The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

No. Only because I am not that bothered about them

Yes. They generate and contribute to GDP in the UK economy. i.e. Tourist attraction.
Also, imagine the UK without a monarchy? They are part of history.
I'd vote no to having a monarchy only because I think I'd like to see Europe become a federal state one day.
Reply 42
Original post by freedom1
I want the ability to vote for my head of state. We send our air force and army to Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq etc so they can vote for their head of state, well why shouldn't we?

Hmm, I think we send them over so they could have the freedom to choose their own system of government, sure. Whether it's exclusively republican or not is another question. The King of Afghanistan was almost restored when the Taliban fell, but the Americans vetoed it.
Original post by thetobbit
No

They're a waste of time and yes they generate money through tourism, do you see them selling all their jewels and gold to give to charity?

They're inbred and should be gotten rid off along with all other members of the ruling class who live in luxury while others suffer. "But at least their nice to look at"

Yes they live in luxury, but there's only a few of them so it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 44
I thought democracy was a pretty much accepted principle in the west? Why this is still a debate is beyond me...
Reply 45
Original post by Pink Liquid

Yes. They generate and contribute to GDP in the UK economy. i.e. Tourist attraction.

Slavery and genocide are part of the UK's history - should we rehabilitate them?
Reply 46
Original post by gladders
Hmm, I think we send them over so they could have the freedom to choose their own system of government, sure. Whether it's exclusively republican or not is another question. The King of Afghanistan was almost restored when the Taliban fell, but the Americans vetoed it.

The only reason people are pro monarchy in the UK is because of the propaganda being churned out by our media. I hope this country enjoys generations of brain drain, while the most gifted people leave our country in search for somewhere more free.
Reply 47
The only reason people are pro monarchy in the UK is because of the propaganda being churned out by our media. I hope this country enjoys generations of brain drain, while the most gifted people leave our country in search for somewhere more free.

'More free'? :s-smilie:

Please give evidence of people emigrating from the UK as a direct result of the oppressive policies of the monarchy.
Yes.
Reply 49
Original post by gladders
'More free'? :s-smilie:

Please give evidence of people emigrating from the UK as a direct result of the oppressive policies of the monarchy.

What have oppressive policies got to do with anything? it is about the idea of freedom not to escape tyranny.
Reply 50
Simply: yes.
Original post by Acerbic
I thought democracy was a pretty much accepted principle in the west? Why this is still a debate is beyond me...

This is a debate about monarchy not democracy though?

What have oppressive policies got to do with anything? it is about the idea of freedom not to escape tyranny.

What is unfree about a constitution monarchy? What freedoms have I lost by having a sovereign, who a clear majority of my fellow citizens approve of?
Reply 52
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist

Are you really so dense?
Reply 53
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist

What is unfree about a constitution monarchy? What freedoms have I lost by having a sovereign, who a clear majority of my fellow citizens approve of?

You do not have the freedom to elect your head of state
Original post by Jimbo1234
If you get rid of the monarchy what is left of England?
What is left of our culture?

Define culture.

Would culture and tradition be vital if our society was more fair and equal?

Considering the huge amounts of immigration and emigration etc over the years, I doubt we can really call ourselves "British" or "French." Nationality is a made-up concept.
Original post by Pink Liquid

Imagine Russia or France without a monarchy. Not so hard is it? Why is it any different for Britain?

Also, saying British history and tradition must be upheld is kinda irrelevant considering we now have a parliament etc --> the monarchy of modern times in Britain are simply figureheads with no real power in reality
As long as we have nation-states, including the United Kingdom, I see little reason to do away with such an integral part of ours as the monarchy, and even if we do as a species manage to move beyond the concept some day as we continue to better ourselves I would hope that we would have the technology available to create a true, direct democracy through the internet (or a successor to it) or a neural network or some such thing rather than invest our hopes for democracy in a bunch of corrupt plutocratic demagogues as republics have done in the present day. Essentially, I see modern constitutional monarchies and republics as about the same in terms of democratic credentials, and there's no point changing from one to the other against our traditions until something radically better comes along.
Original post by thetobbit
Define culture.

Would culture and tradition be vital if our society was more fair and equal?

Considering the huge amounts of immigration and emigration etc over the years, I doubt we can really call ourselves "British" or "French." Nationality is a made-up concept.

:facepalm:

If someone asked you " What does it mean to be English?", what would you say? The monarchy is the last thing we have left before we have no identity and only negative traits would describe this place.
Reply 58
I don't get why everybody thinks that we need a monarchy? I mean I guess their argument is that it would bring tourism, but nobody will go to england just because of the queen and france and germany are doing perfectly fine without one. I know I'm sounding a bit extreme but everything the queen does, our government can do and she just gets money for hardly doing anything
Original post by Jimbo1234
:facepalm:

If someone asked you " What does it mean to be English?", what would you say? The monarchy is the last thing we have left before we have no identity and only negative traits would describe this place.

The onlookers who use the British monarchy as an example of a "good thing" about Britain are obviously a bit air-headed and thus this is not worthy of mention.

Quick Reply

Latest