The Student Room Group

Fancy Dress - Questions, advice, cheap solutions, themes

With freshers week just round the corner and then halloween, fancy dress is always tricky! Whether you're looking for the perfect fancy dress theme for your party, can't decide on what costume to wear or need to work out how to make a costume when you've got no money, this is the place to come to!

Scroll to see replies

Hey people,
i have to go to a party next weekend and i have no money at all, any ideas for female movie characters that it would be relatively chaep and easy to get a costume together for....something original though!
Reply 2
Audrey Hepburn:-D
Edie Sedgewick!
lara croft is quite simple, cheap and easy- but very effective! i had a hollywood theme party for my birthday and lots of ideas came from that. erm there was me as velma kelly from chicago, lara croft, marylin monroe, galadriel from lotr, holly golightly from breakfast at tiffany's, tinkerbell, kate beckinsale in pearl harbour.
Beaten to it :sad:
Reply 6
okay so this isn't the most original idea in the book but...
Marilyn Monroe?
Reply 7
Leeloo
Reply 8
princess lea, my friend did it by wearing a sheet with a hole for the head then putting a bit of cord around her waist. then just improvise the hair...
Batwomen.
Oh I know..Princess Jasmine from Alladin?

Do you have black hair?
Reply 11
Poison Ivy :biggrin:
Reply 12
a pirate of somekind.
eyepatch+sword
:smile:
Reply 13
easiest ever...and very chic....uma thurman in pulp fiction. = oversized white button down shirt, black slightly flared trousers. platform heels. cheap black bob wig. cigarette in hand (smoking optional). excepting the wig...its just a bunch of regular wardrobe staples.
Tinkerbellllllllllllllllllll
the girl from the ring, white dress long black hair face paint.
nun from the sound of music
any of the women from scooby doo
grease pink ladies
flintstones
laracroft
avatar- blue body paint/leggings etc
How about the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz. All you need is a black outfit with a cape, a witch hat and some green face paint.
Miss Trunchball
Sally Bowles (black vest top, black shorts, simple stockings/cut up an old pair of tights, you can get cheap bowler hats if you look)

Baby Jane (White nightdress, overapplication of eyeliner, cheap nasty wig)

Marilyn's Gentlemen Prefer Blondes costume?

This needs effort, but very cheap and fun (imo anyway) get a skin tone leotard and those see-through tights and glue Ann Summer's fabric rose petals all over them a la Angela from American Beauty :awesome:
Reply 19
Hi, I'm going to a fancy dress party with this sort of theme, was thinking of going as Elle Woods from Legally Blonde because I've got blonde hair (yes I know, very original! :tongue:) but I can't find any cheapish, bright pink jackets anywhere like the one she wears with her skirt and heels?

Thus link might work? (It's a pic of her in the jacket and skirt).
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=legally+blonde+pink&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1C1SKPL_enGB402GB402&biw=1280&bih=933&tbm=isch&tbnid=YCSYdwnwnxNvsM:&imgrefurl=http://neuroticnewyorker-malepore.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-love-pink.html&docid=l4E8bY1XqeCOWM&w=300&h=400&ei=V3t7TuPLLKPC0QXVuPijAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=421&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=99&start=0&ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=61&ty=60

I've tried looking in charity shops and things but obviously stock varies every day. Any ideas? Has anyone gone as a Legally Blonde character to a party/does anyone have any other ideas for possible costumes pretty please??

Would be so so grateful for any ideas :smile: (will give rep too :smile: ) thank youu xxxx

Quick Reply