On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton FAQs - Please Read Before Posting Another Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tooosh
Can you change your payment method for halls? My offer will go soon and my student account isn't set up yet (Co-op taking the piss) so I'm thinking of just putting my mum's credit card down and setting up a direct debit when I get my account details, is this allowed? You mentioned that you can change the card but nothing about changing the actual method :confused:

Also you can choose options by going on sussed, the resources tab, your personal information and then optional module choice.

Yes, you can. As the amount won't be deducted until the first instalment in October.

Ah, thank you! *added to FAQ*
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by unamed

Original post by unamed
Yes, you can. As the amount won't be deducted until the first instalment in October.

Ah, thank you! *added to FAQ*

Is there any way to see what method you provided. I can't remember as I have a couple of accounts and obviously need to make sure I leave the money in the right place to be taken.
Reply 22
Original post by alibee
Is there any way to see what method you provided. I can't remember as I have a couple of accounts and obviously need to make sure I leave the money in the right place to be taken.

Really useful that the confirmation email doesn't say. Suggest you phone the Student Services Centre to clarify.
Reply 23
Original post by alibee

As glf2110 said, phone up SSC or email them.
does Southampton send out acknowledgement letters to applicants?
Reply 25
If i remember rightly they did, but not 100%
Original post by fox1993
If i remember rightly they did, but not 100%

thanks! do they give unconditional offers?
Reply 27
yh they do but you have to have the entry requirement first before they give u an unconditional offer
Reply 28
Original post by desy.kris
thanks! do they give unconditional offers?

Original post by fox1993
yh they do but you have to have the entry requirement first before they give u an unconditional offer

And subject to interview, satisfactory CRB and Occupational Health etc.
Original post by fox1993

Original post by glf2110
And subject to interview, satisfactory CRB and Occupational Health etc.

okay.. thanks guys. do they interview international applicants though? :/
Reply 30

It depends on your course - if it's Medicine, yes, if not, no. (Or at the discretion of the department, ECS doesn't.)
Original post by unamed
It depends on your course - if it's Medicine, yes, if not, no. (Or at the discretion of the department, ECS doesn't.)

ah I think my department is called ECS... I'm applying for Computer Science :biggrin:
Reply 32
ah I think my department is called ECS... I'm applying for Computer Science :biggrin:

Yep, that's ECS. :biggrin: You'll love it, I'm sure.
Original post by unamed
Yep, that's ECS. :biggrin: You'll love it, I'm sure.

I guess so! are you in a similar course with what I'm applying for? how do you like it there?
Reply 34

Our conditions were for Nursing courses. Yours will be different.
Reply 35
I guess so! are you in a similar course with what I'm applying for? how do you like it there?

I'm doing electronic engineering. `
I love it, and I'm sure you will too.
Reply 36

Just a little tip, they say they'll teach you from scratch and they assume everyone starts out knowing nothing but that's not true. The people I know with no programming experience are struggling quite a bit, so even if it's learning something like Visual Basic, get some programming experience!
If I were you I'd just jump straight into learning Java. Whatever you choose, there's a lot of resources on the net.
Original post by tooosh
Just a little tip, they say they'll teach you from scratch and they assume everyone starts out knowing nothing but that's not true. The people I know with no programming experience are struggling quite a bit, so even if it's learning something like Visual Basic, get some programming experience!
If I were you I'd just jump straight into learning Java. Whatever you choose, there's a lot of resources on the net.

thanks for the tips, I'm already familiar with VB :smile: I learnt it for a year in middle school, and self taught it further last summer break. I don't dare self teaching Java though haha because people say it's difficult! :frown: and I really don't have the time for it :/ ugh I wish I wasn't in IB...

Quick Reply