The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by HeatherJarvo
ooh, i love the film! is the film based on the book, or is it a book based on the film? who's it by?

The film is based on the book, but I personally find the film more interesting because the characters are much more developed (of course, the film-makers added some things of their own).
For example, Lisa. She's quite an obscure figure in the book, almost marginal. But Angelina Jolie's performance made her practically the centre of the whole film. Such a mighty slim sociopath!
On the other hand, Susanna's inner world is definitely more gripping in the book (the ending was really touching whereas at this point the film ending failed :s-smilie:)

P.S. The book's author is Susanna Kaysen.
Reply 41
My sister's keeper....Jodi Picoult
One Day - David Nicholls :smile:
Reply 43
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Reply 44
We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
Original post by Raminta
The film is based on the book, but I personally find the film more interesting because the characters are much more developed (of course, the film-makers added some things of their own).
For example, Lisa. She's quite an obscure figure in the book, almost marginal. But Angelina Jolie's performance made her practically the centre of the whole film. Such a mighty slim sociopath!
On the other hand, Susanna's inner world is definitely more gripping in the book (the ending was really touching whereas at this point the film ending failed :s-smilie:)

P.S. The book's author is Susanna Kaysen.

sounds good, thanks for that. I'll have a look to see if i can get in on my lovely kindle! have you read one flew over the cuckoo's nest? Again, the film's based on the book, and they're similary but not quite the same. worth a read xx
Reply 46
Original post by Kieran?
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Masterpiece.
Unfortunately,

Just finished Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith as soon as it was delivered, really good thriller. Unfortunately I've already read the one that comes after it too recently so I can't make it into a proper little marathon. :frown:
Oliver Twist
I actually really do like it! It's the first Dicken's book I have read and it came as a pleasant suprise that the writing isn't archaic at all, like most people had told me.
the Qur'an
Al Murray - The Pub Landlord's Book of British Common Sense. :biggrin:
Reply 52
Cold War - Gaddis

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

One Day by David Nicholls

I'm feeling romantic summer reads. Forgive me, I just finished Taming of the Shrew and needed to scrub off that hilarious misogyny.

:')
The Amber Spyglass
You're never too old for anything Pullman :colone:
Reply 55
Original post by JK471993
Cold War - Gaddis

Just started reading it the other day. Only a third of the way through but I'm not enjoying it too much due to the fact it's too brief. To be fair, I should've expected it from when he explained the difficulty of summarising the Cold War in under 300 pages. Determined to finish it though since it will be a nice recap from A2 History.

In addition, reading Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell.
Nature Vs Nurture

and

Black Hawk Down.
Reply 57
I've just read "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson and now I'm reading "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert :smile:
Reply 58
Kiss of evil - Richard Montanari

The weirdest book I've ever read :l
Reply 59
Original post by velocet
Just started reading it the other day. Only a third of the way through but I'm not enjoying it too much due to the fact it's too brief. To be fair, I should've expected it from when he explained the difficulty of summarising the Cold War in under 300 pages. Determined to finish it though since it will be a nice recap from A2 History.

In addition, reading Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell.

I totally agree but I guess at A2 you don't want every statistic concerning every event. Analytically, the book is one of the strongest I've read about the Cold War. So many Cold War books are large but don't contain the analysis that Gaddis forms. I find that his analogies with tigers etc. really do help as well!

Quick Reply

Latest