The Student Room Group

Work Experience placements for Physiotherapy?

I'm finding it really difficult to find and placements, I've looked everywhere (Well, Wolverhampton) and they won't accept anyone because of how the NHS is changing or something.
Does anyone know what else i could do as work experience?
I've already found a placement but it's not Physio, it's just following an activity Manager around a nursing home (I suppose i gain social skills, but i don't do anything!) and that probably won't get me anywhere since all the universities want a lot of work experience :/

(Sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong forum, i'm a complete noob on here)
Reply 1
Hey ok well lots of unis are quite sympathetic about it being so difficult to get work experience! But here are a few ideas: try private physio clinics although unis prefer nhs any work experience is good!! Try looker at a slightly wider area neighbouring towns etc sorry don't know how big wolverhampton is! Another idea is a scheme called vitalise which do holidays which they need volunteers for or similarly see if there is a disabled playscheme that runs near you. I did the playscheme and it was so much fun! Are there any special centres near you like an MS centre that you could try too?You could always try your council as lots of physios work in the community. Also it's not necessarily the quantity of work experience that matters but more what you learn from it and how you talk about it in your personal statement. Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions.
Reply 2
Original post by *Gee*

Original post by *Gee*
Hey ok well lots of unis are quite sympathetic about it being so difficult to get work experience! But here are a few ideas: try private physio clinics although unis prefer nhs any work experience is good!! Try looker at a slightly wider area neighbouring towns etc sorry don't know how big wolverhampton is! Another idea is a scheme called vitalise which do holidays which they need volunteers for or similarly see if there is a disabled playscheme that runs near you. I did the playscheme and it was so much fun! Are there any special centres near you like an MS centre that you could try too?You could always try your council as lots of physios work in the community. Also it's not necessarily the quantity of work experience that matters but more what you learn from it and how you talk about it in your personal statement. Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you so much! I've registered for the Vitalise thing and i'll try the MS centre here and the playschemes... i seriously could marry you.
Reply 3
Original post by xChrista
Thank you so much! I've registered for the Vitalise thing and i'll try the MS centre here and the playschemes... i seriously could marry you.

Glad I could help!!!!
Original post by xChrista
I'm finding it really difficult to find and placements, I've looked everywhere (Well, Wolverhampton) and they won't accept anyone because of how the NHS is changing or something.
Does anyone know what else i could do as work experience?
I've already found a placement but it's not Physio, it's just following an activity Manager around a nursing home (I suppose i gain social skills, but i don't do anything!) and that probably won't get me anywhere since all the universities want a lot of work experience :/

(Sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong forum, i'm a complete noob on here)

As long as you try and get work experience with relevant client groups, universities will accept it. Have you tried contacting any private physiotherapists, as they won't have the same policy restraints as NHS practitioners?
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
As long as you try and get work experience with relevant client groups, universities will accept it. Have you tried contacting any private physiotherapists, as they won't have the same policy restraints as NHS practitioners?

I've tried a couple of them but they said they don't take anyone on, but i'm gonna look for more later and see if they'll let me

Quick Reply

Latest