The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
hi

i was thinking of choosing

maths, further Maths, physics, chemistry and ethics+philosophy

but as i am considering applying to medicine i was thinking of changing ethics+philosophy for biology

would 3 sciences and 2 maths be too much/ a bad combination?

also law is a possible degree i would like to study-would my lack of an essay subject hinder my application?

i hope to go to a top 10 uni for any course i apply to. my GCSE should be A*/A
i will also be studying the extended project over next summer-any advice appreciated

thanks in advance
Reply 221
A-level subjects (again)

hi

but as i am considering applying to medicine i was thinking of changing ethics+philosophy for biology

also law is a possible degree i would like to study-would my lack of an essay subject hinder my application?

i will also be studying the extended project over next summer-any advice appreciated

thanks in advance
please quote me if you reply to my queries
You need biology, chemistry and maths/physics for medicine.
andy2494
hi

thanks in advance

Most medical schools require biology which means they won't want you if you don't have it so you won't get in. Change philosophy & ethics to biology. You will still be able to get into law with all science and maths subjects, many people do this successfully.
Why not do biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and philosophy?
Reply 225
You should seriously think about what career you want to do as it would be hard to reach a satisfying compromise between the subjects needed for medicine and those needed for law. Also do you prefer maths/science or essay subjects like english/history? Maybe you could swap further maths for biology as FM isn't really needed for law or medicine.
Reply 226
star_5
You should seriously think about what career you want to do as it would be hard to reach a satisfying compromise between the subjects needed for medicine and those needed for law. Also do you prefer maths/science or essay subjects like english/history? Maybe you could swap further maths for biology as FM isn't really needed for law or medicine.

i do prefer science subjects in general
but i do not dislike writing essays-english i dislike not for the essays but the content

i cannot drop further maths for biology as i take further maths instead of general studies not as one of my a-level subjects

thaniks for your help-any more thoughts?
Reply 227
LittleMissCurious
Why not do biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and philosophy?

i really like physics so i want to be able to take that

*also it is ethics and philosophy not just philosophy
andy2494

Well then I guess you don't have to do ethics & philosophy, there are plenty of people who get into Oxbridge to study Law with all science subjects :smile: So go ahead and do biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and physics :smile:
Reply 229
andy2494
i do prefer science subjects in general
but i do not dislike writing essays-english i dislike not for the essays but the content

i cannot drop further maths for biology as i take further maths instead of general studies not as one of my a-level subjects

thaniks for your help-any more thoughts?

Take history? I have no doubt that with subjects like chemistry and further maths you would get into a law course, my worry is that you would not feel as comfortable or proficient at essay-writing and analysing text as your fellow students who have studied subjects like english and history. And if you are even considering medicine, take biology, instead of physics.
andy2494

It depends which exam board your school uses. If you're on AQA then it's just philosophy. If you're on OCR then it's philosophy and ethics with half being philosophy modules and half being ethics modules. However, if you're on OCR you will do the philosophy and ethics modules but your actual AS and A2 will be called 'Religious Studies' after certification.
Reply 231
I would switch business studies to further maths. If you don't want/can't handle that much maths then switch it to economics. I recommend further maths as computer science is a very mathematical degree so further maths will improve your application. I then recommend economics as a more respected alternative to business studies.
Have you considered studying Further Maths instead of Business Studies?
Reply 233
Duckzilla
It depends which exam board your school uses. If you're on AQA then it's just philosophy. If you're on OCR then it's philosophy and ethics with half being philosophy modules and half being ethics modules. However, if you're on OCR you will do the philosophy and ethics modules but your actual AS and A2 will be called 'Religious Studies' after certification.

that is really helpful actually
i was wondering if ethics+philosophy is considered to be RS/philosophy
thanks for that

i know in the booklet they gave us on it(in my school) it said:
unit 1: ethics
unit 2: philosophy

unit 3: ethics
unit 4: philosophy

it is all exam based

do you know which exam board this would be? (the teachers didn't tell us when explaining the subject)

thanks a lot
Reply 234
LittleMissCurious
Well then I guess you don't have to do ethics & philosophy, there are plenty of people who get into Oxbridge to study Law with all science subjects :smile: So go ahead and do biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and physics :smile:

thanks for the advice-you don't think 3 sciences would be too much work/not a broad enough subject combination then?
andy2494
that is really helpful actually
i was wondering if ethics+philosophy is considered to be RS/philosophy
thanks for that

i know in the booklet they gave us on it(in my school) it said:
unit 1: ethics
unit 2: philosophy

unit 3: ethics
unit 4: philosophy

it is all exam based

do you know which exam board this would be? (the teachers didn't tell us when explaining the subject)

thanks a lot

Your exam board is OCR. You will do the philosophy and ethics modules and be exposed to all the ethics and philosophy content, but after you have taken the AS and A2 exams, your AS and A2 will be called 'Religious Studies' not 'Philosophy and Ethics'.

It is called religious studies because on OCR a school or student can mix philosophy and ethics modules with modules about religion such as there are entire modules devoted to Christianity and Islam for example, so a school could could do two philosophy modules, an Islam module and a Christianity module and get the religious studies A-level. For this reason, even if you only do the philosophy and ethics modules your A-level will always be called Religious studies.

Check out the OCR website for the specification and past papers:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gce/hss/rs/index.html
All science/maths subjects is fine for both Law and Medicine as far as I know.
Reply 237
Duckzilla
Your exam board is OCR. You will do the philosophy and ethics modules and be exposed to all the ethics and philosophy content, but after you have taken the AS and A2 exams, your AS and A2 will be called 'Religious Studies' not 'Philosophy and Ethics'.

It is called religious studies because on OCR a school or student can mix philosophy and ethics modules with modules about religion such as there are entire modules devoted to Christianity and Islam for example, so a school could could do two philosophy modules, an Islam module and a Christianity module and get the religious studies A-level. For this reason, even if you only do the philosophy and ethics modules your A-level will always be called Religious studies.

Check out the OCR wesbsite for the specification and past papers:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gce/hss/rs/index.html

thanks a lot-i'm impressed you knew which one it was!

that does help me with my decision-i know it isn't an obscure subject now
Reply 238
Thanks guys =) Much appreciated. I think I'm less confused about my subjects now :biggrin: I would definitely try my best to get into a good uni =) Thanks again
orca92
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Feel Stupid?

Economics and business is more unrespected as it is more vocational than straight economics.

Oh wow. Your using Cambridge as an example... Jesus christ man... In NORMAL universities, there isn't, or there shoulden't be, any difference in respect for either Geography or Economics and Business.

Latest