The Student Room Group

Alan Davies Hillsborough

Alan Davies has caused a lot of controversy about his views on Hillsborough and i was wondering what everyone else thought about the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b1XBPA5drFo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think he has a very good point.

9/11 was a terrible day - most Americans still get on with their day every September 11th.
My little brother died on October 21st - I still get on with my life and go to college on the anniversary of it.
Millions of people have died in wars - we have a one/two minute silence to remember it on one day of the year and then we all get on with our lives.
Bad things happen - people get on with their lives. It doesn't mean we're disrespectful people, it doesn't mean we forget, it just means that life has to carry on.

If Liverpool want to be considered, they have to play fair and consider Chelsea too - they have a chance (however slim :tongue: ) of doing well in a big competition, and to move the date of the match could potentially jeapordize their chances of doing well, so it's not exactly fair on Chelsea.

Most places that have had football tragedies hold a minute's applause, or a minute's silence, and they play in memory of the victims of the disaster. The victims were all football fans and all Liverpool fans - surely there is no better tribute to them, than for Liverpool to play in their honour and their memory? It just seems like pettiness on the Liverpool side and them trying to be perpetual victims. Hillsborough WAS a disaster, it WAS a tragedy, and no-one has denied that, not even Alan Davies - in fact, he acknowledges that it was the worst footballing disaster in his time - but it just seems very petty that Liverpool are using it as an excuse to try and scupper Chelsea's chances.

He really doesn't deserve the death threats he's getting - people are accusing him of disrespecting the dead from Hillsborough, and in the same sentence going on to wish him dead and expressing their happiness that his mother died! It's sheer hypocrisy, and also incredibly offensive.
Reply 2
Original post by madders94

9/11 was a terrible day - most Americans still get on with their day every September 11th.
My little brother died on October 21st - I still get on with my life and go to college on the anniversary of it.
Millions of people have died in wars - we have a one/two minute silence to remember it on one day of the year and then we all get on with our lives.
Bad things happen - people get on with their lives. It doesn't mean we're disrespectful people, it doesn't mean we forget, it just means that life has to carry on.

If Liverpool want to be considered, they have to play fair and consider Chelsea too - they have a chance (however slim :tongue: ) of doing well in a big competition, and to move the date of the match could potentially jeapordize their chances of doing well, so it's not exactly fair on Chelsea.

Most places that have had football tragedies hold a minute's applause, or a minute's silence, and they play in memory of the victims of the disaster. The victims were all football fans and all Liverpool fans - surely there is no better tribute to them, than for Liverpool to play in their honour and their memory? It just seems like pettiness on the Liverpool side and them trying to be perpetual victims. Hillsborough WAS a disaster, it WAS a tragedy, and no-one has denied that, not even Alan Davies - in fact, he acknowledges that it was the worst footballing disaster in his time - but it just seems very petty that Liverpool are using it as an excuse to try and scupper Chelsea's chances.

He really doesn't deserve the death threats he's getting - people are accusing him of disrespecting the dead from Hillsborough, and in the same sentence going on to wish him dead and expressing their happiness that his mother died! It's sheer hypocrisy, and also incredibly offensive.

Couldn't of said it better myself.
Reply 3
He has a point, but at the same time, it's not really something to get upset and angry about.
Liverpool really don't need to take that day off, at the same time, we shouldn't really attack them for doing so.
Reply 4
Original post by Advanced
He has a point, but at the same time, it's not really something to get upset and angry about.
Liverpool really don't need to take that day off, at the same time, we shouldn't really attack them for doing so.

I disagree, if I was a Chelsea fan I'd be angry and I'd have a right to be angry that Liverpool are allowed to get away with this, blatantly risking Chelsea's chances in the Champions' League semi final.
He's completely right. Nothing else to add really.
Reply 6
I disagree, if I was a Chelsea fan I'd be angry and I'd have a right to be angry that Liverpool are allowed to get away with this, blatantly risking Chelsea's chances in the Champions' League semi final.

It's no big deal. Liverpool aren't using it as an excuse to gain an advantage, they're showing a mark of respect.

Besides, I think tiredness is an over-used and often invalid excuse anyway.
How about Norwich (2 days rest) beating Spurs (7 days rest) at WHL yesterday?
Reply 7

Liverpool fans = scum.
Reply 8
He's donated £1,000 to the Hillsborough fund, but hasn't withdrawn his comments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2127741/Alan-Davies-donates-Hillsborough-fund-criticism-Liverpool.html
Reply 9
The reason that the team do not play is because they all attend the memorial service which is held on the 15th of April every year. This is a matter of respect that every member of the Liverpool team and staff attend every single year. How can you begrudge them that?
The Liverpool manager was deeply affected by hillsborough and he has attended every year, to the best of my knowledge. Also, a lot of fans like to attend this, I have attended on a few occasions myself. How could they do this if they were at wembley to watch the team?
Liverpool are perfectly entitled to get the fixture rescheduled if no one else is inconvenienced. However, this season in particular it's interfering with another club and the wider sport.

As said above, other people and sporting institutions have had tragedies and still mark the occasion appropriately without it interfering the wider context including Rangers, Man Utd and Bradford.

More disturbing is the backlash, you can't question anything without claiming outrage. And just because one is emotionally vested doesn't make them any more correct.
Reply 11
Original post by kopiteste
The reason that the team do not play is because they all attend the memorial service which is held on the 15th of April every year. This is a matter of respect that every member of the Liverpool team and staff attend every single year. How can you begrudge them that?
The Liverpool manager was deeply affected by hillsborough and he has attended every year, to the best of my knowledge. Also, a lot of fans like to attend this, I have attended on a few occasions myself. How could they do this if they were at wembley to watch the team?

Regardless though, he makes a good point.

We all work on 11th November, but pause for 2 minutes silence at 11am to mark over 1 million men who died fighting for the British in the First World War, and the hundreds of thousands in the Second World War and all others since then.

Americans don't refuse to work on September 11th, Rangers dont refuse to play on the day of their stadium disaster, nor Bradford, or Manchester United the day of the air disaster.

Do Liverpool fans show such sympathy and remorse and anger towards the Heysel disaster? No.

It's pretty stupid, and if nothing else just perpetuates the Liverpool victim 'woe is me', 'everyones out to get us' stereotype - which isn't true.

Alan Davies getting death threats over this just reaffirms my position that fanatical football fans really are the shame of the entire country.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Dont recall that people from Liverpool have ever given Juventus families any respect. The man that runs the Liverpool fanzine says that if Liverpool were scheduled to play a Champions league final on that day they wouldnt play but then added that FIFA wouldnt expect them to. Why is this club different to Juventus,Man Utd,Bradford,Glasgow Rangers. As for the death threats to Alan Davies, thought these fans were "the salt of the earth", they dont sound very nice to me. I think its now time to "let it be".
Original post by mau5
Liverpool fans = scum.

I agree mostly, and I'm not sure why you got negged for that, because the Liverpool fans certainly aren't doing a great job of proving that stereotype wrong! On what planet is it alright to send death threats and express joy at the death of someone's mother, for a comment they made about a fixture they disagree with? :lolwut:
Reply 14
Original post by mau5
Liverpool fans = scum.

The thing is the morons who are making these death threats are most definitely in the minority and, as we all know, every football club has its fair share of idiots.

But making a massive generalization like you have here, shows that you also neatly fall into the "idiot" category.
Reply 15
I agree mostly, and I'm not sure why you got negged for that, because the Liverpool fans certainly aren't doing a great job of proving that stereotype wrong! On what planet is it alright to send death threats and express joy at the death of someone's mother, for a comment they made about a fixture they disagree with? :lolwut:

Erm... again if i made an equally offensive generalization saying Muslims = Terrorists and the muslims certainly aren't doing a great job of proving that stereotype wrong - TSR would be up in arms.

However "Liverpool bashing" is unfortunately seen as fashionable on TSR and in most areas of the UK in general.
Reply 16

Different breed in Liverpool, offended by everything - responsible for nothing.

Brings to mind the last campaign for "justice" by Liverpool fans - where the "victim" was Michael Shields, the man found guilty in a court of law of attempted murder - a verdict that has never been overturned, and the "liar" was the waiter who suffered brain damage and undeniably, one way or another, had been scarred for life by a Liverpool supporter smashing his head in with a paving slab.

It reflects poorly on the "Justice for the 96" campaigners who I do feel have a real grievance and an objective worth pursuing in getting all information about the disaster released. Unfortunately for them, they will always be tainted by the "always the victims, never your fault" jibes. But its not hard to see why those taunts are aimed at what appears to be in many ways, an utterly repulsive football club.

Original post by Markos
The thing is the morons who are making these death threats are most definitely in the minority and, as we all know, every football club has its fair share of idiots.

But making a massive generalization like you have here, shows that you also neatly fall into the "idiot" category.

Don't be fooled by the media portrayal of 'lovable, friendly, cheeky scousers'. As far as 'support' goes they're absolutely pathetic, clueless and delusional with day tripping Scandinavians and lost Cockneys making up their numbers. That's not what really makes them so detestable though, it's the anger, bitter, paranoid, self pitying and mob mentality they have. One of my favourite moments in football was when the Turin boys turned their back on Liverpool and gave them the finger and showed them for what they really are.
Original post by mau5
Liverpool fans = scum.

I'm a Liverpool fan, justify it.
Generalizing a whole group of fans for what a clubs actions are are stupid. So is generalizing a whole group of fans over what some fans views or actions are.

Before you mention it, I think playing on the day of Hillsborough shouldn't a big of a issue as they make it. But I can see that they're being sensitive about the issue and showing respect, so I don't see a problem either.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
He was certainly right about one thing: Kenny's facepalming antics in front of the cameras, as proved by that awful awful interview after the Blackburn game. Jesus Christ that man looks like he's sucking a lemon whilst answering those questions.
Reply 19
The obsession with Liverpool fans these days is just ridiculous. It seems like absolutely everything is scrutinized to the death.

I understand Alan Davies point but it was poorly delivered and he knows it too. Hence the donation to the foundation.

I don't understand why it goes any further than that.

It's not as if Liverpool stopped Manchester United not playing on Munich dates or Juventus fans doing it on Heysels etc. If they were to do so I would have no complaints and nor should anyone else.

At the end of the day, Hillsborough is a tradegy that rocked the club and this is the way they have chosen to honour it. They have never played on April 15th and they never will. I don't understand what is so wrong about this. Theres no right or wrong way to remember a tradegy. This is just the way Liverpool have chosen to do so and it doesn't make sense to say it should be changed.

It's not our fault the FA are obsessed with Wembley and have chosen to have the semi finals there when most people don't want it to be played there anyway.

Saying this 22 year long tradition should be scrapped because Chelseas schedule is a bit cramped is just ridiculous. Some things are bigger than football and I can't believe that people aren't acknowledging the absurdity of this logic.

I respect Chelsea because they didn't make any massive grumbles about the issue. The club clearly understands the sensitivity of it and are just going about their business. It should really end there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending