The Student Room Group

job interview tomorrow - I feel bad for lying! :(

Hi guys,

I got off the phone with a job agency and i got invited to interview for a job tomorrow. The lady asked if I was available on an ongoing basis and I said yes. This is obviously not true as i'm planning on going back to uni in october. So should I feel bad for telling a white lie? What would you have done? I feel that if I had told her I was going back to uni, she's have told me "we're looking for people are more committed" - this is despite the role being a temp one!

pay is pretty good though :smile:. around £13 ph.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who gives a **** about inconveniencing them? They are a massive company pulling in millions and millions every year.

Think of it like this. You can earn £13 per hour or you can earn nothing. I know what I would choose.
Reply 2
If I was your boss I'd be annoyed to train you only to have you leave for uni two months later. Perhaps won't make for the best reference, but on the other hand it can't hurt. Just make sure you give the proper amount of notice.
Reply 3
It's only a temp role - I've done the same! Make sure you give your notice in at the appropriate time :smile:
lying is part of the game of finding a job
It says you will be offered 400 hours. That's 8 hours per week; not much! One shift really. Also,
'In the event that the Employee is working on a part time basis, that is working less than 37½ hours per week then the minimum hours undertaken to be offered during the said twelve month period will be reduced proportionately'

You can also always quit; if you don't give your notice, you'll get fired and won't get a reference most likely.
Reply 6
Haha, such a coincidence :biggrin: er, if you're worried about how many hours you're doing tick the box so you won't have to work over 48 hrs a week. I usually have to give one weeks' notice - I can't see anything on there that suggests you can't quit after 2 months if you give the appropriate notice but I've never worked with office angels - I work for two local agencies.

Do you have a particular job in mind? You could see if they have any really short contracts (like two weeks) where it wouldnt affect them if you quit for uni?

Best of luck anyways :smile:
Reply 7
Sh*t sorryyyy - just re-read OP! As lovers in japan said, the 400 hours would be spread over - you could ask in your interview if you could work your hours on a full time basis? As you don't have a set time, it's just an ongoing role as long as you give your two weeks to the agency you should be ok!
Reply 8
I doubt they would - the contract says that the employee will be offered a minimum of 400 hrs not that you'll be forced to work it. The only thing it says about an employee terminating the contract is that you must carry out a two week notice period.
Reply 9
haha amazing! Best of luck, let us know how it goes :biggrin: you can always say you got a place in clearing :biggrin:
One way or another you lied. I don't understand the point of this thread to be honest, all you've done is basically told us what you've done.
Now, whether it's hurting your conscience or not is your problem, all I know is that you've lied to get your own way and you'd better hope you can get away with it (which you probably will, to be honest).

So basically, life goes on, yadda yadda yadda. Get over it, go earn your £13 an hour and just remember the people who have no job and plan on going to Uni, and be grateful that you have a job despite having lied for it :smile:
Yeah, that does seem strange. I think it's for people who work full time for a year or more really - there are a lot of mixed reviews online! Having read some of these I still think you should go for it as long as it's only until october. Also, I wouldn't feel bad about lying to them - they don't sound brilliant :wink:

Spoiler

Oh gosh! That's awkward, I'd personally say I went through clearing and got lucky because application numbers are so low this year. You can say you didn't feel suited to the role? I wouldn't say going back to uni cause then it's obvious you knew all along you were hiding it :/
Ahh, fair play. Are you going back after a gap year then?
Ahh, can you not get a maintenance loan? Because I did two years previous study and couldn't get my tuition sorted but they let me have the minimum loan :smile:

Would the internships offer you the same amount of money? It's hard choosing between stuff that will be of benefit in the future and what you need to get done to survive haha

And my day's been wonderful though I need a job as the days are staring to get a bit mundane (got offered temp work in a chicken factory, which I politely declined) hope you're well :smile:
haha, not at all, I'd rather be homeless - one of the agencies I worked for offered it to me.

Ah, didn't realise it was for an MSc :/ don't think you can get anything apart from the career development loan.
Ah, I completely understand, do you get "you should be independent by now, I didn't expect to be supporting you for this long" type of stuff?
Good luck with the scholarship!!
Aw no, I'm so sorry to hear that :/ would the uni give you any support if you explained? Must be so stressful for you :hugs:
Ah, fair enough. Feel free to pm if you ever need to chat/rant. I'm an anonymous internet user :smile:
Nah, they always say this kind of crud, they're just trying to get their finders fee. I would feel bad lying personally, but the fact is that most agency recruiters lie as a matter of course.

As for excuses, just say "personal reasons" and that you don't want to discuss it. Problem solved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending