The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Hysteria
Arh! There is so much I want to respond to here, but I have to get ready to meet some friends to go out in central London ... I shall respond to this tomorrow - but you do sound rather hysterical ! But I have debated you before, and you're easy to bend :smile:

That's hardly hysterical....

Have fun. :smile:
Ben Ali's called a state of emergency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

It's beautiful.
Reply 42
Original post by Stalin
Ben Ali's called a state of emergency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

It's beautiful.

Think there will be a change?

Why does the West support this guy? The French sectary of state (or someone high in government) said French Riot police could be sent in to help put down the riots.
Original post by Aj12
Think there will be a change?

Why does the West support this guy? The French sectary of state (or someone high in government) said French Riot police could be sent in to help put down the riots.

Unfortunately, I don't have my crystal ball with me at the minute, but I certainly hope so.

In short, the French--and I say this without bias as I'm currently living in France--still have trouble believing that the French Empire ended. The government continues to conduct its foreign affairs like it did when it had its Empire, that is to say by centralising the authority in its ex-colonies. So, in essence, the ex-colonies have now become companies, the French government installs and funds a dictator--who acts as the CEO--in order to promote trade. The government receives the resources from the ex-colonies and the ex-colonies--or dictators rather--receive military technology (French-made of course) and infrastructure (which is also French-made).

The government conducted its foreign policy very similarly with Saddam Hussein, which is why they threatened to veto a second UN resolution against his regime.

I'd vote for Cameron in the next election if he sent the British force in Cyprus to Tunisia in order to help the people oust the tyrant.
Brilliant :woo: Great example of people power.
Well done, Tunisia!

And **** Mohammed Ghannouchi, he's no different than Ben Ali.
Reply 46
haha I just read an article in the Economist on Tunisia. It said along the lines of it being very unlikely he would step down.
Tunisians mean srs business. When stuff like this happens, it would be nice to see the army refusing to back the politicians then it'd leave them completely powerless.
Original post by Stalin
Well done, Tunisia!

And **** Mohammed Ghannouchi, he's no different than Ben Ali.

Well hopefully he'll realise that he cant just keep the status quo any longer.
Reply 49

No point having and continuously brainwashing your army if they aren't going to be there for the worst of times.

What's wrong with that guy? He needs therapy, why are the Italian people putting their trust in a guy like this? Not clued up on italian politics, what major things has he done for them?
They like him because he's a personality and in touch with Italian people. He's also chairman of AC Milan remember and used to be a media mogul, the most powerful in Italy before becoming PM so he definitely knows how to manipulate the press. He is starting to receive more widespread criticism now that he's making error after error.
Original post by sandys1000
Well hopefully he'll realise that he cant just keep the status quo any longer.

A revolution's pointless if the the President is ousted by his PM is left in charge.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54

Fair play though, she is stunning.
Original post by Stalin

Original post by Stalin
A revolution's pointless if the the President is ousted by his PM is left in charge.

There's going to be a re-election in 6 months isn't there? He's just playing the Dalglish role atm.
Reply 56
Original post by adam_zed
Fair play though, she is stunning.

And underage :eek:
Reply 57
Original post by Aj12

by my standards, 17 is safe ground!
Original post by CombineHarvester
There's going to be a re-election in 6 months isn't there? He's just playing the Dalglish role atm.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

He's promised that there'll be a re-election in six months time? And you trust him? People have died fighting Ben Ali's mob in order to free the country and this is what they've been given? A pinky promise?

I sincerely hope they don't accept this utter nonsense of an offer and continue to stage their protests. The country is theirs for the taking and it would be a great shame if they stopped so close to the goal line.
Original post by Aj12

And a prostitute who more than likely has aids. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest