The Student Room Group

18 pregnant and want to go UNI!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ITGIRL
Yes Love, university is extremely easy and you will cope just fine. :confused: Is this what you want people to say?

Are you even in the correct mind state cause you seem like you're incapable of thinking rationally.

Of course I'm not suggesting it is not impossible, of course their is a 1% chance. However if you are going to lower tier university then you might actually find more people like you....

To be honest you need to take time out and re think life....

EDIT: Why neg me? My opinion is justified would you prefer i say she should have abortion???

EDIT2: SHE IS GOING TO FAIL LIFE! It is not like i'm saying this?? I mean come on people decision like this need to be thought out , you can't have this expectation you can carry on life as normal... Even smart girls take time out (but also take the pill).. :laugh:

Before mocking the OP, try to perfect your English.
This is turning out to be better than the benefits thread.
Reply 222
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
For idiots like yourself, yeah it does.

Im only 22 and I have a daughter, and guess what- she was planned. I was in a very happy relationship with my fiance and we decided the time was right. Unfortunately (and is with life) things went wrong and we had to break up.

But guess what? I have a lovely little girl. Sometimes she is a nightmare, but I am getting no better pleasure out of bringing up this little person and would do it again 10x over.

Plus, i'm safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to bring her up to be a idiot like your parents did so well with you. Applause to them.

LOL what is this comment? You completely misconstrued my comment. The fact that you brought up my parents .....:colonhash:. What a weak defense. Your parenting skill must be awesome. Congrats on your break-up by the way. I didn't need to know that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by Miracle Day
It's custom to say 'congratulations' when you find out someone's pregnant.

It's not my custom saying congratulations to an 18 year old having a kid.
(edited 11 years ago)
[QUOTE="victoryshinesonus;37143164"]
Original post by Vanilla*Pod

Didn't know guys could have kids:banana:

haha you get what I mean!
Original post by Cyclone33
It's not my custom saying congratulations to an 18 year old having a kid.

Why? An 18 year old is an adult. Lots of people feel ready to having a baby at 18.

So what are you going to say?

"Oh I'm pregnant"

"oh really.. ohh. ohh.." *awkward ends of conversation*

No. You say "Ohh congratulations, when's it due?"
Why? An 18 year old is an adult. Lots of people feel ready to having a baby at 18.

"Oh I'm pregnant"

Exactly. One of my former schoolfriends announced she's going to have a baby yesterday. She's 17, in a stable relationship, has a partner who works and yet is getting all this **** from people who believe that her kid's life is ****ed up because its parents are teenagers. While there are always going to be teenagers who are emotionally immature, there's many more that are fully ready to be able to take on the challenge. In which case, yes, congratulations OP :smile:

(I think this is the first time I've agreed with you, Miracle Day! :biggrin:)
You should really tell your parents before you start thinking to the future.

Take AT LEAST a year out. You're gonna be all over the shop with a little one and you are only 18. You don't need to rush.
Just want to through my bit out there. I got pregnant at 16 and in my first year of university. I had my son 7 weeks before I began my second year and at 17.

I was, and still am, his sole caretaker. I woke up at night for feeds and changing, I buy everything for him and now I provide nursery for him.
Although I lived, and still do live, at home, I do not let anyone run around after me or him. I fit my studies around him - once he is in bed or in nursery. I stay up to all hours to get essays and studying done and I still get up when he does in the morning.

I actually made myself ill after he was born and developed bells palsy (which thankfully has gone) because of stress. Yet due to my young age doctors thought I had a serious brain condition, since bells palsy in a minor is so uncommon. Yet I still struggled through and went to university with this.

Being a parent and a student IS doable, but it is beyond hard. Late nights, early mornings, no going out and doing the student life whenever, missing class with childcare issues etc.

You just have to ask yourself whether you know you can make it work or not.
Original post by rubixcyoob
Just want to through my bit out there. I got pregnant at 16 and in my first year of university. I had my son 7 weeks before I began my second year and at 17.

I was, and still am, his sole caretaker. I woke up at night for feeds and changing, I buy everything for him and now I provide nursery for him.
Although I lived, and still do live, at home, I do not let anyone run around after me or him. I fit my studies around him - once he is in bed or in nursery. I stay up to all hours to get essays and studying done and I still get up when he does in the morning.

I actually made myself ill after he was born and developed bells palsy (which thankfully has gone) because of stress. Yet due to my young age doctors thought I had a serious brain condition, since bells palsy in a minor is so uncommon. Yet I still struggled through and went to university with this.

