The Student Room Group

Get Revising Flash Cards your thoughts please

Hi all

We're just days away from launching our new set of features on TSR's sister site www.getrevising.co.uk.

In order to deliver the most value to our students I am hoping you can assist me with some feedback on the below?

Get Revising will soon include the ability to make, view and print flashcards. These are smaller than the existing revision cards and will automatically convert into crosswords and quizsearches (wordsearches with questions).

In order to give you and your peers the best tool we would like to know how you currently make flashcards for your revision so we can make our service do exactly what students want.

For example, types of flash card include :

questions on one side and answers on the other
a name on one side - what they said on the other
a word on one side - definition on the other
a date on one side - what happened then on the other
the name of a theory on one side - explanation of the theory on the other

Do these types make sense to you?

What other types have worked for you in different subjects that you think we should include?

A massive thank you in advance for any thought you have :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
I sometimes do sentence with keywords missing on one side and then completed sentence on the back (basically a gap fill) so wether you get it right or wrong you have to read the phrase a few times (e.g when you first see it, when you put in the missing words and when you check your answer) it helps it stick in your head better with the repetition

Reply 2
reading my notes before I go to bed helps me memorise,flash cards not some much I do detailed notes that could take hours but

I write all the information under sub headings I would then get a blank piece of paper write the sub heading and write down everything I know about that specific sub heading beneath it,works for all subjects morew so history and geography
I sometimes make Tridents on my flash cards eg
The 'main' heading:
Rivers

Then make three branches from the word Rivers, which correspond to it,
So upper course, middle course, and lower course.

Then at the back, write about them in more detail.

Also for me; colour is a must. I need various colours especially ones that contrast each other, I mainly use: Pink/Purple/Blue/Green/Sometime black.
Also highlight things :smile:

Would also be good if their was an option to say copy paste a URL of an image, which can be directly added onto the flash card. Along with this, maybe a feature to insert your own image, though I prefer the URL method. It may even be a good idea to have the ability to draw mini diagrams, like in paint.

Different types of fonts, underlining things etc...

I like to include like weird borders around small pieces of texts if that makes sense,
It would be good if there was a feature to add text boxes onto them - so you can have say 3 text boxes of text within the flash card.

Would be good if you can include spider diagrams as well. So it can automatically make it for you - and maybe a more advanced feature; to link things within the spider diagram so eg:
Central theme: Rivers
Arrow pointing to: Meander
Then within the meander have another arrow to point to: Bend in the river.

For languages (speaking exams), I like to write the question on one side then answer on the other.

Sometimes what I do is write about something on one side, for example "Rivers contain: Waterfalls, gorges, meanders and Ox-box lakes"
Then at the back I'll write a rhyme to help me remember that, eg "Williams games meet oranges"
Original post by skyeblue
I sometimes do sentence with keywords missing on one side and then completed sentence on the back (basically a gap fill) so wether you get it right or wrong you have to read the phrase a few times (e.g when you first see it, when you put in the missing words and when you check your answer) it helps it stick in your head better with the repetition

Thanks Skye this really useful feedback, the ability to test yourself through gap fill is really useful and technically achievable and is on the list of next steps. Making things like this as easy to use as possible is key I guess.

Thanks so much for your input it's massively appreciated :smile:

Original post by diggy
reading my notes before I go to bed helps me memorise,flash cards not some much I do detailed notes that could take hours but

I write all the information under sub headings I would then get a blank piece of paper write the sub heading and write down everything I know about that specific sub heading beneath it,works for all subjects morew so history and geography

Thanks Diggy. This actually sounds like you use an approach similar to our existing revision noted and revision cards. Consolidating detailed notes into a condensed from in our case on A5 cards. The flash cards concepts just takes the consolidation one step further.

Everyone has their own way of learning and we are just providing tools and functions to support people in whichever way students prefer. I'm glad you have a means that works well for you and really appreciate your input and feedback :smile:

Thanks again

Original post by Shanij
The 'main' heading:
Rivers

Also for me; colour is a must. I need various colours especially ones that contrast each other, I mainly use: Pink/Purple/Blue/Green/Sometime black.

Would also be good if their was an option to say copy paste a URL of an image, which can be directly added onto the flash card. Along with this, maybe a feature to insert your own image, though I prefer the URL method. It may even be a good idea to have the ability to draw mini diagrams, like in paint.

I like to include like weird borders around small pieces of texts if that makes sense,
It would be good if there was a feature to add text boxes onto them - so you can have say 3 text boxes of text within the flash card.

Would be good if you can include spider diagrams as well. So it can automatically make it for you - and maybe a more advanced feature; to link things within the spider diagram so eg:

For languages (speaking exams), I like to write the question on one side then answer on the other.

Sometimes what I do is write about something on one side, for example "Rivers contain: Waterfalls, gorges, meanders and Ox-box lakes"
Then at the back I'll write a rhyme to help me remember that, eg "Williams games meet oranges"

Wow Shanij

This is fantastically useful to me in how we take flash cards forwards over time.

I love the way you have been able to distill various ways of using colour imagery and and content to keep learning fresh and engaging.

I can see how flash cards really work for you and will take on board all these ideas when planning our improvements after the initial release.

We will be getting the base version out very soon but will be enhancing these and the other existing and new tools on GR throughout the year.

I really appreciate you takings the time and giving the thought you have to my post and I'm sure our developments will be all the better with your input.

Thanks again and any more thoughts on flash card types and uses are always valued :smile:

Original post by According to Pete
Wow Shanij

This is fantastically useful to me in how we take flash cards forwards over time.

I love the way you have been able to distill various ways of using colour imagery and and content to keep learning fresh and engaging.

I can see how flash cards really work for you and will take on board all these ideas when planning our improvements after the initial release.

We will be getting the base version out very soon but will be enhancing these and the other existing and new tools on GR throughout the year.

I really appreciate you takings the time and giving the thought you have to my post and I'm sure our developments will be all the better with your input.

Thanks again and any more thoughts on flash card types and uses are always valued :smile:

Welcome! I'm glad I could help, I love GR - It is so helpful! Overall, I would say the main focus should be to ensure it is simple to use, yet have various features to allow everybody to use it according to their learning style :smile:
- If possible would you be able to have a print out template of the small revision cards?
- Maybe with different types of backgrounds (eg for Maths notes maybe a squared background), but for other subjects plain or lined / That way I can also hand write if I ever want to simply by printing the flash card in a manner which suits my notes.
Original post by Shanij
Welcome! I'm glad I could help, I love GR - It is so helpful! Overall, I would say the main focus should be to ensure it is simple to use, yet have various features to allow everybody to use it according to their learning style :smile:
- If possible would you be able to have a print out template of the small revision cards?
- Maybe with different types of backgrounds (eg for Maths notes maybe a squared background), but for other subjects plain or lined / That way I can also hand write if I ever want to simply by printing the flash card in a manner which suits my notes.

I like the backgrounds point and we will release with the capacity to print cards and I will look into the template point too.

We have actually built integrated test yourself tools that utilise flash card data too so creating one set of cards will allow you to learn then test yourself using crosswords, quizzes and quiz searches. This makes these cards totally integrated into what Get Revising is about.

I'd love to hear your thoughts once released.

Pete
I like the backgrounds point and we will release with the capacity to print cards and I will look into the template point too.

We have actually built integrated test yourself tools that utilise flash card data too so creating one set of cards will allow you to learn then test yourself using crosswords, quizzes and quiz searches. This makes these cards totally integrated into what Get Revising is about.

I'd love to hear your thoughts once released.

Pete

Thats great! I'll check it out the test yourself tools tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Shanij
Thats great! I'll check it out the test yourself tools tomorrow :smile:

We are just testing the final elements of the new tools and hopefully they will be available on GR sometime next week. I will pop back on to let you know when they are available :smile:
We are just testing the final elements of the new tools and hopefully they will be available on GR sometime next week. I will pop back on to let you know when they are available :smile:

Reply 12
I haven't used those type of flash cards in a good while (tend to use revision cards or just notes instead), but I remember that I had a variety of the combinations you listed there within one topic. So I guess make sure you're not too restrictive with what can be in-putted.

Also, don't forget sciency ones... 'equation name-equation', 'rule name-rule'

At a higher level could also have 'theorem-proof'.

xxx
I just realised, if you incorporate chemical formulas etc, you will somehow need a feature which can include symbols which are hard to find on the keyboard
For example those atomic mass numbers, etc

Just a thought :smile:
Original post by kpwxx
I haven't used those type of flash cards in a good while (tend to use revision cards or just notes instead), but I remember that I had a variety of the combinations you listed there within one topic. So I guess make sure you're not too restrictive with what can be in-putted.

Also, don't forget sciency ones... 'equation name-equation', 'rule name-rule'

At a higher level could also have 'theorem-proof'.

xxx

Thanks kpwxx being able to support mathematical formulae and language formats such as accents etc is something we will be introducing. These suggested types are very helpful and I will pass these on.

Thanks so much for giving your thoughts :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Shanij
The 'main' heading:
Rivers

Wow you seem like you've been thoroughly revising! Good luck with exams :smile:
Original post by ekta9
Wow you seem like you've been thoroughly revising! Good luck with exams :smile:

Thankyou :smile:

It's really useful comment and will shape how tools are created so an opinion is greatly appreciated.

All that matters is helping everyone with their studies and making life as easy as possible for you all.
Reply 18
These are so useful for me to revise, thanks

Quick Reply