The Student Room Group

What Does Unlimited Data Mean!??!

Hey guys!! I am looking at contracts and the virgin mobile one says you get "unlimited data" and unlimited texts for some contracts £22 and over. See i'm like whoo cos that seems a good deal if "unlimited data" means unlimited internet, but some people are like hmm wouldn't trust that because that sounds a bit vague?? So does anyone know what this means? I tried looking it up but it's hard to find a definition for it!! PLEASE HELP!! Lol. Also, samsung tocco lite or lg cookie?? Thankyoou!!

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I'd be fairly sure that means unlimited internet - what else could it mean?
But if you're really not sure, just go into a virgin shop and ask.
Reply 2
There's no such thing as "unlimited data". There's always a limit, and usually a "fair use policy" which limits it.

It just means that you can go on the internet whenever you want. But not constantly downloading films or whatever.

Virgin do "unlimited" data for £18.
Reply 3
issih
Hey guys!! I am looking at contracts and the virgin mobile one says you get "unlimited data" and unlimited texts for some contracts £22 and over. See i'm like whoo cos that seems a good deal if "unlimited data" means unlimited internet, but some people are like hmm wouldn't trust that because that sounds a bit vague?? So does anyone know what this means? I tried looking it up but it's hard to find a definition for it!! PLEASE HELP!! Lol. Also, samsung tocco lite or lg cookie?? Thankyoou!!

Nothing is unlimited...

All our unlimited tariffs are subject to fair use policies.

And this is what they say about mobile internet

Unlimited Mobile Internet: Unlimited mobile internet is subject to a fair use allowance of 1GB per month. If your usage exceeds this amount then we reserve the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table. Unlimited use is within the UK and is for your personal, non-commercial use only. It doesn’t include making internet phone or video calls, peer to peer file sharing, using your phone as a modem, or while you are abroad and any of these uses will be charged at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table.

It wasn't really that hard to find...you just have to know where to look...
Reply 4
Indeed, I found this in the Legal Stuff - Our Fair Use Policies

Virgin Mobile
Unlimited Mobile Internet: Unlimited mobile internet is subject to a fair use allowance of 1GB per month. If your usage exceeds this amount then we reserve the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table. Unlimited use is within the UK and is for your personal, non-commercial use only. It doesn’t include making internet phone or video calls, peer to peer file sharing, using your phone as a modem, or while you are abroad and any of these uses will be charged at the per MB data rate for your tariff outlined in our Tariff Table.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=our.service.footer.sm068#Our%20Fair%20Use%20Policies

So you can download up to 1GB per month, which they reckon should be enough to browse the internet whenever you want. Just don't expect to be downloading big files.
Reply 5
I have the LG Cookie, it makes me suicidal.
Go for the Tocco.
Reply 6
i'm on three with unlimited internet, which in reality is 1gb per month according to their fair usage policy
Reply 7
Read your contract and it should tell you exactly what your "unlimited data" is capped at.
Original post by Fartlek
There's no such thing as "unlimited data". There's always a limit, and usually a "fair use policy" which limits it.

It just means that you can go on the internet whenever you want. But not constantly downloading films or whatever.

Virgin do "unlimited" data for £18.

The only exception to this is T-Mobile. They are the only provider who literally do unlimited data I.e. As much data for the same fixed rate
Original post by OddworldInhabitant

Original post by OddworldInhabitant
The only exception to this is T-Mobile. They are the only provider who literally do unlimited data I.e. As much data for the same fixed rate

The thread's almost two years old, odds are things have changed a bit since you bumped it...
Reply 10
Usually this means 1GB per month, occasionally 2. Someone pointed out that t-mobile do genuinely unlimited data - this is not strictly true. Their fair use policy is 1GB, but files and videos are capped at 500MB and if you do manage to transfer over 1GB they will slow your internet down for the rest of the month.
Original post by Them men.
You have unlimited access to the Internet

Old thread bud.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Old thread bud.

Nice
Lol
Reply 14
You have unlimited access to the Internet

Old thread bud.

Nice

Original post by YaliaV123
Lol

This was asked over a decade ago, and before tonight, was last answered nine years ago. Stop bumping old threads. :mad:
Original post by Mickey_
This was asked over a decade ago, and before tonight, was last answered nine years ago. Stop bumping old threads. :mad:

Yet you’re here doing the exact same thing...
Original post by Mickey_

Sorry
Reply 17
Yet you’re here doing the exact same thing...

Yet you're here doing the exact same thing... You see?
Original post by Mickey_

Please don’t be angry Mickey :frown: Have some chocolate 🍫
Original post by YaliaV123
Please don’t be angry Mickey :frown: Have some chocolate 🍫

Lolllllllll ffs🤣

Latest

Trending

Trending