Being a parent and a student IS doable, but it is beyond hard. Late nights, early mornings, no going out and doing the student life whenever, missing class with childcare issues etc.

You just have to ask yourself whether you know you can make it work or not.

You went to uni at 16?! Wow
Reply 230
One of my friends had a kid in the summer between 1st and 2nd year and she must have been about 21 at the time. She's doing really well for herself. But then she has a supportive husband (they got married just after the baby was born) and a supportive family. I think it must be practically impossible if you don't have your own support network.
Reply 231

"Oh I'm pregnant"

I would say "when it's due?" DUH.

In all seriousness, I don't say congratulations especially to the person I know who isn't ready, doesn't have a stable job, etc. In this case, I don't know if the OP is ready nor do I care to know she's ready. If she's ready, then good for her. If she's not, then all I can say is good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 232
Original post by Kay26
Hello just wanted advice really...

Thank you! :smile:

I can understand why you've not replied to any of this rubbish that's being said here!

You need to let both UCAS and student finance know of your decision - especially if you're going straight to uni - then you'll be able to get more money from student finance to help with the baby, as well as an appropriate place to live at uni.

I think you may struggle to concentrate on exams in your first year with a newborn, but then the grades you get in first year exams don't matter - you only have to pass to get into second year. so i reckon it is possible, but you would have to give up time with your child.

i'd personally advise that you called the department at the uni you want to go to, explain your situation, and ask if they'll defer your place until next year. that means you will have a secure place for next year and not have to re-apply, but you can also spend time with your baby.

when you're 6-9 months pregnant, just getting around campus to your lectures would be incredibly hard work. also, freshers week would be a write-off, you can't drink or party when you're pregnant!

if your parents are practical people, maybe you should ask them when you've told them about the baby. it might also make them feel better about it if you say you still want to go to uni! i reckon they'd come up with the most practical plan, as they know what it's like to have a baby, whereas most of us don't! i've got a niece and nephew of 8 and 9 and from babies they've been pretty hard work.

so... to summarise, i'd say ask your parents, inform unis, tell student finance.

good luck :smile:
Original post by Kay26
Hello just wanted advice really...

I recently found out that i'm pregnant (baby due mid December).
I'm finishing my A-levels and i'm due to start university in sept/oct this year.
I don't want to put it off another year as i've already retaken the year at college for my AS however I also don't want to have to take time away from the baby once he/she is born.

The father is around and although I haven't told my family, I believe they will be more than supportive once the initial shock is over! what is the best thing to do?!

I'm going to be taking psychology and was also wondering how many hours/ days i would be doing?
Thank you! :smile:

I would say if you really want to go ahead make sure you chose a uni where the course will be easier, looking after a kid with the workload I have would be literally impossible, and I am sure it is the same for most top Uni's. It might be best to start part time depending on the workload you will be expecting.
I think an Open Uni degree is the one for you, I'm getting a degree from there on the bases of not wanting to pay £9,000 a year but I'm happy paying £5,000.

Congrats and best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Kay26
Hello just wanted advice really...QUOTE]

I don’t think there’s going to be an easy answer. I think you have to ask yourself what you would regret more. Going to uni 1 or 2 years late, or not being there for your child as much as you could be, obviously it’s not as simple as that but it’s unlikely that you are going to be able to do both simultaneously to the best of your ability. Definitely talk to your parents/the father/organisations that are set up for young pregnancy's.
Original post by XXchachaXX
She's 1 month pregnant, there's no baby in her womb just an embryo and an embryo is NOT an actual human being :redface:

Oh god I just loled so hard :toofunny: How can anyone be so dumb? Abortion is abortion.
Original post by vedderfan94
Oh god I just loled so hard :toofunny: How can anyone be so dumb? Abortion is abortion.

Can you please upload the January 2012 GCSE German Listening and Speaking exams, as I need them for practice in the Summer.

Why are you ignoring me? I have requested them from you so many times and it is a fairly new specification so there aren't many past papers currently available!
Original post by GreenLantern1
Can you please upload the January 2012 GCSE German Listening and Speaking exams, as I need them for practice in the Summer.

Why are you ignoring me? I have requested them from you so many times and it is a fairly new specification so there aren't many past papers currently available!

Sorry I don't have the login any more because it was changed.
Original post by vedderfan94
Sorry I don't have the login any more because it was changed.

Alright then; you could've just let me know that lol.:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest