The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Jesus College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Are the college grounds open at all to the public or prospective applicants? I'm coming to Cambridge on 28th April (Sat), do you think they would let me have a wander around to see what Jesus is like?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 61
Yep, open to all. Unlike Johns', who I believe charge people to have a look around?
Reply 62
Wildebeest
Are the college grounds open at all to the public or prospective applicants? I'm coming to Cambridge on 28th April (Sat), do you think they would let me have a wander around to see what Jesus is like?

If you are coming on the 28th of April then PM me and I'll send you my contact details. I do access at Jesus and would be more than willing to show you around, make a cup of tea, let you meet people from your subject, see college rooms!

Justin
Reply 63
Apagg
Yep, open to all. Unlike Johns', who I believe charge people to have a look around?

Most colleges that charge will let you in for free if you tell them you are going to apply.

Justin
Reply 64
I have just received a letter regarding the choice of college rooms for the first year and am having a bit of trouble deciding which to go for. Would you recommend splashing out and going for an ensuite in one of the new blocks or are the Chapel Court bedsits a reasonable option? Where do most freshers go?
Reply 65
The Chapel Court bedsits are very good value now, as the prices have come down by £100+ in many cases. The sets are also slightly cheaper than they were.
Basically, you need to ask yourself, do I want to spend the extra money (£500 or so compared to some bedsits) for a shower and toilet in my room? Bear in mind that for most bedsits there will be a shower within 30 seconds walk (up or down a couple of flights of stairs), the same for toilet facilities.

If you do go for an ensuite, I'd choose North Court over Library Court because in my view it's better value for money.
Reply 66
I'd agree.

North court are certainly the most comfortable but you pay alot for an ensuite. Chapel Court have been further imporved with new kitchens etc.

Sets are usually availible as well if your looking for a typically oxbridge room.

Oh and some nice rooms in second court have been set aside for freshers as well as far as i'm aware.
Reply 67
Thanks for the advice - I will probably go for Chapel Court as I love old rooms and think I can manage a short walk to the shower!
Reply 68
JHutcher
I'd agree.

North court are certainly the most comfortable but you pay alot for an ensuite. Chapel Court have been further imporved with new kitchens etc.

Sets are usually availible as well if your looking for a typically oxbridge room.

Oh and some nice rooms in second court have been set aside for freshers as well as far as i'm aware.

I agree with Justin. I'm in North Court this year, but next year they'll be more expensive, and I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much...... they are lovely rooms though for those lucky few for whom money is no object.

Oh, and I also agree with Justin.... if anyone ever wants to visit just let him know and he'll no doubt inform me..... I should be in Cambridge through large parts of the summer hols, so if anyone wants to visit then then just let me know if you want a guide and I'd be more than willing!
Reply 69
Any one is Jesus doing engineering?

I really want to know how is Dr. Geoff
Reply 70
beausoli
Any one is Jesus doing engineering?

I really want to know how is Dr. Geoff

If you email the JCSU they can put you in touch with an engineer.
Hey everyone

Got an offer to do English at Jesus for entry in 2007, and im also confused about the accommodation. I think ill go for the chapel court option as its cheaper and i dont mind not having a toilet and shower in my room! Would you reccommend getting a set or just a normal room - what do most people do.

Btw Will and Justin -I remember you guys!! Were you there on around the 8th i think it was, when everyone was watching countdown in the marshall room. That was so funny...i would have got moer involved, if i hadnt been more nervous for my interview...

I think it was will who i talked to the most - doing english as well right? And also VicWat...is your last name waters? Cos i remember someone had an interview on the same day as me and their last name was also waters. Was that for English? Well congratulations on your offer anyways!!

Just want to pass exams now...
Reply 72
SarahWaters1989
Hey everyone

Got an offer to do English at Jesus for entry in 2007, and im also confused about the accommodation. I think ill go for the chapel court option as its cheaper and i dont mind not having a toilet and shower in my room! Would you reccommend getting a set or just a normal room - what do most people do.

Btw Will and Justin -I remember you guys!! Were you there on around the 8th i think it was, when everyone was watching countdown in the marshall room. That was so funny...i would have got moer involved, if i hadnt been more nervous for my interview...

I think it was will who i talked to the most - doing english as well right? And also VicWat...is your last name waters? Cos i remember someone had an interview on the same day as me and their last name was also waters. Was that for English? Well congratulations on your offer anyways!!

Just want to pass exams now...

My surname is actually Watson and I'm doing SPS so it definitely wasn't me! Glad I'm not the only one who had problems deciding about the accomodation - I went for a Chapel Court set in the end after much lengthy deliberation! Your interview day sounds much more entertaining than mine -the Marshall Room was very quiet and everyone was reading books or newspapers. I would definitely have been game for some Countdown to ease the nerves! Good luck with your exams.
Oh right - oopsy :P... Ah well...

Thanks for the good luck for the exams - we're on study leave at the moment and although i like it better than school it always makes me paranoid cos i never know if people are doing the same amount as me, or more, or whether im what im doing is right n things...I just cant wait for them to be over!!

How is revision for you - are you taking 3 or 4 A levels? Anything exciting to look forward to over summer?
Reply 74
SarahWaters1989
Oh right - oopsy :P... Ah well...

Thanks for the good luck for the exams - we're on study leave at the moment and although i like it better than school it always makes me paranoid cos i never know if people are doing the same amount as me, or more, or whether im what im doing is right n things...I just cant wait for them to be over!!

How is revision for you - are you taking 3 or 4 A levels? Anything exciting to look forward to over summer?

eeek revision... don't envy A-Level revision... it was much harder than my first... and even this years revision.

The most exciting thing i did between school and coming up was the obligatory trip to ikea lol.
Reply 75
Justin, I want to respond to the parenting email but you've not included your email address, get on it
Reply 76
Apagg
Justin, I want to respond to the parenting email but you've not included your email address, get on it

Facebook has my email... and the hermes address book thing.

jh531
Hey, I have got an offer from Jesus for Land Economy 2007. Just waiting for my results now, although I am a little/a lot worried that I haven't done well enough in my maths a-level for an A. Any other Land Economy Jesuans out there?

Bring on results day! And then hopefully, bring on September!! :biggrin: Can't wait to meet you guys.
Oh btw, just out of curiosity, is the email (for a guy names John Smith) [email protected] or [email protected] or what?

Cheers
Reply 79
emails are your initials plus a number @cam.ac.uk
ie John James Smith will be [email protected] or something similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending