The Student Room Group

Business Msc in London! help needed!

ok mates, ive been following this and other threads about london colleges and I may be kinda confused right now.

im from brazil and been applying to some business/marketing related masters but i got rejected from 2 or 3 by now. what may be going wrong?

i dont actually know how the english grades work (A levels ucas etc...) so could anyone explain it to me. Here we just take a 0 - 10 mark and evaluate your final grade. i have a 8,33/10 mark overall...so is it bad? what would be the similar in english?

i must remeber that i applied for UCL, imperial, Kings and mainly the first 2 had not any luck. i have a good PS (think so), important recommendations (academic - professional), a year of work experince, my grades, IELTS with 7,5...

what might be the problem? my grades should be better there?

i have this only KCL offer but it stills conditional since they require IELTS with 7 overal and 7 in each....i have 7,5 with 6...wouldnt they consider the case?
im going to try until i pass but its expensive (US 250) and ive seen that my english would be enough for any other school....

dont want to have just one option, even knowing its better than nothing....
but dont know any other good london business schools?? where would you suggest?? been lookin around (henley, european business school) but nothing got really my attention...

anyway thanks
Reply 1
So from what I understand you applied at UCL for MSc in Management and Imperial for MSc in Strategic Marketing?

Could you please tell me what did you studied in your first degree?

For the classification you can see from different universities websites what are the entry requirements for students from Brazil.
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/international/countries/brazil/index.html This is for Queen Mary..
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/yourcountry/brazil/info.aspx This is for Kings College

Good Luck !!
Reply 2
Original post by zziippoo
So from what I understand you applied at UCL for MSc in Management and Imperial for MSc in Strategic Marketing?

Could you please tell me what did you studied in your first degree?

For the classification you can see from different universities websites what are the entry requirements for students from Brazil.
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/international/countries/brazil/index.html This is for Queen Mary..
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/yourcountry/brazil/info.aspx This is for Kings College

Good Luck !!

thanks mate...

im finishing up my International Relations Degree, but as you can see havent been so lucky...

do you think queen mary is a good school/has a good course??im sayin that cos is really an effort moving away and study abroad. should be somthing meaningful.

maybe the IR path is a problem??
Reply 3
I went to Henley and loved it! So did my friends : ) Top 1% global, great facilities and lecturers and programme - good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by gradman85
I went to Henley and loved it! So did my friends : ) Top 1% global, great facilities and lecturers and programme - good luck!

yeah i liked the course structure and all, but the problem seems coming back and forth through london - reading! ive noticed the train though not taking much time would cost me 50 pounds per day.... is it correct?
Reply 5
what about the london - reading travel daily?? acceptable? are my thought about spents right?
Reply 6
You can afford ÂŁ50 a day on travel???? Don't bother with a masters! Invest that money!

Just live in Reading - you'll get sick of commuting very very quickly.

Why do international students love QM so much? It is a top 40% university at best (in general - don't know about the specific score).

I don't know exactly how grades translate but the system in the UK is:

16-18 years old you study A-levels and get a aggregate UCAS score at the end of it which gets you into university.
At university you are given percentages on your exams, courseworks, midterms etc. These percentages are graded within boundaries of (usually): 70%+ = First, 60-69% = 2.1, 59-50% = 2.2.

So you may be on for a first? And at 83% a very good first at that. It must be something to do with your statement.

King's is great though. Why London specifically? Is the rest of England so bad :P
Reply 7
Original post by _Student_
You can afford ÂŁ50 a day on travel???? Don't bother with a masters! Invest that money!

Just live in Reading - you'll get sick of commuting very very quickly.

Why do international students love QM so much? It is a top 40% university at best (in general - don't know about the specific score).

I don't know exactly how grades translate but the system in the UK is:

16-18 years old you study A-levels and get a aggregate UCAS score at the end of it which gets you into university.
At university you are given percentages on your exams, courseworks, midterms etc. These percentages are graded within boundaries of (usually): 70%+ = First, 60-69% = 2.1, 59-50% = 2.2.

So you may be on for a first? And at 83% a very good first at that. It must be something to do with your statement.

King's is great though. Why London specifically? Is the rest of England so bad :P

hi mate...no i cannot afford 50$ a day... thats why i hoped my toughts about prices were wrong haha!

QM wasnt my first option, but since i didnt get into the other ones...
really wanted UCL and imperial but alright, dont need the BEST school if i can find a good programme, structure and perspective

you say its noot that good, but do you know any info about post graduation employment?

do u have any other suggestion?? for management related programs in london

London is my only choice cos my sister lives there,so gonna have her support. but have been there before and love big cities.... would be great for networking as well i guess...

cheers
Reply 8
up
Reply 9
Did u try CASS B School ?
Reply 10
Original post by 7dna
Did u try CASS B School ?

unfortunately they require GMAT
Original post by dandefilippo
unfortunately they require GMAT

You should take the GMAT
Reply 12
im not prepared mate. i come from non business course and would have to take months to get a reasonable mark.

thats not excuse, i know, but i need to take advantage of the fact that my parents can support me now overseas.

if i study at queen mary, i wouldnt be able to get a good job??
Reply 13
I agree with taking GMAT, best way to show skills.

Surprised no-one has mentioned London Business School - got rated no. 1 in the world for past few years by financial times, think it's no. 4 now.
Reply 14
I just had a look at the requirements for Imperial MSc Management.

It says, you should have a First or 2:1 to apply.

Maybe it would be good to go back to your application essays and see what your unique selling point is.

My old manager had a BSc Management degree and is doing fine.

Henley is now part of Reading Uni. I believe that the new business campus is actually located in the main Reading Uni campus (Whiteknights).

If I had a choice, I would choose Henley > Kings. I wanted to apply to Henley Full time MBA, but Imperial gave me an offer first. I went to Reading Uni for Computer Science undergrad, the campus is quite nice, lots of after school activities (and not so far from London).
Reply 15
Original post by Alex_K123
I agree with taking GMAT, best way to show skills.

Surprised no-one has mentioned London Business School - got rated no. 1 in the world for past few years by financial times, think it's no. 4 now.

Post experience only.
Reply 16
Original post by _Student_
Post experience only.

Not always, that is the case for the MBA but they have a Masters In Management course for those without experience or less than 1 yr.
http://www.london.edu/programmes/mastersinmanagement.html
Reply 17
Original post by Frozenace
I just had a look at the requirements for Imperial MSc Management.

It says, you should have a First or 2:1 to apply.

Maybe it would be good to go back to your application essays and see what your unique selling point is.

My old manager had a BSc Management degree and is doing fine.

Henley is now part of Reading Uni. I believe that the new business campus is actually located in the main Reading Uni campus (Whiteknights).

If I had a choice, I would choose Henley > Kings. I wanted to apply to Henley Full time MBA, but Imperial gave me an offer first. I went to Reading Uni for Computer Science undergrad, the campus is quite nice, lots of after school activities (and not so far from London).

thanks for the tought...but im at a crossroad now...lse just accepted me for a complety different course (applied long time ago): global politics

i really want to get into business, but dont know if i can let such opportunity go... what do you think?

im gonna try my next IELTS 29th, we'll see. i still have hope I can pass this writing stuff... but seriously...henlet better then kings?
Reply 18
If you've already got a conditional offer from Kings, then just do the IELTS and negotiate with the school afterwards. Nothing is set in stone.

I would probably go to LSE, but not to do Global Politics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest