The Student Room Group

How do I get full student support when only entitled to two years?

I am a Welsh mature student about to study in England this September. I have began a degree course twice in the past but not completed it. Student Finance Wales have told me that I'm only entitled now to full support for my 2nd & 3rd year, I will be entitled to the maintenance loan for my 1st year but will have to cover my own fees which of course is now Β£9000. This is not surprisingly impossible for me to find that sort of money.

Does anyone now of a way I can reimburse the full support for my 1st year too? Or an alternative route to get help paying for my first year of fees?
The university I will be studying at is Brighton University if that helps.
Reply 1
Unfortunately there is no way to get those years refunded and with 2 years previous study there is no way to get SFW to fund those years.

You could look into a Career Development Loan (Barclays and the Co-op do them) however, they are usually for courses lasting up to 2 years and the repayments start immediately after your course finishes (within those 2 years), and are notoriously difficult to get approved.

Another option is to ask your university if you could pay by installments and get a job during your first year.

Quick Reply

Latest