The Student Room Group

Can i do a masters with a third class degree?

So i've just found out today that i got a third in my finance degree from the university of manchester, can't say its all anyone else's fault but mine, i just didn't try hard enough however i was so close to a 2:2 and know if i had put the effort in i would have probably been able to get a 2:1.
I was wondering if any business schools would accept me onto a masters course now as most of the one's i've looked at require a 2:1 minimum. It's not something i was considering doing before but now i've got this result i was hoping a masters would somewhat overshadow my undergrad result.
cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only thing i can say is try and apply... I know this might sound bad but start lower.. I applied to Royal Holloway and they gave me a conditional offer of a 2nd degree ( didn't say 2.2 or 2.1) so if they didn't meet their targets they might still give u an offer. There is no harm trying just cast your net wide and apply to as many as you can.
Reply 2
Probably not to be honest with you. If you had some outstanding internships and extracurricular activities, or had a reasonable excuse (injury/hospitalization), then you might stand a chance of getting into a 2:2 school. But I don't think these b-schools exist in Britain, or would result in a good paying job.
Reply 3
With much difficulty, I'm afraid. You can try, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Get some work experience in the field and then apply to the Masters with that behind you.
Reply 4
ashy
With much difficulty, I'm afraid. You can try, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Get some work experience in the field and then apply to the Masters with that behind you.

Quite right.
Are you sure that you'd be able to work harder than you have done so far? If you're just taking it to mask your undergrad degree (which it, sadly, won't do), maybe you're not going to be all that dedicated? If you are going to be very dedicated, then you can only try, but, really, I think that you may as well just enter the world of work.

Mind, finance would send me to sleep, too. :rofl:
I had come across few students who are doing masters in bolton uni and leed metropolitan uni.There is no chance for you to get admission in good uni However uni like east london, bolton will take you in.
Reply 7
The benchmark for masters programmes is normally a 2.1 or 2.2. You may find unis that will accept you, but they are probably few and far between. You would probably be better off getting some work experience and then applying later on, or try for a postgraduate diploma or certificate. If you do well on that, they may admit you for a masters.
Reply 8
Doubt it.

Go down the route of gaining extra experience.
Reply 9
I too am doubtful. With a 2:2 maybe at a lower tier (but not necessarily poorer) university, but you have to ask yourself what you're seeking to achieve. If you're looking to make up for your poor BA with an MA, the MA itself must be worth doing, and I question whether an MA from an institution which accepts you with a 3rd will do the job.

Times are hard for the graduates of 2009, especially in Finance related fields. The best (and even mediocre) employers now only entertain applications from those with significant experience (i.e. those made redundant from bankrupt companies), or graduates from the top institutions (Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham...etc).

Far be it for me to tell you what to do, but I would take a year out and try and secure 3 or 4 internships to build your CV. Good work experience is now one of the first things that employers look for - so it is on this area that you could now focus on to improve your chances of getting a job, rather than getting into more debt for a degree that won't do what you want it to.
Trying to disguise a bad BA with a good MA doesn't seem like a good reason to go through the pain of an MA. I hope you've got a better reason for doing graduate study because, from what I understand of what's involved, you'll need it to get through the course.

That said, it never hurts to try. You may find something. Or you can take a year to get some outstanding career experience and come back with that.
Some places might consider you, especially those that have a lower ranking.
Getting relevant work experience will give you a better chance.
Some universities - Lancaster if I remember correctly- specifically offer courses 'designed' for 2.2/3rd students.
If they need to fill the seats they will take you, as long as you don't expect funding you might as well apply all over.
FlyingIsis
Some universities - Lancaster if I remember correctly- specifically offer courses 'designed' for 2.2/3rd students.
If they need to fill the seats they will take you, as long as you don't expect funding you might as well apply all over.

I know UCLan do, I didn't think Lancaster did. Could be wrong though.
Reply 14
FlyingIsis

Very important point when it comes to applying with a 2:2 or a 3rd. My old supervisor said when i had concerns about me getting onto the masters at his uni said that it does'nt matter as they have places left and i'm paying for the fees. The uni was'nt the best but the course wanted a 2:1 which i did'nt have.
Oxbridge or Warwick/Manchester etc might be out of the question but with a 2:2/3rd it;s best to try your luck only really if your forking out the money not them.
Reply 15
This may sound a bit weird, but you may want to consider redoing the yr (or taking resits if their marks aren't capped). The reason being a 3rd isnt gonna get you in any uni worth going to. Plus, I doubt you'll land a decent job or internship with it. A 3rd class degree may be more of a liability than an asset. By redoing the yr you could get a (much) better mark and continue at a good uni.
Reply 16
jismith1989
Are you sure that you'd be able to work harder than you have done so far? If you're just taking it to mask your undergrad degree (which it, sadly, won't do), maybe you're not going to be all that dedicated? If you are going to be very dedicated, then you can only try, but, really, I think that you may as well just enter the world of work.

a little bit harsh to the OP don't you think? I know that most uni requirements is at least a 2:2 but if he's willing than i don't see the point why he should not enter. But have to agree that that go to the industry and get the best experience possible. Show them that you are dedicated and try to apply again to the masters program.
Reply 17
newman24x
a little bit harsh to the OP don't you think? I know that most uni requirements is at least a 2:2 but if he's willing than i don't see the point why he should not enter. But have to agree that that go to the industry and get the best experience possible. Show them that you are dedicated and try to apply again to the masters program.

Because he may not pass. MAs are marked more hashly and the cut-off point for a fail is a lot higher.
newman24x

Yes, it was supposed to be harsh, not to be nasty but realistic. After all, a third is, without meaning to be rude (as he seems to acknowledge this himself), a very low grade -- he may be able to perform much better, but, at present, we have only evidence to the contrary.
Reply 19
yeah, you can. depends on the uni. guy i met in manchester had a 3rd in his undergrad in physics and got accepted onto a masters at salford in environmental sciences.

your choices of uni might be more limited with a 3rd. but especially if you can show that you have other experiences, for example work experiences in a related field, or you are willinng to give a uni that might not currently be very popular a try, i don't think you'll have too much problems finding something. but you're going to have to be flexible in terms of location certainly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending