The Student Room Group

Summer Work Experience

Hi im thinking of doing a month of medical work experience abroad in asia. Has anyone done anything like that or recommend anything? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by lmetaxas
Hi im thinking of doing a month of medical work experience abroad in asia. Has anyone done anything like that or recommend anything? Thanks

someone in the year above me did some medical work experience abroad and she now has an offer, so yes it is probably a good idea. However a month maybe to much, I would try and get a variety of different work experience placements as I think it would just give you a more rich look into what its like being a doctor etc..
I went to Tanzania this feburary for 2 weeks for a medical placement and I had the best time of my life! It was so great to experience their culture as it is so different to ours. Also I learnt a lot in the hospital when meeting patients and learning about their cases. I saw things there that you would never see here in the UK. Also I watched 7 different operations which was one of the best parts of the experience, I can't imagine being allowed to do that here.

I did the work experience through Gap Medics who organised the whole trip very well. It was scary arriving in Africa at first but then a staff member met me at the airport which was really helpful.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have. But I would say go for it because you will have a great time!
Reply 3
Thanks for the help guys. Ive already done 2 weeks in the UK and 1 week in greece and i just thought something in Asia not only would look good on CV's and stuff but that it would be loads of fun too. On the one in tanzania, were there people your age there to hang out with like on weekends and things? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by thegreenchildren
Also I watched 7 different operations which was one of the best parts of the experience, I can't imagine being allowed to do that here.

You're doing work experience at the wrong hospitals then...:tongue:

Seriously, if you like the operating theatre, keep looking around your area because quite a few NHS hospitals place their work shadowing students there.
Original post by Pandabär
You're doing work experience at the wrong hospitals then...:tongue:

Seriously, if you like the operating theatre, keep looking around your area because quite a few NHS hospitals place their work shadowing students there.

Yeah my local hospital doesn't even let you shadow a doctor.
Original post by lmetaxas
Thanks for the help guys. Ive already done 2 weeks in the UK and 1 week in greece and i just thought something in Asia not only would look good on CV's and stuff but that it would be loads of fun too. On the one in tanzania, were there people your age there to hang out with like on weekends and things? Thanks

Yeah the first week, which was during term time, I was one of 5 people (the others were on their gap year and I am in year 12), then the next week when it was half term, 30+ year 12's came over. So yeah, making new friends was a really great part of the experience.
Reply 7
I went to India last summer for a month :smile: But my family live there so it was weekdays work and evenings and weekends chilling with family- but it was REALLY good, I even got to take a man's stiches out! Great experience if you get the right hospitals, mine was organised at my grandad's friend's hospital so they all knew me and were more than happy to show me everything etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending