The Student Room Group

OCR M1 - 31st May 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Did Jan 2012 today as a mock, the last question was a real ball ache. Otherwise an ok paper - slightly more challenging than usual. Has anyone else already done this paper?

Edit: For anyone who hasn't sat this paper, I've attached both it and the mark scheme.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Choppyy
Did Jan 2012 today as a mock, the last question was a real ball ache. Otherwise an ok paper - slightly more challenging than usual. Has anyone else already done this paper?

Edit: For anyone who hasn't sat this paper, I've attached both it and the mark scheme.

I have done it ... i thought it was ok... i think we are going to
get a real hard one this year!!
Did M1 may 2007 as a mock and got 69/72, and we marked June 2010 which was a HW and got 66/72.

I didnt get the last question in June 2010 at all, about the accelerarion of 2 blocks on top of each other, i got the top block, but i failed the bottom block completely... -.-
Reply 63
I hope M1 is as easy as some of these past papers... but just one question, Vectors. I have never seen vectors come up in an exam paper, are they even in the syllabus?! i've seen them in the textbook and can answer questions from them... but I don't know of any exam style questions to revise from?
Reply 64
can someone help me on june 2010 question 1iii :frown: the mark scheme is basically saying that the f in f=ma is the same as the f in f=muR to work out mu and i dont get it?!
Reply 65
hi everyone hows revision going? was ondering if anyone knew what the grade boundaries usually are for this paper?
Reply 66
Original post by Choppyy

Thanks so much. Im really worried for this exam... i havnt revised for it since easter.... :L
Original post by louise_234
can someone help me on june 2010 question 1iii :frown: the mark scheme is basically saying that the f in f=ma is the same as the f in f=muR to work out mu and i dont get it?!

For 1iii)
there are no external vertical forces acting on the block so R is just 3x0.8 or 3g.
as there are no vertical forces on the block the friction is basically the only forces acting horizontally on the block so the F in F=muR is equal to the F in F=ma and it is the only horizontal force there.
So F=3x1.2 = 3.6N and R=3g
So mu = 3.6/3g = 0.122.
I look back on it now and I realise I'm rubbish at explaining things. it might make no sense but hopefully that helps :smile:
Reply 68
oh okay i get it now thanks! could someone help me on number 5 on june 2009 please?
Reply 69
Silly question but the mark scheme is unclear, how do you calculate the CHANGE in momentum of a particle?

Original post by MathewAlanJones
x

Original post by ugk4life
x

Original post by Tyles
x
Reply 70
bump
Original post by master y
Silly question but the mark scheme is unclear, how do you calculate the CHANGE in momentum of a particle?

Just do intital - final!
Reply 72
Original post by hannah1994
Just do intital - final!

It doesn't work! unless im being REALLY stupid. haha, i'll try again later...
Reply 73
Original post by master y
It doesn't work! unless im being REALLY stupid. haha, i'll try again later...

mass x (intial velocity + final velocity )

unless the velocities are going the same way then its mass(initial velocity-final velocity)
hi everyone hows revision going? was ondering if anyone knew what the grade boundaries usually are for this paper?

For an A grade:
Jan 2012: 56/72
June 2011: 55/72
Jan 2011: 53/72
June 2010: 54/72

I despise mechanics... our teacher for it is so amazingly bad... it's ridiculous, but oh well :/
Reply 75
Original post by icy elemental
For an A grade:

I despise mechanics... our teacher for it is so amazingly bad... it's ridiculous, but oh well :/

I thought the jan 2012 paper was ridiculous compared to the others. maybe just me :frown:
Reply 76
Original post by icy elemental
For an A grade:

thanks, by the looks of it i should be able to get at least 80 ums. c3 and c4 are more important than this anyway so at least we dont have to place much importance on this.

Original post by Tyles
I thought the jan 2012 paper was ridiculous compared to the others. maybe just me :frown:

yeah me too strange it is the lowest boundary.
Reply 77
thanks, by the looks of it i should be able to get at least 80 ums. c3 and c4 are more important than this anyway so at least we dont have to place much importance on this.

yeah me too strange it is the lowest boundary.

arn't they all /600?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Also, i have done if not all the past papers for OCR and some for edexcel, has anybody got any online resource style questions and answers i can just go through? thanks.
Reply 79
Original post by Tyles
Also, i have done if not all the past papers for OCR and some for edexcel, has anybody got any online resource style questions and answers i can just go through? thanks.

Original post by Tyles
arn't they all /600?

yeah they are but in terms of an a* c3 and 4 are more important so hopefully if we get a 90 average in those two our m1 mark will not be so important.

in terms of papers im not sure, ive done most ocr once but am planning to do each one twice before thursday and tbh i wasnt planning on doing much more revision than that.

Quick Reply

Latest