The Student Room Group

What makes the British the best musicians in the world ?

It seems like every generations from the 60s, and especially the 80s was dominated by British musicians, my favourites being Duran Duran.

What is it about Britain, which makes this, do you think ? Can it be explained ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Were they?

The British music scene was dominated by British musicians. But was the Moroccan? Was the Chinese? Was the Indian? Was the Brazilian?
I'd contest that the Americans have had the best musicians personally
No, it's obvious everyone around the world listened to British music, it reached every corner of the globe, almost like a new form of colonialism.
Reply 4
Just because its the most listened to around the world doesnt necessarily make it the best. It just means its the most global reaching. More money = more availability to promote worldwide. Could be an African band out there that would completely blow your mind but there would be little chance you would ever hear about them.

McDonalds is everywhere, ridiculously high sales and profits, doesnt mean its better quality than a little Spanish restaurant in the middle of a cobbled street that not many people know about.

Etc.
Reply 5
I'm not sure this has been the case for at least the last 10 years.
Reply 6
I disagree. It seems best to us because that's what we have heard growing up.

And I know it's subjective but I wouldn't say Duran Duran are anywhere near the best musicians.
Nah, if anything its the Germans, dominating western classical music for over 300 years.
Reply 8
I'd say American musicians are more popular than British ones. And the Canadian Bieb, obviously.

But also:
1) As somebody said, being known isn't a mark of quality.
2) Also as somebody said, if you want a region of real musical impact, it would have to be Germany/Austria.
Reply 9
Original post by Jtking3000
Nah, if anything its the Germans, dominating western classical music for over 300 years.

Was just about to post this. You could also say that the Russians dominated late 19th/early 20th century music (Tchaikovsky, Rachmanninov, Prokofiev, Shoshtakovich, etc).

The only good British composer of "Classical" music would be Edward Elgar.
Original post by NR09
I disagree. It seems best to us because that's what we have heard growing up.

Bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc are listened to all around the world.
Adele - what happen to yo music british people. what happened man? todays british music is a far cry from Iron Maider or Black Sabbath

Also, define, "good musician". What do you base it on? Technical compositions, emotion, structure etc?
Reply 12
Original post by AkaJetson
Bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc are listened to all around the world.

As are Elvis Presley, Micheal Jackson and Abba.

Naming random popular bands/musicians doesn't prove anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Classical music, real classical music, basically died out after 1970,
Abba ? Oh right, one Swedish band, compared to dozens if not a hundred or more British bands who produced great music.
Original post by democracyforum
Abba ? Oh right, one Swedish band, compared to dozens if not a hundred or more British bands who produced great music.

In Flames
Soilwork
Scar Symmetry

All better than those ****ty pop bands you are so fond of.

Subjectivity is a bitch ain't it?
Reply 16
Not true at all, Germans, Russians and even Americans have a higher claim.
Original post by NR09
As are Elvis Presley, Micheal Jackson and Abba.

Naming random popular bands/musicians doesn't prove anything.

They aren't just 'random and popular' they're well known to be the one of the best all around the world, as are a multitude of other British bands and artists.
Reply 18
Original post by democracyforum

Yeah JLS , One direction, The wanted, Duran Duran are all so great. Heres a hint they were not famous for their music their famous for their queer bubble gum boy looks. Their music is utter ****.
Reply 19
Original post by AkaJetson
They aren't just 'random and popular' they're well known to be the one of the best all around the world, as are a multitude of other British bands and artists.

I'm not denying that they are world renowned, I LOVE Led Zeppelin.

I'm just saying that because Britain has produced some great bands over the years, it doesn't mean that Britain necessarily produces the best musicians in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest