The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by daisyclouds
I couldn't agree more, they tend to be more creative with maths or science subjects :P

Yeah! And they always give us a good question at the end of passage 2 :colondollar: Hope it's a good one this year :biggrin:!
Reply 21
does anyone know any websites for old past papers before 2007?! it's such short notice and they would be so handy! please?!
Reply 22
http://m.mpatel.webnode.com/exam-papers/ there you go :smile: hope that helps! if you need any help just ask :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Who's ready for monday? D:
I've got the foundations. Doing my serious studying over the next three days. I'm sure it'll be okay though! :smile:.
Reply 25
Does anybody know how to do this question?
The solution is at the bottom of the page but I am unsure on what it all means?

Q19.jpg
Reply 26
I'm not actually doing the exam as I sat my Higher Maths last year, but I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck for Monday. I struggled with Maths so much all the way through S5, but with the work and effort, it will come to you in the exam. Trust me, I got 28% in the prelim and managed to get up to a B (which was 65%+ last year).

I'm sure you'll all do brilliantly :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Revolver72
I've got the foundations. Doing my serious studying over the next three days. I'm sure it'll be okay though! :smile:.

Mega stressed D: what's optimisation!!!!????
Reply 28
Original post by OpenArms
Does anybody know how to do this question?
The solution is at the bottom of the page but I am unsure on what it all means?

Q19.jpg

if log to base 3 of y =x then we replace the x with 1, this tells us that y=3^1 so y=3 therefore we know the graph passes through the point (1,3) the easy way to do it is to know that the if x = 1 the the log base is y :smile: also we then work out where it crosses the axis, so we know we cant take the log of 0 as we never reach 0 on a log graph so y cant = 0 so when x=0 y=1 as anything to power 0 is 1 :smile: tha make the answer C! i hope that helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
hey esmerelda ;D
Reply 30
Original post by Imfeelingthis
whats omtimisation D:

# clueless
Original post by Esmeee
# clueless

just a tad:frown:
Reply 32
Original post by Reece:)
if log to base 3 of y =x then we replace the x with 1, this tells us that y=3^1 so y=3 therefore we know the graph passes through the point (1,3) the easy way to do it is to know that the if x = 1 the the log base is y :smile: also we then work out where it crosses the axis, so we know we cant take the log of 0 as we never reach 0 on alog graph so y cant = 0 so when x=0 y=1 as anything to power 0 is 1 :smile: i hope that helps!

Aw I get you! Thanks!
Reply 33
Aw I get you! Thanks!

Sorry for the long way of explaining it! its hard to type all this out on an ipod :frown:!
Reply 34
Sorry for the long way of explaining it! its hard to type all this out on an ipod :frown:!

and there was me thinking it was an ipad with that little message it comes up with :wink:
Reply 35
Original post by Esmeee
Mega stressed D: what's optimisation!!!!????

Optimisation is just differentiation in context for example finding the dimensions on a 3-D shape which will give a minimum or a maximum volume - similar lay-out to finding stationary points
Reply 36
and there was me thinking it was an ipad with that little message it comes up with :wink:

Oo I wish :wink: I hope to get one soon though:L!

Reply 37
Original post by DK95
Optimisation is just differentiation in context for example finding the dimensions on a 3-D shape which will give a minimum or a maximum volume - similar lay-out to finding stationary points

ah ok, thanks :smile:
Reply 38
http://m.mpatel.webnode.com/exam-papers/ there you go :smile: hope that helps! if you need any help just ask :biggrin:

Thanks! Was looking for old past papers too! :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by daisyclouds
Thanks! Was looking for old past papers too! :smile:

No bother:smile:! is the link working:smile:? my ipod is bad at copying links:P

Quick Reply

Latest