The Student Room Group

Imminent uni decision - argh help :(

Ok, so two days ago I accepted UCL as my firm choice on UCAS with an offer of AAA, and Durham as my insurance with AAB. I declined Lancaster (AAB) and Birmingham (AAA). Basically, as soon as i accepted, I knew I wasn't happy about my decision :frown: I left it til 5 minutes to midnight and was in so many minds about it. I know its stupid to turn down such good unis like UCL and Durham, but I think I'm more suited to somewhere like Lancaster after all. Am I being ridiculous?? :s-smilie:
To be honest, I just want to know what my options are for changing at this stage. I rang UCAS the following day and apparently I have til next Monday to change, but I can only do it once. Has anybody else done this?? How easy is it?
Reply 1
I did this today! It was amazingly easy. I just told the guy that I was uncertain and could I please change my options as I am not 100% certain and he reminded me that I could only do this once and he went ahead and changed it on my track :smile:
Reply 2
Go where YOU want to go and where you would feel happiest. Ring up UCAS if you want to change.
Reply 3
Go where you're happiest. Don't worry about league tables or things like that - if you're not happy you won't work as hard (and may even drop out) so you're less likely to come out with a good degree.
Reply 4
Contact UCAS and they'll hopefully help you sort it.
Reply 5
I have the same problem. What is UCAS number and is it too late form me if I wait til Monday to call them (I assume they don't work on the weekend?)
Reply 6
Original post by JustSayin'
I have the same problem. What is UCAS number and is it too late form me if I wait til Monday to call them (I assume they don't work on the weekend?)

Hey, the customer service number for UCAS is 08714680468, they're open Monday - Friday 08:30 - 18:00 (uk time) :smile:

You are allowed to make a change (once only) to your decisions up to 7 days from when you replied to your offers. The number you ring to make the change is closed over the weekend, but the weekend still counts as part of the 7 days unfortunately (so be careful!)

So for example, I replied to my offers at 23:55 on Tuesday 8th May (typical me, 5 mins before the deadline :wink:), and when I rang UCAS the following day they told me I can make changes up to and including Monday 14th May.

As long as you are still within your 7 day deadline, you can change. Ring UCAS if you're unsure - I found them very clear and helpful.

Hope that helps :smile:
4 Great universities in that list! I'd say just go where you feel happiest - they're all very respected! I had the same problem between Royal Holloway and Birmingham and Durham myself, but asked myself where I'd be happy for 3 years and made the decision.
Reply 8
Original post by Lamb.
Basically, as soon as i accepted, I knew I wasn't happy about my decision :frown: I left it til 5 minutes to midnight and was in so many minds about it. I know its stupid to turn down such good unis like UCL and Durham, but I think I'm more suited to somewhere like Lancaster after all. Am I being ridiculous?? :s-smilie:

Everybody else has already given you good advice on how to change your options, so I'll just add that you shouldn't feel stupid for wanting to go to your favourite universities. :smile: Reputation should always come second to where you think you'll enjoy going the most.
I turned down UCL and St. Andrews for Sheffield and I'm certain I made the right decision. I really don't think I would have been happy at either of the other universities, regardless of their prestige; St. Andrews because the course wasn't what I wanted, and UCL because I hated the idea of living in London.
Reply 9
Original post by Lamb.
Hey, the customer service number for UCAS is 08714680468, they're open Monday - Friday 08:30 - 18:00 (uk time) :smile:

You are allowed to make a change (once only) to your decisions up to 7 days from when you replied to your offers. The number you ring to make the change is closed over the weekend, but the weekend still counts as part of the 7 days unfortunately (so be careful!)

So for example, I replied to my offers at 23:55 on Tuesday 8th May (typical me, 5 mins before the deadline :wink:), and when I rang UCAS the following day they told me I can make changes up to and including Monday 14th May.

As long as you are still within your 7 day deadline, you can change. Ring UCAS if you're unsure - I found them very clear and helpful.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply