!

VS?
Reply 44
Original post by joemullally
VS?

Vocational Studies - so communication skills, you learn about ethics, some clinical visits, etc. Group of 8 with a tutor (normally a GP) for 3 hours a week. Same group for a year.
Original post by lekky
Vocational Studies - so communication skills, you learn about ethics, some clinical visits, etc. Group of 8 with a tutor (normally a GP) for 3 hours a week. Same group for a year.

Ahh grand. That sounds quite cool actually.

3 hours a week? Must be quite a bit to cover too.
Original post by lekky

Hi Lekky :smile: In terms of clinical visits in first year, does this include the Western Infirmary and Glasgow Royal Infirmary? Haven't really been able to find out regarding this.
Reply 47
Original post by joemullally
Ahh grand. That sounds quite cool actually.

3 hours a week? Must be quite a bit to cover too.

Fair bit. It's not "challenging" in the way the PBL work is so it's easy to lulled into a false sense of security & not revise it for exams and then get bitch slapped by an 8 mark question on VS content :sigh:
Reply 48
Original post by resortini
Hi Lekky :smile: In terms of clinical visits in first year, does this include the Western Infirmary and Glasgow Royal Infirmary? Haven't really been able to find out regarding this.

We went to the Royal A&E department, haven't been to the western though that's just my group and different groups seem to go to different placements.
Original post by lekky
We went to the Royal A&E department, haven't been to the western though that's just my group and different groups seem to go to different placements.

Thanks for the quick reply :smile: I'd really appreciate it if you could briefly summarise what sort of clinical placements we'll do in the first year. General practice comes to mind, as well as the hospital placement which you mentioned... How often and for how long?
Reply 50
Original post by resortini
Thanks for the quick reply :smile: I'd really appreciate it if you could briefly summarise what sort of clinical placements we'll do in the first year. General practice comes to mind, as well as the hospital placement which you mentioned... How often and for how long?

Not that many really, A&E, several GP visits to various clinics run, hospice.. that's all that I can remember. All for a morning/day.
Original post by lekky
Not that many really, A&E, several GP visits to various clinics run, hospice.. that's all that I can remember. All for a morning/day.

That's exactly what I thought - thanks for clearing things up.
Reply 52
Hello everyone reading this,

This is my first post on this forum - I tend to post on NMM, but I have been stalking here for a wee while. As a short intro:blah:, Im 33, a mum to my wee 21 month old boy, I work PT, and Im a graduate (twice).

I have a bit of a dilemma as to whether to apply. I need some help:please:. My situation is a long (long) story, so to be brief: I am heart set on medicine, have been for a decade. I sat the UKCAT in 2009 but got 620 and as I was only able to apply to Glasgow due to being settled here etc, I failed their UKCAT cutoff.....tried to get over it, but as so many of you understand, its not so easy to give up on a dream and after much practice this time, I sat the UKCAT again. This time, I was soooo nervous and basically fluffed up the QR, failing to even reach half way in my pathetic state of nerves! .... 620 again. Again, faced with only being able to apply to glasgow (although I could apply to edinburgh if it wasnt for the commute).

I could really do with some thoughts. Would this be a waste of time? Admissions obviously cannot commit to any answer as they dont know what the standard of the first 800 appplicants will be until november...

What should I do?

What scores do you have?

Thanks

Grubbette :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by grubbette

This is my first post on this forum - I tend to post on NMM, but I have been stalking here for a wee while. As a short intro:blah:, Im 33, a mum to my wee 21 month old boy, I work PT, and Im a graduate (twice).

I have a bit of a dilemma as to whether to apply. I need some help:please:. My situation is a long (long) story, so to be brief: I am heart set on medicine, have been for a decade. I sat the UKCAT in 2009 but got 620 and as I was only able to apply to Glasgow due to being settled here etc, I failed their UKCAT cutoff.....tried to get over it, but as so many of you understand, its not so easy to give up on a dream and after much practice this time, I sat the UKCAT again. This time, I was soooo nervous and basically fluffed up the QR, failing to even reach half way in my pathetic state of nerves! .... 620 again. Again, faced with only being able to apply to glasgow (although I could apply to edinburgh if it wasnt for the commute).

I could really do with some thoughts. Would this be a waste of time? Admissions obviously cannot commit to any answer as they dont know what the standard of the first 800 appplicants will be until november...

What should I do?

What scores do you have?

Thanks

Hi :smile:

I don't really post that much here either so i don't know how much help i'll be! :P

you should go for it!!! even just sit the ukcat again and see where it leaves you. i know (and you probably will too) the glasgow cut-off last year was 2610 so if you get say 2700 then you'll stand a good chance (but like you say, no one knows for definite). I personally think you should go for it!!!!! it is your dream :biggrin: i personally would.

i haven't sat the ukcat but am going to evaluate which unis to apply to (maybe even some in england!) based on my result :/

good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 54

What should I do?

What scores do you have?

Thanks

Unfortunately 620 is very unlikely to reach the UKCAT cut off :frown: This year it is likely to be over 660.

What I would suggest is contacting the University and explaining that you are unable to apply anywhere other than Glasgow, and could they please take this into consideration when selecting for interview? The worst that can happen is that they say no.
I really hope my UKCAT is high enough (booked for 9th september). Glasgow would definitely be my number 1 choice! Fingers crossed!
Better get my ass on this thread :ninja:

What should I do?

What scores do you have?

Thanks

Another mummy! Yay! SweetChilli and Paula will be ace people to speak, as will my sweet self :smug:

I swear to God, if they get me for Commitment to Medicine this year, I will start a ****ing riot.
Original post by Harbour Seal
Better get my ass on this thread :ninja:

Another mummy! Yay! SweetChilli and Paula will be ace people to speak, as will my sweet self :smug:

I swear to God, if they get me for Commitment to Medicine this year, I will start a ****ing riot.

Were you rejected last year because of that? What kind of WE have you done if you don't me nosily asking? :wink:
Reply 58
Oh god... I've just realised that it's less than two months till the deadline...

Honestly, after getting my results this year, if I'm going to get in anywhere it's gonna be Glasgow. I have the minimum requirements and everything but I only got ABB in my AHs and basically all the re-applicants are going to have AAA. It's good that Glasgow don't look at your grades once you get the entry requirements.

Just this UKCAT to worry about now (and then obviously personal statement). I'm just hoping that I get the cut-off this year. I was dying last year when I came out the test center and realised I was below the cut-off. I haven't even booked it yet or started studying for it. I think I'm just trying to put it off for long as I can...Bad idea I know....

I have so much to do before the deadline. I hate that I only get the motivation to do anything about it though at this time of night... *sigh*
Original post by G550NDH
Helllllo guys ! Glasgow is a brilliant place to apply ! I can't wait till i start in september !

Cut off this year was 652.5
A Level grades needed was AAB BUT they have moved it up to AAA

Highers: Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.

Pass in SG English at Grade 2 or an Intermediate 2 pass in English or above is required.

Top 800 UKCAT get interviewed (thats how they decide the cut off point)
You then get interviewed then hopefully an offer :biggrin:

Good luck to all of you and if you need any questions I'm sure you can PM sweet chilli or me :smile:

YAYY! Looking forward to apply, got my UKCAT in 2 weeks. :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest