The Student Room Group

How hard is it to do 5 A-Levels?

I really want to do Psychology, French, English and History for AS level. But then I also want to do Photography as well... How hard would this be to do? Thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I did 5 and it wasn't too hard. There isn't much point though because photography is not going to help you get into unis, you should do it as a hobby instead.
Depends on the individual, but it's not recommended for good reasons.

Top universities like to see 3 A-levels + an AS. Extra a-levels won't enhance your application significantly. Since your extra subject is photography, could you not just enjoy it outside the curriculum? Then you'd have something to put on your personal statement as extra-curricular?
Reply 3
I wouldn't advise you to do photography..... universities don't like it....:s-smilie:
Reply 4
These A levels seem alright to handle. All the people at my school say photography isn't that hard at A Level and is quite fun.
Reply 5
Original post by mollyd
I really want to do Psychology, French, English and History for AS level. But then I also want to do Photography as well... How hard would this be to do? Thankyou :smile:

I think with that combination don't. It doesn't matter whether unis will like photography or not, all I know is that a coursework based subject is too hard to take as a 5th alevel (I tried this last year with Maths, Physics, Further Maths, French and Art) and as a result my maths results suffered. I mean it's not impossible but your other subjects will require time too, so you'll be putting yourself under a lot of stress

but talk to your teachers and see if they think you are capable...
Reply 6
Original post by mollyd

Be careful about it, I personally wouldn't recommend it, as I know a few friends of mine have had the enjoyment they gained from photography, completely sucked out by the course. I considered taking it alongside my science-orientated subjects, but decided against it, as it would just take up my study periods with lessons, when I could just get out there and do it outside of college.
I could do 5 A levels while asleep. And not even with subjects like photography or media studies.
Reply 8
Original post by Sternumator
I did 5 and it wasn't too hard. There isn't much point though because photography is not going to help you get into unis, you should do it as a hobby instead.

I would only do photography for the first year, and I want to do it because I enjoy it and I couldn't do it this year.
Reply 9
Original post by Onewingedangel
I could do 5 A levels while asleep. And not even with subjects like photography or media studies.

Quite the athlete.
Original post by KLW
I think with that combination don't. It doesn't matter whether unis will like photography or not, all I know is that a coursework based subject is too hard to take as a 5th alevel (I tried this last year with Maths, Physics, Further Maths, French and Art) and as a result my maths results suffered. I mean it's not impossible but your other subjects will require time too, so you'll be putting yourself under a lot of stress

but talk to your teachers and see if they think you are capable...

but Photography,would be studied in his free time,so no extra pressure.

4 AS Levels-Work +Photography Recreation
4 AS Levels-Work+Photography Recreation(AS Level)

You should use your recreation to get an enjoyable AS and since you enjoy it,a high grade.This would up your 3 A-Level performance and 5 AS Levels,all at good grades,will put you ahead of someone with 4 and the same grades.
Reply 11
I'm thinking of doing 5 A Levels.

Chemistry Biology Maths and Further Maths

Physics in AS and French in AS (over the course of 2 years).
Original post by mollyd
I would only do photography for the first year, and I want to do it because I enjoy it and I couldn't do it this year.

Yes, but keep in mind that you apply to university after your first year.
Do it if you want to, by all means! I did 5 AS levels (no "soft" options, either) and I didn't find it too difficult, but then I literally *scraped* As in 4 of them. I do honestly think that if I only took 4 to start off with, I'd have had higher As in them and wouldn't have had to resit a lot of the AS exams in order to have more UMS in the bag.
Reply 13
it depends what a levels really.

im currently doing A2 and im glad i dropped maths, it takes a real weight off your shoulders

especially with a course like mediicne the unis dont favour people with 4 a levels over those with 3 for example, but im not sure what its like for other courses :smile:
Original post by Dalek1099
but Photography,would be studied in his free time,so no extra pressure.

4 AS Levels-Work +Photography Recreation
4 AS Levels-Work+Photography Recreation(AS Level)

You should use your recreation to get an enjoyable AS and since you enjoy it,a high grade.This would up your 3 A-Level performance and 5 AS Levels,all at good grades,will put you ahead of someone with 4 and the same grades.

I suppose that's a way of seeing it, until it becomes an "obligation" - which it will never be if it remains a hobby and not an AS level.
Reply 15
The argument is not that those A-levels are too hard to do. It is the fact that all a-levels require a lot of your time, and I find, the more 'vocational' or coursework-based a subject is (eg, photography, textiles, media, graphics, IT) the more of your time it will take up.

Don't take 5, you really don't need to, and it will ONLY disadvantage you (what is an extra A in photography going to do for you? nobody respects that subject, and the chances are it will make your other grades worse), stick to a max of 4, and buy a camera and some decent software for your weekends.

Original post by NightBear
Quite the athlete.

hehe
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mollyd

Good universities won't look at photography.
Most universities ask for 3 A levels or 3 A levels and 1 AS level.
Doing 5 A levels won't boost your application in anyway, especially when it's a soft blacklisted subject like photography.

If I were you, I'd do some photography in my spare time as leisure, by doing 4 AS levels you'll be putting less strain on yourself, and you'll do better in your exams.

Don't let GCSEs fool you, A levels aren't a ride in the park, even if it is 3 or 4 subjects, it's tough, and many people end up with Us, Es and Ds, you'll do good if you work hard from the beginning, it's almost impossible to go through a whole history text book the day before the exam like GCSEs.
Original post by kimmey
especially with a course like mediicne the unis dont favour people with 4 a levels over those with 3 for example, but im not sure what its like for other courses :smile:

I'm sure there's only one medical school which wants 4 A levels, however, for other medical schools, doing more A levels than required won't boost your application.
Reply 18
Original post by Politricks
I'm sure there's only one medical school which wants 4 A levels, however, for other medical schools, doing more A levels than required won't boost your application.

thats just what i said haha
Reply 19
Original post by Politricks

aha, it's fine I don't want to do medicine

Quick Reply

Latest