The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Girl&#9829
* No, cockroaches can't fly
* No, they don't eat people while they sleep... they can't actually bite
* They are completely harmless unless they start multiplying and contaminating food etc
* DO NOT squash them as this releases their eggs which will hatch all over your room, when they die they also leave a scent for other cockroaches who come and eat them...
* The best way to get rid of them is to drown them, put them in a glass and put them outside, spray them with hairspray so their legs stick together and they can't move, or just pick it up and put it in a field somwehere.....
* Make sure your room's clean too...
* And don't forget, if you behead one... somehow... they can live for aaaaaaaaages without a head! Nice!
* They are REEEEEEEEEALLY fast when scared, which would explain how it got away

(I know this because we recently spent a week in Gran Canaria, which is famous for its cockroach infestations... the holiday rep gave us a "bug book" and that was in it....)

Hope you get rid of your little friend...

Thanks for your reply esp. about the don't squish them part as that's what I planned to do. that's a lot off my mind.

I just did a little research and it's definately a german cockroach.

apparently boric acid helps so i'm going to see If I can get my hands on some.
Reply 21
hopes
just eat it that'll make it go away....

And then all the little eggs in it will hatch and eat you from the inside out, like the Scarab beetles do in 'The Mummy'. :biggrin:
Bubbles*de*Milo
I didn't understand why everyone thought this was a troll untill I read the post properly and saw cockroaches try to "eat people while they sleep". :rolleyes:

I didnt just type that for shock value

I read it on two sources:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/roaches/german.htm

"and in extremely heavy infestations have been reported to bite humans and feed on food residues on the faces of sleeping humans"

I'll try to find the second source which said something very similar
CHAMON
They make delicious snacks!

Urghhh! KFC? ... Kentucky Fried Chicken Cockroach.

Reply 24
Tiger Style
feed on food residues on the faces of sleeping humans"

There's the important bit. 'Feed on food residues on the faces of...', NOT 'feed on human faces'.
Girlradioheart did your bug book actually say that non of the subspecies can bite? Because that seems to contradict what the website above states.
DanGrover
whut

most of that whole post was a load of rubbish lol! dont belive her
Tiger Style

"and in extremely heavy infestations have been reported to bite humans and feed on food residues on the faces of sleeping humans"

You wont know if it bites until you've discovered what variety of cockroach it is... I dont think all roaches are the same.
Hi, if this isn't a joke - sprinkle Borax around the area you think the cockroach appeared from. It's a white powder that can work as an insecticide.
Reply 29
urbandervish
Urghhh! KFC? ... Kentucky Fried Chicken Cockroach.

Those pesky Chinese will eat anything! :woo:
Tiger Style

Ok...biting someone is very different to EATING THEM!
Reply 31
Tiger Style
It was the only one I saw but im worried about them being directly harmful as ive heard that they are known to come out at night and try to eat people while they sleep.

what should I do if I see it again??

Also are they capable of flying?? that may explain how it got away

This is true to an extent but you have to travel to the Balkans to hear the real story. The cockroach is actually a gypsy in disguise and it will transform into its real form when the dark clouds and wolf cries herald the night, only then will the gypsy eat you.

Gypsies can fly too, but they need the root of a leek and the blood of a virgin. Yours will do fine.
Reply 32
ugh. i dreamt about cockraoches last night >.>
here's the second one, this got me really concerned:

"3. Physical abuse by cockroaches, both the larger peridomestic and smaller German cockroaches, does occur. Bites on the body, chewing off of eyebrows and feeding on body sores or eye mucus are more common than we like to think about.
4. When cockroach numbers are high, they turn cannibalistic on whatever there is to eat. Crawling into an ear and requiring surgery to remove them does occur, but it is a accidental invasion. Feeding on sores and eyebrows is not accidental. It is intentional."

http://naturefirstpest.com/other-pests/cockroach-dangers/
Yes, it will come out at night and eat you, lol. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, their harmless.
Cockroaches cause impotence, don'tcha know? I'd be careful!

Oh, wait. That's earwigs. My mistake.
Can I eat it?
Reply 37
Tiger Style

4. When cockroach numbers are high, they turn cannibalistic on whatever there is to eat. Crawling into an ear and requiring surgery to remove them does occur, but it is a accidental invasion. Feeding on sores and eyebrows is not accidental. It is intentional."

http://naturefirstpest.com/other-pests/cockroach-dangers/

Right, after reading that they 'turn cannibalistic on whatever there is to eat', I'm inclined not to really trust this website. Cannibals eat their own species, NOT 'whatever there is to eat'.
They crawl up through your skin like the scarabs in The Mummy...
Charlski
Right, after reading that they 'turn cannibalistic on whatever there is to eat', I'm inclined not to really trust this website. Cannibals eat their own species, NOT 'whatever there is to eat'.

hmm yeah, well it seems to be a pest control website so i'm not sure they're being 100% truthful about the nature of roaches.

Although I think right now i'm just trying to convince myself that they're harmless.

Now I know mny of you may think i'm making a big deal about nothing but If you actually see one for the first time yourself and then read information like that, then it can tend to affect you psychologically to some extent.

Latest