The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jane64
Thanks Laura, I'll give it a while longer before I panic!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I have to admit I was doing my fair share of worrying by about day 10!! Then I looked at the FB group and some people had waitied a month so that put my mind at rest :smile:
Reply 781
I submitted mine on a Thursday and heard the following Tuesday afternoon but I know some of the others who were there with me had waited a little longer than that. Good luck :smile:

Original post by Jane64
I submitted mine on a Thursday and heard the following Tuesday afternoon but I know some of the others who were there with me had waited a little longer than that. Good luck :smile:

What was that to hear if you had passed it? I'm scared to hit submit!!:s-smilie:
Reply 783
I have my AC on 28th Aug in Manchester, if anyone's booked for that session?

Already trying to think of ways to make my lesson interactive - what have other people done?

Thanks! CC
Reply 784
Hiya again All:smile: I'm stuck on two SKA question PLEASE HELP! It's for Secondary English :smile:

Just stuck on approach and reasources to gain more understanding: Q2 As an English teacher you are required to study the development of English, including its development over time, current influences, borrowings from other languages, origins of words and the impact of technology on spoken and written communication (3.4e) What is your understanding of the role of language development in an English classroom?
and Q4 In what ways can an English teacher contribute to the development of oracy skills within the classroom? I've searched for more expansion on both but not really found anything concrete. I only have 3 days left to complete! (It really flies by... :smile: Feel free to inbox me bk or comment here, normally I'd be okay but finding these two solid! Thanks for any guidance guys x
Original post by Flozzy
Hiya again All:smile: I'm stuck on two SKA question PLEASE HELP! It's for Secondary English :smile:

Just stuck on approach and reasources to gain more understanding: Q2 As an English teacher you are required to study the development of English, including its development over time, current influences, borrowings from other languages, origins of words and the impact of technology on spoken and written communication (3.4e) What is your understanding of the role of language development in an English classroom?
and Q4 In what ways can an English teacher contribute to the development of oracy skills within the classroom? I've searched for more expansion on both but not really found anything concrete. I only have 3 days left to complete! (It really flies by... :smile: Feel free to inbox me bk or comment here, normally I'd be okay but finding these two solid! Thanks for any guidance guys x

Did Aaron not reply on the FB page?
Reply 786
Original post by laura.a.c265
What was that to hear if you had passed it? I'm scared to hit submit!!:s-smilie:

That was my application form that I submitted on the Thursday.

Hi! I heard yesterday that I too have an offer for secondary English - there seem to be a lot of us! Was very surprised to get the call as I was a reapplicant and I didn't feel this year's AC went any better than last year's - but very happy :smile: Now just to pass the dreaded SKA...
Original post by misseckleburg
Hi! I heard yesterday that I too have an offer for secondary English - there seem to be a lot of us! Was very surprised to get the call as I was a reapplicant and I didn't feel this year's AC went any better than last year's - but very happy :smile: Now just to pass the dreaded SKA...

Ah so happy to hear that...there seem to be a lot of us reapplicants getting through this year...must be all that resiliance :smile:
Original post by dougkurr
I have a question that's off topic...

I have passed the Assessment Centre and am in contact with a Graduate Contact in the West Midlands office. I was just wondering whether I should expect to be based in the West Midlands?

Has anyone been through the whole process and been in touch with a Graduate Contact who was in say the North East, but ended up being placed in London? Or does your Graduate Contact's location reflect where your placement will be?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

To further allay your fears I was contacted by someone in East Midlands and my subject isnt offered in the East Midlands!!
Yay, I've just been invited to AC in London on the 15th of September. :smile: Took them less than 24 hours to get back to me, very efficient indeed!
Reply 791
@ Laura, he did I just didn't see straight away :smile: my app has been playing up!
I've submitted now so hoping for the best :biggrin: thanks for everyone's help.

BTW the SKA does take your full focus and out of the five I would say at least three require you to pay close attention to the programme of study. My tip is to sign up to TES if you haven't already and have a look at the lesson plans and activitites as well as the questions and answers if you get stuck xxxx
Does anybody know what the salary is for the two years of the scheme?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 793
Original post by pombear lingo!
Does anybody know what the salary is for the two years of the scheme?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

Salary information and pay scales for the two years can be found on the Teach First website under FAQs, here - "What salary will I be paid?" - http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/faqs.html

But basically you're paid as an unqualified teacher for the first year and then as an NQT in the second; your exact salary would depend on the region you teach in and any additional responsibilities you take on in Year 2, with the highest salaries obviously being in inner London. If you want more detailed information on salary scales, there's some on the government's Get into Teaching website, http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/salary.aspx. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 794
Just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me...

I'm planning on applying for 2014 entry which is the same year I finish my degree. Will I be able to apply this time next year for entry and if I did get an offer for 2014 entry, would it be a conditional offer based on the results of my third year?

Secondly, what funding options are there for Teach First?

Original post by Samus2
Just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me...

I'm planning on applying for 2014 entry which is the same year I finish my degree. Will I be able to apply this time next year for entry and if I did get an offer for 2014 entry, would it be a conditional offer based on the results of my third year?

Secondly, what funding options are there for Teach First?

Yes. Yes. See r13's post above on salaries :biggrin:
Hi...

Was just wondering if anyone could help me with the SKA (History) I am stumped!! I got it through yesterday but want to finish it ASAP as I have my dissertation to finish by the end August too! aggh!

The last three questions seem okay but the first two are so vague I have no idea if I am getting at what they are looking for!

"Outline how much you know and understand about the following aspects of the curriculum" : Short of repeating it verbatim I have no idea how to show I know this stuff...its just seem natural to me and the curriculum spells it out pretty clearly..am i overthinking this?
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here at The Student Room and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to answer a few of my questions regarding Teach First and how it works exactly (I have checked out the website, but I'm hoping you can make things a bit more simpler for me).

1. Will I be considered for any subjects (if so, which) with a Psychology degree?

2. When does the application process start for September 2013?

3. I live in the North West. Does your current location have any impact on where you might be placed to work, should your application be successful?

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. This is something I'm really interested in.
Reply 798
Original post by Lucinda354
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here at The Student Room and I'm hoping you would be so kind as to answer a few of my questions regarding Teach First and how it works exactly (I have checked out the website, but I'm hoping you can make things a bit more simpler for me).

1. Will I be considered for any subjects (if so, which) with a Psychology degree?

3. I live in the North West. Does your current location have any impact on where you might be placed to work, should your application be successful?

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer. This is something I'm really interested in.

Hi Lucinda :smile:

1. I'm not exactly sure what subjects you'd be eligible to teach with a Psychology degree - it might be worth getting in touch with Teach First graduate recruitment via the email on their website or ringing up, they've always been very helpful in my experience and quick to reply. There are some subjects you can teach at secondary level with only an A-Level grade A or B in the subject, so that might be an option for you too depending on your A-Levels, but best to get in touch with Teach First directly and ask. They're friendly!

2. The application process for September 2013 opened in June and will be ongoing until they've filled all the places.. I got an offer at the end of June for 2013 and I think popular subjects will fill up fairly quickly so I'd recommend applying as soon as possible.

3. If you're successful, TF ask that you're prepared to work anywhere in England, but if you have extenuating circumstances that mean you need to be in a particular area you can say so on your application form. You do get to rate the different regions in order of preference when you apply, so you'd be able to rate the North West as your first choice for example, but they make it clear there are no guarantees, as you'll be allocated where the need is greatest for you personally.

Hope that's helpful.
Original post by Lucinda354
Hi Everyone,

I echo everything r13 said. You can teach Primary with Psychology and if you want to teach Secondary it entirely depends on your A levels. It's all on the website on this page

http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/recruitment/requirements/teaching-subject-requirements.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending