The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Hi,

Does anyone know what the first round interview at Monckton was like last year? They say general chat about CV, but Brick court said that too and they were lying!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 681
They like to make Crim Barristers sweat it out, the vast majority in that list seemed to say end of June early July before any news would be due.

I expect most of the other criminal sets are the same.
Has anyone heard from Farringdon Chambers? Anyone know what their first round interviews are like? Thanks.
Original post by DreamPupil
Has anyone heard from Farringdon Chambers? Anyone know what their first round interviews are like? Thanks.

Dreampupil - Post from Zara82 two days ago "Phoned Farringdon law chambers just now and asked for an update. The clerk said that they are currently considering applications and will get back to us very soon."
Original post by delboyandrodders
Dreampupil - Post from Zara82 two days ago "Phoned Farringdon law chambers just now and asked for an update. The clerk said that they are currently considering applications and will get back to us very soon."

Farringdon chambers have sent out invites.
Original post by Wildman
Ah, so we are finally out of our misery! By post or email? today?

A couple of days ago I think.
Original post by Wildman
were you invited?

Didnt apply. No it's my friend who has an interview there.
Reply 687
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 688
Original post by LEM20
Calling all Property hopefuls/current practitioners...

I appreciate that this is slightly off-topic, but my brother has recently had an offer accepted on a flat. The estate agents recommend a particular solicitor; the small print which appears at the bottom of their document is set out below. Do those terms appear reasonable to you? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Purchase: We will charge £300.97 (inc VAT) to obtain the Case Plan, Local Enviro and Drainage Searches. We will charge a minimum of £9.60 (inc VAT) to obtain Completion Searches. The cost of any additional searches that may be required can be found in the Menu of Additional Services in your Welcome Letter. Sale: We will charge £17.00 (inc VAT) to obtain the Case Plan and official copies from the Land Registry.
Other professional fees
If you are purchasing or selling with a mortgage, an additional charge of £180.00 (inc VAT) per mortgage will be made to cover legal fees for work carried out for the lender. If purchasing an additional charge of £102.00 (inc VAT) will be made for the preparation and submission of the Stamp Duty Land Transaction Return. We will make a charge of £20.40 (inc VAT) for an electronic or paper anti money laundering check and fraud check for each customer instructing us and for each beneficial owner identified during the course of the transaction and for any third parties we are required to verify. On a purchase we will charge for obtaining Chancel Repair Insurance of £20.40 (inc VAT) in addition to a premium of £5.25 (inc. of insurance premium tax) for purchases of property valued up to £1,000,000. A charge of £30.00 (inc VAT) (for a single matter) or a charge of £36.00 (inc VAT) (for a linked sale and purchase) will be made to cover the cost of maintaining an archive of documents relating to your matter. No further charges will be made should you require us to retrieve and copy these documents. In addition to the fixed fees, there will be payments to third parties, some of which may be payable even if the transaction does not proceed. On a purchase: £60.00 (inc VAT) professional fees on account will be required. If the transaction does not complete the £60.00 will not be refunded. If the transaction does complete the £60.00 will be offset against your legal fees. An additional £340.00 will be required now on account of searches. Your initial payment to us on a purchase transaction will be £400.00. On a sale: A non refundable professional fee of £72.00 (inc VAT) for our Fast Start Services is required now. For a non Fast Start Service £60.00 on account will be required when when a buyer has been found. Some of the personal information you provide in this form will be shared by us with carefully selected third parties located both inside and outside the European Economic Area who will be assisting us with the performance of our services to you.

Slightly off topic??????? I will gladly read it and give you my opinion for £150.00
Original post by LEM20
- snippety snip -

This is not a forum for free legal advice. Furthermore, you would be unwise to rely on legal advice issued here since the vast majority of posters are a) unqualified and b) dangerously anonymous. That is completely aside from not being - in any way - related to the thread topic.

Property law is serious business, mistakes can be costly - and not just financially. Your best bet is to deal directly with the solicitor and,if you want to make sure of the contract terms, visit the citizens' advice bureau.

Best of luck with your situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LEM20
Calling all Property hopefuls/current practitioners...

The one thing you have not quoted is the solicitors' charges for acting on the purchase.

There are lots of disbursements (fees payable to 3rd parties) and we know that he will be charged £180 more inc VAT if he is taking a mortgage, but nowhere have you said what he is being charged for the legal work for the purchase.

So you have told us the cost of number plates, the delivery charges and the cost of the optional alloy wheels and then you have asked us whether the car is good value. :tongue:

He should get other quotes from other solicitors recommended by other people and then compare them.

That letter may well say that a referral fee is being paid by the solicitor to the estate agent. In other words the estate agent is trying to send you to that solicitor because he gets paid for every job he sends to that solicitor. That is permitted so long as it is disclosed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 691
Ouch, can't say I expected so many negative ratings.

Fair point, though. Sorry everyone. I'm in the same position as most of you (post Bar School and pre pupillage) but I still have friends and family asking me for my legal opinon on various things! I just thought some of you could offer an insight; worth a shot....
No post here and having seen posters reveal that Farringdon and 18SJS letters came out a couple of days ago....am I to expect the worst?
Reply 693
Original post by LEM20
Ouch, can't say I expected so many negative ratings.

Fair point, though. Sorry everyone. I'm in the same position as most of you (post Bar School and pre pupillage) but I still have friends and family asking me for my legal opinon on various things! I just thought some of you could offer an insight; worth a shot....

Tensions are running pretty high at the moment because we are just starting to approach the point where invitations are coming out. I think its making people snappy as a result.
Reply 694
Original post by ProofNotTruth
No post here and having seen posters reveal that Farringdon and 18SJS letters came out a couple of days ago....am I to expect the worst?

Invitations to 18 SJS went out last week, and rejections have been received in the post this week, so you will find out either way this week.
Original post by Chilbaldi
The poster above is lying about Farringdon interviews. Either the poster of their walter mitty friend.

What makes you think that?
18SJS has come through. No such luck.
Citadel rejections out by post :frown:
This day last year 2 Hare Court started sending out invitations. Let my insanity commence.
Reply 699
Original post by BarStarred
What makes you think that?

So the outstanding issue is, "whether Farringdon has indeed sent out invites or it hasn't." A simple way of checking this, [for those who have applied], would be another telephone call to the clerks at that set.

Quick Reply

Latest