The Student Room Group

Possible university change and change of course...

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice as to how to change your course and/or university? Is this something that would have to be done via ucas? would I have missed entry for 2009? Is there any point or should I just finish my degree? Any answers to these questions would be so so helpful. I just need general information on how it would happen, the length of the process etc. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump:

I don't know much about this I'm afraid so hopefully lots of other ppl will see this and respond!:yep:

If you wanted to stay at the same Uni but just change to a different course, the Uni Registry, and maybe each departmental office too, will have Change of Course forms, for one to fill out, obtaining signatures from both Heads of Departments and Deans etc from both the subject that you would want to change from and the subject that you'd want to change to. You'd probably be recommended to speak with your personal/academic tutor about how you're feeling and the situation first. Usually subject changes within the same Uni can only be considered within the 1st few weeks of term, whenever the Uni sets their deadline, providing that you meet the course requirements in terms of A-Level/IB/EB etc subjects, grades and matriculation requirements first. Later on within the term though, like now, you can still speak to the course directors, admissions people or Head of that Department to see what they can do and decide. It may involve you only being able to change your course at the end of that year though.

UCAS-wise, applications through UCAS to universities closes on 15th January 2009, so no, you would not have missed 2009 entry in general. I say in general because the deadlines for applications to Oxbridge and for Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science and maybe one of the Route-A/Route-B Art courses (someone in-the-know on this shall have to verify this) has already passed (been and gone).

IMPORTANT POINT TO NOTE THOUGH: Lots of top Uni's have already started giving lots of offers and interviews out. Because the sooner you get your application in, not compromising quality of course, the better chance you will have of receiving offers and interviews. Because your application will be one amongst a few other's on the admission's tutors desks thus getting more time and attention drawn to it, rather than one of simply thousands all piled up around their room that the tutors have to plough through.

If you're thinking of changing to another University for either the same course or a different course, it is usually considered good form to be released from your current University first before applying to other Uni's through UCAS, or else letting them (the Uni that you are currently at) know of your intentions to go elsewhere and gain their permission for trying to go elsewhere or deifinitely move to someplace else through UCAS.

xemilyx
Is there any point?

Well this question obviously doesn't require a discrete answer: yes or no. There are many different factors to take into account. Such as:

to what extent is your current situation affecting your life and health?;

would sticking it out jeopardise your health and grades further or would trying to change be too much extra stress to deal with before the deadlines for reapplying etc?;

is sticking it out for a year or two more, worth it in the long-run? Does it outweigh the cost of damaging your state of mind or feeling like it's all a wase of time?

Is your heart in the course that you're studying atm? Classics isn't it? Do you mostly enjoy it?

Are you good at your course? How do your academic skills fit what is required for Classics to what is needed for whatever other subject you would like to change to?

Do you hate where you are so much that you really must get out and go elsewhere to another Uni? In what part of the country? Or a campus-based style Uni or other? Any particular Uni's in mind that you'd like to go to?

How does your degree course relate to your future aspirations, career plans and employment prospects?

...And there are probably other questions to put to yourself too that hopefully other people replying to this thread will pick up on. :grouphugs:

Of which, I am sure that you are already well aware of, so as to ask these informed decisions from thinking about changes in the 1st place. It's obviously very important so it's also very important to dedicate the thinking time and space to this issue.:smile:
xemilyx
Or should I just finish my degree?

Well, what year of your degree are you in now? How many years does your degree last for? What have been your grades so far?

Also, just out of personal interest, but it could also help with the enquiries of this thread, what course(s) are you considering changing to/would you like to do instead?:smile:

Take care :hugs: and sorry that I couldn't be more help!:o:

:wavey:
Reply 2
Elements
:bump:

I don't know much about this I'm afraid so hopefully lots of other ppl will see this and respond!:yep:

If you wanted to stay at the same Uni but just change to a different course, the Uni Registry, and maybe each departmental office too, will have Change of Course forms, for one to fill out, obtaining signatures from both Heads of Departments and Deans etc from both the subject that you would want to change from and the subject that you'd want to change to. You'd probably be recommended to speak with your personal/academic tutor about how you're feeling and the situation first. Usually subject changes within the same Uni can only be considered within the 1st few weeks of term, whenever the Uni sets their deadline, providing that you meet the course requirements in terms of A-Level/IB/EB etc subjects, grades and matriculation requirements first. Later on within the term though, like now, you can still speak to the course directors, admissions people or Head of that Department to see what they can do and decide. It may involve you only being able to change your course at the end of that year though.

UCAS-wise, applications through UCAS to universities closes on 15th January 2009, so no, you would not have missed 2009 entry in general. I say in general because the deadlines for applications to Oxbridge and for Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science and maybe one of the Route-A/Route-B Art courses (someone in-the-know on this shall have to verify this) has already passed (been and gone).

IMPORTANT POINT TO NOTE THOUGH: Lots of top Uni's have already started giving lots of offers and interviews out. Because the sooner you get your application in, not compromising quality of course, the better chance you will have of receiving offers and interviews. Because your application will be one amongst a few other's on the admission's tutors desks thus getting more time and attention drawn to it, rather than one of simply thousands all piled up around their room that the tutors have to plough through.

If you're thinking of changing to another University for either the same course or a different course, it is usually considered good form to be released from your current University first before applying to other Uni's through UCAS, or else letting them (the Uni that you are currently at) know of your intentions to go elsewhere and gain their permission for trying to go elsewhere or deifinitely move to someplace else through UCAS.

Well this question obviously doesn't require a discrete answer: yes or no. There are many different factors to take into account. Such as:

to what extent is your current situation affecting your life and health?; I think it's affecting me quite a bit, I am finding it a constant struggle. I thought my gap year would allow me to sort it all out in my head and get happier but it's really really not :frown:

would sticking it out jeopardise your health and grades further or would trying to change be too much extra stress to deal with before the deadlines for reapplying etc?; I suppose it would add extra stress for the short term, but if it meant long term that i was happier and more able to cope with everything then maybe that's what needs to be done. I just feel like a clean break from Leeds is needed.

is sticking it out for a year or two more, worth it in the long-run? Does it outweigh the cost of damaging your state of mind or feeling like it's all a wase of time?I would have a year left... which makes me think I need to just hang on, but long term it could really damage my state of mind. I don't think when I was 17/18 I was mature enough to make informed decisions like this to be honest with you.

Is your heart in the course that you're studying atm? Classics isn't it? Do you mostly enjoy it?I do like classics and it is really interesting, but I am doing classical civilisation, and by not doing a language (greek or Latin) I have kinda screwed myself over, I mean if I wanted to become a teacher I am sure I could teach in a different discipline because classics covers ancient lit, philosophy, history and religion, but at the same time I don't really see where I can go with my degree. I always thought I wanted to be a lecturer or teacher, but I am calling all of this in to doubt as I don't feel smart enough. I suppose I could try and transfer for my final year but then I wouldn't know the lecturer's they wouldn't know me and it could all go horribly wrong.

Are you good at your course? How do your academic skills fit what is required for Classics to what is needed for whatever other subject you would like to change to?When I apply myself I am very good, but when I get in a rut it's really hard to get out of. I have many transferable skills so am not really bothered about that, plus if I changed course I would be in 1st year again and then I would be able to learn all the skills required etc. But then a little bit of me thinks that maybe I should just enter into the world of work so that I don't put myself into more debt and therefore be able to sort finances out as well as work to what I want to be.

Do you hate where you are so much that you really must get out and go elsewhere to another Uni? In what part of the country? Or a campus-based style Uni or other? Any particular Uni's in mind that you'd like to go to?I hate Leeds, I really think it was a bad choice for me, I made loads of lovely friends but I really don't think it was the right choice for me. I was thinking of a uni closer to home, so down south as opposed to up north... Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham (I know it's in the middle but won't take me long to go home) Aberystwyth... uni's down south or in Wales.

How does your degree course relate to your future aspirations, career plans and employment prospects?See this is the thing... I don't really have my future aspirations worked out. I have been entertaining the idea of becoming a social worker or something where I am actively working for people's rights etc. Helping people... you know that type of thing. Before I decided I wanted to do classics I was going to be doing history and politics... I think I should have stuck to the politics side so am now thinking of social policy and politics or sociology and politics or something along those lines.

...And there are probably other questions to put to yourself too that hopefully other people replying to this thread will pick up on. :grouphugs:

Of which, I am sure that you are already well aware of, so as to ask these informed decisions from thinking about changes in the 1st place. It's obviously very important so it's also very important to dedicate the thinking time and space to this issue.:smile:

Well, what year of your degree are you in now? How many years does your degree last for? What have been your grades so far?My grades have been faily average, 2:2 first year, borderline 2:1 second year, that's my exams. I am yet to hand in essays. I am an external student after loads of family stuff took a major effect on uni. So I am an external 2 year student, which means I will be in my final year in 2009 making me 21 when I graduate. Or if I go through with my plans I could be 23 before I even graduate....

Also, just out of personal interest, but it could also help with the enquiries of this thread, what course(s) are you considering changing to/would you like to do instead?:smile:
Answered this further up :smile:

Take care :hugs: and sorry that I couldn't be more help!:o:

:wavey:

I have done all of my answers to your questions in Red, thank you so so much for taking the time to answer the thread so thoroughly :biggrin: :hugs:
Elements

They're required to you equal consideration so long as your application is made by January 15th, so this isn't really true. Submitting earlier could mean you are more likely to get an offer quickly, but submitting toward December/January isn't going to disadvantage you, it just means you need to wait longer.
Reply 4
Do not do Social Policy or Sociology. Trust me, they stink. If you're thinking seriously about going into social work, a degree in that would be far more appropriate anyway. I have no idea what they're like though, so I'm afraid I'm no help on that score.
Reply 5
I honestly don't know. My head hurts from all the thinking and decision making. How would I even apply via UCAS again? It was easier when I was in school, it was all sorted for me. I think this is just something that crossed my mind but won't actually happen. Everyone is trying to talk me out of it anyway.
Reply 6
georgia
Do not do Social Policy or Sociology. Trust me, they stink.

I was thinking of applying for social policy & sociology. What dont you like?
Reply 7
LO :)
I was thinking of applying for social policy & sociology. What dont you like?

Well I've come from doing Chemistry, Physics and French at A Level, and I've found the approach Sociology takes to be very woolly and incredibly frustrating whilst not being terribly interesting. However the department is fantastic - everyone I've met has been so lovely, and you can tell the lecturers do know what they're on about! People I've met on my course have mixed opinions - some love it (generally those who did Sociology A Level) and some hate it (generally those who didn't) although of course there's overlap etc. Mainly I'd just advise you to be totally sure you want to do Sociology - do lots of research on it beforehand - read Sociology a Global Introduction by Plummer and Marconis (I think that's them anyway) and have a look through Social Research Methods by Bryman and basically any other undergrad level texts you can get your hands on. You don't want to be in the position I'm in in a year's time which is having just withdrawn yesterday!
Reply 8
georgia
Well I've come from doing Chemistry, Physics and French at A Level, and I've found the approach Sociology takes to be very woolly and incredibly frustrating whilst not being terribly interesting. However the department is fantastic - everyone I've met has been so lovely, and you can tell the lecturers do know what they're on about! People I've met on my course have mixed opinions - some love it (generally those who did Sociology A Level) and some hate it (generally those who didn't) although of course there's overlap etc. Mainly I'd just advise you to be totally sure you want to do Sociology - do lots of research on it beforehand - read Sociology a Global Introduction by Plummer and Marconis (I think that's them anyway) and have a look through Social Research Methods by Bryman and basically any other undergrad level texts you can get your hands on. You don't want to be in the position I'm in in a year's time which is having just withdrawn yesterday!

I have just withdrawn from uni myself. I was doing Law and hated it so I'm reapplying for 2009 entry. I want to be sure I dont make the same mistake again though. I did Sociology at A Level so hopefully I'll enjoy it. Though I also did Law at A level too and thought I'd like it at Degree level but hated it. I'll try and get hold of some of those texts you've mentioned to give me a better idea, thanks for those. Good luck with reapplying :smile:
Reply 9
First off, unless you really don't think the course is for you there's not much point in dropping out. Various aspects of your degree might be kind of boring or challenging but that's the general nature of them. I considered dropping out in the 1st year, but got a 1st overall =)
Reply 10
I agree Wowza, dropping out should be the last resort, its a touch decision to make and not something you should rush into (well done on the first btw!). Though if you just know that your on the wrong degree course, why stay? In my case it was nothing to with it being challenging or boring. I wanted a challenge and didnt expect law to be easy, but now after eight weeks on the course I know even if I completed first year I wouldn't stay on for second and third. It makes sense for me to leave now.
Reply 11
The course isn't too challenging or hard etc. If anything it's quite easy. Doesn't stimulate my mind. There's a lot of back story as to how i ended up to leeds and doing this course but generally i now think it was completely the wrong thing to do. I suppose, instead of living in regret i want to change my ideas and have a shot at doing something i really enjoy. Who knows though. May as well just carry on and figure out what to do later.
Reply 12
Im doing sociology, and really want to change my course, it is really boring and to be honest way too easy! Plus its all a load of rubbish really!
Reply 13
yea, you can do that
Reply 14
kadie
Im doing sociology, and really want to change my course, it is really boring and to be honest way too easy! Plus its all a load of rubbish really!

Hey ditto! I'm going to reapply for Archaeology and possibly Ancient History. Hopefully there'll be much more to get my teeth into.
Reply 15
georgia
Hey ditto! I'm going to reapply for Archaeology and possibly Ancient History. Hopefully there'll be much more to get my teeth into.

Archeology is a real bore and rather mind numbing. Ancient history is good though. It's very intersting, but don't expect it to be that stimulating unless you're prepared to do the extra work and actually use your brain. You may also find that a lot of posser kids do the course and don't turn up etc. which generally spoils it. (I am doing classics atm)

Also figured, I am going to stick it out, I just loath the city, one more year hopefully won't get me down that much... hopefully. Plus I am quite excited about my dissertation.
Reply 16
kadie

I don't study sociology but have heard from students of the department that it can be a rather boring subject and a relatively unpopular choice. In my place, the entry requirements of Sociology is among the lowest as students are not keen on choosing this. The job prospects are less promising as others. Maybe the situation is quite similar in UK. Not an offence to sociology undergrads and I am sure they still get some fun out of it if they really like the subject. I don't think it is an easy one!
Reply 17
Hi, I am desperately in need of advice. I wanted to do Pharmacy (MPharm) at University.
I applied to the following Universities:

Kings College
Reading
Kent
Kingston
Hertfordshire

I successfully passed my Interviews and all 5 universities offered me a place for this year.

I choose reading as my firm and kingston as my insurance.
However I did poorly at my A levels this year and was unable to get the required grades to get in.

I went through clearing and managed to secure a place at London Met University , course: BioChemistry (Bsc).

I still want to do Pharmacy. My questions are what are my options and if i do well in my first year in BioChemistry, will I be able to transfer to another University doing Pharmacy degree.

If not, if I finish my BioChemistry degree and get a 2.1, will I be able to do a Pharmacy Master degree. And if I do, is it the same as doing a Undergraduate Pharmacy Degree.

Please Help!!!
Transfer to another uni depends on subjects studied. If the first your syllabus of your course at London Met. covers the requirements for second year in London Met. or another uni, and you did well you can transfer. However, if this is not the case, it may not be possible to transfer.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=208

Unfortunately, the above website suggests that you need to do the 4year programme MPharm to become qualified. However, you can do masters in MSc Pharmacology with the degree you are doing at the moment.

If you really want to be a pharmacist, you can take a year out to retake your a levels.
Original post by jasm2012
Hi, I am desperately in need of advice. I wanted to do Pharmacy (MPharm) at University.
I applied to the following Universities:

Kings College
Reading
Kent
Kingston
Hertfordshire

I successfully passed my Interviews and all 5 universities offered me a place for this year.

I choose reading as my firm and kingston as my insurance.
However I did poorly at my A levels this year and was unable to get the required grades to get in.

I went through clearing and managed to secure a place at London Met University , course: BioChemistry (Bsc).

I still want to do Pharmacy. My questions are what are my options and if i do well in my first year in BioChemistry, will I be able to transfer to another University doing Pharmacy degree.

If not, if I finish my BioChemistry degree and get a 2.1, will I be able to do a Pharmacy Master degree. And if I do, is it the same as doing a Undergraduate Pharmacy Degree.

Please Help!!!

As an addition to the above - your best bet if you don't want to take a year out may be to get a 2.1/1st and apply for first year entry on the courses you want to do. While it is not impossible, it is incredibly unlikely you will be able to transfer directly into the second year as the courses are different and, as such, your evidence of previous study won't stack up.

Source: I've transferred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending