The Student Room Group

Sometimes I feel like life is pointless...

I go through cycles where I feel okay (for about a week) and then feel down for a month or so. It seems today was the beginning of my 'depressed' stage. It's not like any external stimuli change, just my thoughts. The tiniest triggers today have got me feeling like complete crap. They're just superficial, pathetic triggers to the complete crap I'm feeling right now, I know this but it doesn't change it.

Can I just say that I'm not suicidal, I would never do that to myself but I know the mood of this post could indicate that but I'm not suicidal.

I just feel like life is pointless. I can't be bothered with it anymore. I've lost interest in the few things that interested me (TV shows and music I liked, friends, food and even motivation for revising for my a-levels). I used to not mind revising because I thought I was working towards my future, but now I don't see the point. I'm working towards nothing, I have no goals or aspirations. All I wanted in life was to get married and have children but I'm too shy and unattractive to ever find a husband.

The few friends I have have all moved on. My two best friends who didn't know eachother have recently met and are now best friends, they go to concerts and themeparks together and don't think of inviting me and who could blame them. I spend my whole day at college alone because I just have no interest in what's going on.

Even the small things that I could rely on making me feel better (hot showers, Family Guy episodes, etc...) don't interest me.

The only thing glimmer of hope I have right now is knowing how upset my family would be if they knew how I feel and God. Please don't get into any religious arguments or anything, but my family and Him are the two things that help me get through day to day life.

Has anyone got any advice please? I feel like complete crap.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I had the same problem for some period of time after I got a good work and moved right after the college to Prague (cca 300km away) I didnt understood ppl in work, they were all like 10 years older than me and knew each other for like 6 years.

All I´ve done was waiting and finding a new hobbies, interrests. Have u tried that? In the beginning its almost impossible, but u have to try it, ull find out its not that bad.

Im kind of a lonely person right now but I got myself a 1 year goal which im looking forward to complete and it gives me the point of living

Our whole life is made of little goals which leads to the bigger ones. Like now im gonna finish the college so ill get a good job and then build a house :tongue:

Cheer up, we are all unique
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I go through cycles where I feel okay (for about a week) and then feel down for a month or so. It seems today was the beginning of my 'depressed' stage. It's not like any external stimuli change, just my thoughts. The tiniest triggers today have got me feeling like complete crap. They're just superficial, pathetic triggers to the complete crap I'm feeling right now, I know this but it doesn't change it.

Can I just say that I'm not suicidal, I would never do that to myself but I know the mood of this post could indicate that but I'm not suicidal.

I just feel like life is pointless. I can't be bothered with it anymore. I've lost interest in the few things that interested me (TV shows and music I liked, friends, food and even motivation for revising for my a-levels). I used to not mind revising because I thought I was working towards my future, but now I don't see the point. I'm working towards nothing, I have no goals or aspirations. All I wanted in life was to get married and have children but I'm too shy and unattractive to ever find a husband.

The few friends I have have all moved on. My two best friends who didn't know eachother have recently met and are now best friends, they go to concerts and themeparks together and don't think of inviting me and who could blame them. I spend my whole day at college alone because I just have no interest in what's going on.

Even the small things that I could rely on making me feel better (hot showers, Family Guy episodes, etc...) don't interest me.

The only thing glimmer of hope I have right now is knowing how upset my family would be if they knew how I feel and God. Please don't get into any religious arguments or anything, but my family and Him are the two things that help me get through day to day life.

Read your post back to yourself. Then re-read the bits i've coloured red. That is why life seems pointless - because YOU HAVE DECIDED it is pointless. I went through exactly the same stage as i was bullied in school and told I was a geek and a loner with no friends every day and i thought life was pointless. But I decided that I would give myself two rules:

1) Smile and laugh ALL THE TIME. even when something someone says isn't funny, or even if you're not particularly happy, just smile at people when you see them, and they'll smile back. If anyone says anything just laugh.

2) You must say yes to everything. If someone asks you to go out, say yes. If teachers ask you to do extra work, say yes. You wouldnt believe how much of a difference that three letter word makes.

Id also like to say that you've told yourself it's the "start of your cycle of feeling crap" - so you're telling yourself that you're going to feel crap for the next month. It is you who decides your moods, no-one else. How about telling yourself you only live once and so you're going to have the most amazing month of your life instead? Even if you're stuck in school - make the most of it! Talk to people, SMILE at people, just HAVE fun!

Basically - I've had this feeling too, after being bullied life seemed pointless - but the only pointless life is the one you don't make the most of. Smile, be happy, do exercise (releases endorphins which make you happy, whilst giving you self-confidence), and tell yourself that being alive is A GIFT. many people have this gift taken away from them, so make the most of yours!!!!!!:colondollar:
There is always something to live for
Reply 4
Come to Islam brother/sister :smile:

You will realise that life is not pointless.

I've actually been going through this since starting to go unin :'(

No one seems to care or bother to see how I am, "friends" gone off with other people. Got no one to talk to and family just don't understand.

Your not alone, all I can do is try to put a fake smile on my face and revise:frown:
Reply 6
All I wanted in life was to get married and have children but I'm too shy and unattractive to ever find a husband.

Shyness can be cured. I know because I've done it. Why do you think you're unattractive?

I use to think I was ugly in the past but that was just because I had a low self-esteem and no confidence and because other people told me I was ugly so I believed them and that became my reality.

I don't believe anyone is ugly. I know it's a cliche but there really is someone out there for everyone. Walk down any street or watch the Jeremy Kyle show and you will be thinking 'what the hell is she/he doing with her?' every now and again. Attractiveness is all subjective. I see people all the time who I am not remotely attracted to and they are in relationships. It doesn't matter that I don't like them, someone out there does.

I feel life is pointless too but what can you do? if suicide is not an option, you just have to get on with it. We all die one day so I just don't see the point in life, I don't see what the end game is. I don't see what it's going to achieve if I my spend all my life working hard and then just die at the end of it. We can reproduce but for what? just to repeat the cycle endlessly? most of us take drugs to block out our reality and to escape from it. I read 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley recently and it just sums the world up. Sex, drugs and violence.

But what other choice do we have? it's another cliche but you just have to make the most of it. Don't look for the point because there isn't one. At least I've not found one yet.
Reply 7
You're not the only one.
Original post by madstudent
Read your post back to yourself. Then re-read the bits i've coloured red. That is why life seems pointless - because YOU HAVE DECIDED it is pointless. I went through exactly the same stage as i was bullied in school and told I was a geek and a loner with no friends every day and i thought life was pointless. But I decided that I would give myself two rules:

1) Smile and laugh ALL THE TIME. even when something someone says isn't funny, or even if you're not particularly happy, just smile at people when you see them, and they'll smile back. If anyone says anything just laugh.

2) You must say yes to everything. If someone asks you to go out, say yes. If teachers ask you to do extra work, say yes. You wouldnt believe how much of a difference that three letter word makes.

Id also like to say that you've told yourself it's the "start of your cycle of feeling crap" - so you're telling yourself that you're going to feel crap for the next month. It is you who decides your moods, no-one else. How about telling yourself you only live once and so you're going to have the most amazing month of your life instead? Even if you're stuck in school - make the most of it! Talk to people, SMILE at people, just HAVE fun!

Basically - I've had this feeling too, after being bullied life seemed pointless - but the only pointless life is the one you don't make the most of. Smile, be happy, do exercise (releases endorphins which make you happy, whilst giving you self-confidence), and tell yourself that being alive is A GIFT. many people have this gift taken away from them, so make the most of yours!!!!!!:colondollar:

Very well said indeed! :cool:
OP I know how you feel, and at first when I heard what I'm about to say, i thought "what the hell, how can that be true". i couldn't get my head around it and understand its true meaning until I tried it.

"You choose how you feel".

If your car breaks down, do you choose to get angry and feel despair, or do you think 'you know what? its beyond my control, its happened, I might be late to my appointment/work, but theres nothing I can do, so I will choose happiness instead.'

If an exam doesn't go well do you feel upset and down with yourself , or accept that it didn't go well, and theres no nothing you can do to change it at that second, so choose to accept it, and move on, and do something to change it into a positive?

Its all about perspective. If you feel negative about something, you're not going to get anywhere, whereas if you take positive action, and have positive thoughts, you are more likely to have the positive outcome that you want.
Buy Karl Popper's book: all life is problem solving

life is pointless.. try your best to enjoy the ride. get to know this world! read about random topics.. do something crazy.. keep a blog.. set goals.. be committed to something, anything! don't worry about God. I'm sure you are a decent person irrespective of your beliefs. Remind yourself what is important to you in life. If you have no idea, find out! think to yourself, in 10 years none of this will matter. Whatever you want, give it your best shot! Think of life as a temporary paid holiday.. do you have friends? even if just 1.. that can help a lot..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
... The only thing glimmer of hope I have right now is knowing how upset my family would be if they knew how I feel and God. ..Has anyone got any advice please?

You were made by the best, for the best.
God's advice is that you should receive His Spirit, "The Comforter", just like I,
all my friends and all the original disciples:

"they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues,
as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4, 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4)

Here's one of numerous testimonies I could share:
Wendy: In the year 2000 I was suffering severe depression.
I was unemployed for over seven years. Everything seemed helpless
and hopeless. Everything that I had tried either didn't work or
only worked for a short time.
I believed in God and Jesus Christ and that I could pray to Him to
help me. I had been doing that for years, but it seemed He wasn’t
listening. I was very unhappy and felt I was slipping away and I didn't
want to lose my love for God, I would rather die than lose that.
I decided to pray once more and ask Jesus to plead my cause
before His Father and I wouldn't stop saying Abba Father until He
helped me. My tongue started speaking in a language that I never
learnt. I thought at first I had lost my mind because I didn't
understand what I was saying, but then the scripture came into my
head " The Holy Spirit makes intercession with groanings that
cannot be uttered" I was filled with a tremendous feeling of relief, joy,
light and indescribable peace.
I wanted to know more about this Holy Spirit. A week later a couple of
people showed me in the Bible that you can receive the Holy Spirit
and speak in tongues and it was a promise for today.
I was baptized, I got a job and I feel much better about myself
because I am needed and appreciated. It was like He has put a new
song in my mouth and heart, even the praise unto our God.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by insignificant
Its all about perspective. If you feel negative about something, you're not going to get anywhere, whereas if you take positive action, and have positive thoughts, you are more likely to have the positive outcome that you want.

I the situation the OP is in it's not just as simple to say 'think positively' and 'if you feel negative you're going to fail'. It certainly didn't help me when everyone simply was pointing out the obvious but you don't need reminding of that. And no one likes being told not to be sad when they are.
Original post by Kiss
I the situation the OP is in it's not just as simple to say 'think positively' and 'if you feel negative you're going to fail'. It certainly didn't help me when everyone simply was pointing out the obvious but you don't need reminding of that. And no one likes being told not to be sad when they are.

I do know this. I have got anxiety, depression, and PTSD, I'm on my third counsellor, and on anti-depressants. CBT is all about replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, or changing how you react to negative thoughts, which is the most widely used psychological therapy. Its not working all that well for me at the moment, but it takes time, and thats what you are supposed to try do, replace bad thoughts with good ones.
Religion is man made and creates segregation and differences among our species. It is not the answer but a question in itself.
Religion is man made and creates segregation and differences among our species. It is not the answer but a question in itself.
Watch Brooklyn 99 :smile:
That´s because it is.
@jameslad. Religion is man made and creates segregation and differences among our species. It is not the answer but a question in itself.
Reply 19

You just described my life

Quick Reply

Latest