The Student Room Group

What are the best books to buy for revising GCSE Science?

Hi, I'm doing my GCSE science revision at the moment for my first of my science exams, bio which is on the 15th April..I think for biology and physics,and chemistry a revision book would be a good help? Just something with good info and practise. We do CCEA higher tier science. I'm doing double award, appreciate the help!! :smile:
Definitely CGP...But if your doing foundation then I'm guessing your school book is good enough.
Reply 2
Original post by ScienceConfusion
Hi, I'm doing my GCSE science revision at the moment for my first of my science exams, bio which is on the 15th April..I think for biology and physics,and chemistry a revision book would be a good help? Just something with good info and practise. We do CCEA higher tier science. I'm doing double award, appreciate the help!! :smile:

CGP was my life.
CGP did it for me, but my brother who's now doing GCSEs has a revision book that is made by the company that did his textbook, it looks really useful.. I think its AQA separate sciences, if im not mistaken!
Reply 4
CGP are very good, although I don't know whether they do one for CCEA. If they do, it's very good, I have the AQA one and it helps a lot. If you can, try and get one specific to your board (even if it isn't CGP), as while you can get some that are 'suitable for all UK exam boards' they can be quite vague at the stuff you need to know for your particular exam. Hope this helped :smile:
Thanks everyone!! appreciate it so much. Do I purchase the core science or additional science one? we're doing higher tier so I'm guessing it's the core science higher level? Also, sorry, but did you all buy separate books for chem, bio and physics or just one with everything in it? thank you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
For double science (so, core and additional) you want one with everything in it. There will be GCSE Core Science higher level, and GCSE Additional Science (hl) books. You'll need those instead of GCSE Chemistry, GCSE Biology and GCSE Physics, if you're doing double.Check with your teacher whether you're doing Core or Additional, but usually you do core in year 10, and additional in year 11. :smile:
Thank you!! So, If I buy just one book instead of all 3 separate ones, it'll do the job? or should I get the three (one for each separate science?) keeping in mind I want to do all my revision from the study book (eg practise and making notes) sorry I just want to be sure that the one study guide will be enough. :smile:
Reply 8
Or you can buy all three books, I do double science as well and find the cgp books really good. I have 3 different books but im sure that if you buy one book with all the information it will be good as well.
Reply 9
Definitely CGP, although don't get attached to them!

GCSE - CGP=A*

A LEVEL - CGP=D
Original post by ScienceConfusion

CGP, they saved my ass!
Aww, you guys! ordering them now..I think I'll go for the one book.. Additional science, I have one month to cram!! should i get the COMPLETE revision and practise book or the simpler revision guide made specifically for my course plus a workbook and papers? so confused!! THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE
Additional science is module 2 and arent you doing module 1 now?
Yes, I'm year 11.. though there's an additional science one that says 'for courses finishing June 2012 (year 11 students)' do you think it'd be the right book?
yeah probably is, are you doing module 2? Im year 11 too and ive got module 2 in summer and module 1 retakes
I'm only on module one, we do module one in year 11 and module 2 in year 12 :smile:
Also, should I get additional higher tier or additional lower tier? the harder qu's might help me to prepare better? thank you guys!!
You should definitely get higher tier unless you are definitely doing foundation
Ok thanks guys!! I got 2 complete revision guides with practise answers etc for Maths and Science..and practise papers and a workbook for science help...all from CGP. Thank you all for helping me! Good luck with your exams. Hope you all do well. :smile:
Teacher has told us to get CGP, very effective have no flaws but maybe a bit of colour for poinient remembrance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending