The Student Room Group

5 months gym but small gains. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by duharvalgt
^^ this

I only watch the hodgetwins for a laugh , if I want some serious knowledge I may watch a video by Scooby or someone similar.

lol, scooby puts me off, i watch Elliot Hulse. YO ELLIOT!!! *awesome beat*(usually)
Reply 61
Original post by Hughsie
I think its unfair seaying they could do thing better when at the end of each video, they say "Its whatever works best for you", so in all honesty, this thread is pointless as there are too many differences of opinion due to what has worked for each person.

There will be one or a few things that work best for almost everyone. The people who it doesn't work for are outliers. It's best to try what works for most people first, properly, before deciding it's not for you.
Reply 62
Original post by duharvalgt
^^ this

I only watch the hodgetwins for a laugh , if I want some serious knowledge I may watch a video by Scooby or someone similar.

Fair point, I watch scooby too but HodgeTwins are very similar to scooby through their advice, they even promote his channel.
Reply 63
Original post by MancBoy
To people who gave advice cheers! It made for a good read and very insightful. To those who were just straight up hating, you sound like elitist *****! Everyone has to start somewhere!

I dont think anyone was hating... just differences in opinion.

But one thing no one disagreed on was diet... and doing some compound exercises.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Look, you're already known as the moron of the maths forum, do you want to also be known as the fool of the fitness forum?

:rofl: I genuinely lol'd. OP, even I know that you should be eating more if you wanna see gains. It's good that you lift, but increase your food intake (obviously try and make it clean), but no food = no gains.
Reply 65
Original post by Hughsie
Fair point, I watch scooby too but HodgeTwins are very similar to scooby through their advice, they even promote his channel.

Even elliot, near the end of one of his videos, put Hodge twins saying "You can do whatever the **** you wanna do!"
Reply 66
*whispers* and compound exercises....
Reply 67
Original post by Aisha~~
You pretty much need to double your food intake. 1-2 meals a day and protein shakes, what did you expect? Seriously. I have 2 meals within a few hours of getting up for christs sake.

and some steroids.
I don't understand why this guy is arguing against full body workouts but for compound lifts, as if they are opposite, mutually exclusive things?

I also don't understand why OP is eating so little.

I also don't understand why people say "do [routine], that's what I did and I gained 10kg in 3 weeks". Telling us how fat you got real quick isn't gonna impress anyone.
Reply 69
Original post by MancBoy
To people who gave advice cheers! It made for a good read and very insightful. To those who were just straight up hating, you sound like elitist *****! Everyone has to start somewhere!

LOL, you make a thread complaining about your lack of 'gains', don't bother to say if you've been looking to improve strength, appearance, sporting ability etc, try to pass off a list of body parts as a training routine, post a diet which could easily be improved by, er, I don't know reading the sticky(?), fail to answer a very good question in the very first reply your thread, everyone starts somewhere, maybe you should have started with the search function...
Reply 70
Original post by desijut
I dont think anyone was hating... just differences in opinion.

But one thing no one disagreed on was diet... and doing some compound exercises.

So how should I go about fixing my diet?

How does this sound?

Breakfast - Oats and 2 eggs (orange juice)
Mid-morning - Shake
Lunch - Tuna and jacket potato or Tuna sandwich
Afternoon snack - Shake
Dinner - Rice + chicken/Pasta + chicken
Evening snack - Shake
Reply 71
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I don't understand why this guy is arguing against full body workouts but for compound lifts, as if they are opposite, mutually exclusive things?

I also don't understand why OP is eating so little.

I also don't understand why people say "do [routine], that's what I did and I gained 10kg in 3 weeks". Telling us how fat you got real quick isn't gonna impress anyone.

lol, about the 3rd point, i know i havent said it on this thread but i have on others (change weeks to months). Was that aimed at me? I know i say that but i havent gained a lot of fat, I can still see a faded 6 pack, etc
Original post by desijut
lol, about the 3rd point, i know i havent said it on this thread but i have on others (change weeks to months). Was that aimed at me? I know i say that but i havent gained a lot of fat, I can still see a faded 6 pack, etc

it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just something that's thrown around a LOT on the internet and is pretty meaningless cos for all anybody knows it could be 100% fat or 100% muscle or anywhere in between
Reply 73

Im more preaching compound movements on the basis of two to three muscle groups per day. For example, chest and triceps.
Hope that was cleared up for you.
Reply 74
Original post by MancBoy

How does this sound?

Mid-morning - Shake
Afternoon snack - Shake
Evening snack - Shake

I wrote this earlier:

Protein shakes should not replace meals. **** the snack, eat a meal instead. You have no lunch? If you cant have lunch, have 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners, drink milk after every meal. You should be eating to the point you cant eat any more. AND THEN drink the glass of milk/protein shake (i'm guessing you put milk in yours?) and have some more milk before sleep.

I guarantee you will gain mass, and after a while it will be comfortable eating more. If you just gain fat from this diet and no muscle then your routine sucks, in which case i would suggest Starting Strength, unlike the troll said, you DO gain a lot of muscle and strength from it, you just need to "cut" after you finish SS and do a more BB routine

Or have bigger portions. I dont do it so much now, but i would finish milk bottles very quickly, and have about 3/4 eggs per day, have a normal cereal, 1.5x the amount of dinner i used to and some more. A few times i ate so much, i actually thought i was going to throw up.
Original post by MancBoy

How does this sound?

Mid-morning - Shake
Afternoon snack - Shake
Evening snack - Shake

do you understand that to gain muscle you need to eat more calories than you expend? If not then you probably should just give up now.

Assuming you do, then you must know that from this we can't really tell anything. If it's 200g oats, 200g of rice and 500g of chicken, then it's probably fine. If it's 50g of each then it's probably not.
Reply 76
it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it's just something that's thrown around a LOT on the internet and is pretty meaningless cos for all anybody knows it could be 100% fat or 100% muscle or anywhere in between

True... but it does convince people to give it a go if you say what gains you've made on the program, especially if you labelled yourself as a "hardgainer"
Reply 77
gitting big is only like 20-30 percent gym related the rest is like sleep and diet related
Reply 78
Eat more.
You eat in 1 day what I eat in a breakfast on my eat days during get this. Cutting.

Also cut the crisps/chocolate. The hell is wrong with you.
Eat Oatmeal,Salmon,brown bread,sweet potato,chicken and spinach/lettuce
Reply 79
do you understand that to gain muscle you need to eat more calories than you expend? If not then you probably should just give up now.

Assuming you do, then you must know that from this we can't really tell anything. If it's 200g oats, 200g of rice and 500g of chicken, then it's probably fine. If it's 50g of each then it's probably not.

400g of oats and rice is not fine. that's a ****loads of carbs, brb diabetes

Quick Reply

Latest